PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA - transporting guns an issue?

hbogart
02-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I am probably moving to California in March, and I am concerned about some of the guns I own causing a problem.

In particular, I have a Springfield M1A (loaded model) that has a flash suppressor and I have some 20-round magazines. I also have a 10-round magazine and could just not bring the 20s. I am planning to bring this on a flight into the state, not in my car.

I also have a Sig P226 with 15-round magazines. I just looked on the Sig website and didn't see 10-round mags available.

I could remove the flash suppressor on the M1A and install a muzzle break, but want to avoid the cost of that if possible. I had an email message from Springfield indicating that I would be ok and did not have to do that, but I can't find it now. Or do I just register it as an AW, and then bring it in?

I also have a lot of ammo for the P226 and 2 revolvers, but I suspect having ammo and the handguns in my car - even if they are unloaded and in locked cases - might be a problem when I drive to CA. Is that the case, or will that be ok?

Are there any things I need to avoid doing or need to do?

wildhawker
02-12-2011, 12:23 PM
* Drop the hider on the M1A and move over to a muzzle brake. California will not allow you (as a "regular" citizen) to register an AW at this time.
* Break down the hi-caps into parts.
* Plenty of Sig and aftermarket 10 round mags for the P226.
* Lawful firearms may be transported unloaded in locked cases. Ammunition can be stored in the same case, or in any other manner except in concealed magazines.

See, wiki.calgunsfoundation.org. See also, http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html.