PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Documentation?

bizarrocolin
02-12-2011, 8:22 AM
I'm not from CA originally, and I will be taking my new handgun out shooting tomorrow. These may be stupid questions, but CA laws confuse the crap out of me, so I would like to know:

1: What documentation do I NEED to take with me?

2: What documentation SHOULD I take with me?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

jtmkinsd
02-12-2011, 8:32 AM
Legally you are not required to carry anything...that includes ID, unless you are driving.

Matt3989
02-12-2011, 8:37 AM
Bring your drivers license as the range keeps them while you shoot. If you don't have your ccw, make sure the gun is locked and unloaded while transporting. No other documentation is required.

bizarrocolin
02-12-2011, 9:00 AM
Thanks for the info. and the quick responses.

bjl333
02-12-2011, 9:15 AM
I'm not from CA originally, and I will be taking my new handgun out shooting tomorrow. These may be stupid questions, but CA laws confuse the crap out of me, so I would like to know:

1: What documentation do I NEED to take with me?

2: What documentation SHOULD I take with me?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered.

As long as the new gun is purchased in Cali then the above ^^ is gtg. If you brought it in from another state thats a different story!

jtmkinsd
02-12-2011, 9:56 AM
Bring your drivers license as the range keeps them while you shoot. If you don't have your ccw, make sure the gun is locked and unloaded while transporting. No other documentation is required.

That depends on the range. :D

Librarian
02-12-2011, 10:02 AM
As long as the new gun is purchased in Cali then the above ^^ is gtg. If you brought it in from another state thats a different story!

Eh? Why do you think so?

Short of registered 'assault weapons' there is no more reason to carry paperwork on your guns than there is to carry paperwork on the shoes you are wearing.

PsychGuy274
02-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Eh? Why do you think so?

Short of registered 'assault weapons' there is no more reason to carry paperwork on your guns than there is to carry paperwork on the shoes you are wearing.

I thought that you don't need to carry papers for RAWs?

Librarian
02-12-2011, 12:01 PM
I thought that you don't need to carry papers for RAWs?

You don't - but it's easier to do that and avoid the drama, and anecdotes here suggest a lot of RAW owners do carry docs, for that reason.

Cokebottle
02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
You are confusing paperwork retention requirements with the requirement to register handguns upon relocation to California.

There is no requirement to carry or even keep any paperwork on any firearm in California, other than it being recommended that paperwork be retained on RAW.

Yes, you are correct, it is a legal requirement that handguns imported by new residents be declared and registered, but there is still no requirement to carry the registration paperwork.

And being in possession of an unregistered handgun is not a crime unless you are violating certain other crimes.

PsychGuy274
02-12-2011, 12:12 PM
While I'm not required to, I always carry paperwork and full descriptions (including pictures) of my firearms whenever I take them outside my home. The reason for that is if I'm at the range or something and one gets stolen, I can immediately call a LEO and give him all the information they need to find my firearm. The faster they get the info, the easier it will be to recover my property as far as I'm concerned.

bjl333
02-12-2011, 12:13 PM
You are confusing paperwork retention requirements with the requirement to register handguns upon relocation to California.

There is no requirement to carry or even keep any paperwork on any firearm in California, other than it being recommended that paperwork be retained on RAW.

Yes, you are correct, it is a legal requirement that handguns imported by new residents be declared and registered, but there is still no requirement to carry the registration paperwork.

And being in possession of an unregistered handgun is not a crime unless you are violating certain other crimes.

That be it !!

bizarrocolin
02-12-2011, 12:18 PM
On that note, if you are registering a hg as a new resident, does anyone know how long it takes to get a response letter? And, do you have to wait to get the letter before you can take it shooting?

Cokebottle
02-12-2011, 12:27 PM
On that note, if you are registering a hg as a new resident, does anyone know how long it takes to get a response letter?
2-6 months?
And, do you have to wait to get the letter before you can take it shooting?
Nope. As soon as you mail the paperwork and your $19, you have completed your obligation to the State.
You can take it shooting the day you bring it into the state.

Carrying an unregistered handgun is only a crime when done in combination with certain other crimes, including unlawfully carrying concealed. These are primarily anti-gang laws and for the most part are not a concern to normal citizens.