PDA

View Full Version : Russian Army 7.62x39 issue ammo..

gunafficionado
02-12-2011, 8:29 AM
Does anyone know what type of ammo the Russian Army is issued? Specifically 7.2x39, is it laquer coated or polymer coated, bullet type and case material (brass or steel)? Is Wolf the official supplier of ammunition or is there a bigger "manufacturer"?

kurac
02-12-2011, 8:36 AM
Well that should be easy to answer, the Russian army does not use 7.62 x 39 and they have not for a long time.

Google AK 74 and 5.45 X 39

Mssr. Eleganté
02-12-2011, 6:07 PM
...Is Wolf the official supplier of ammunition or is there a bigger "manufacturer"?

Wolf is not a manufacturer at all. They just buy ammo from factories all over the world (mostly Russia) and market it as Wolf ammo. The big Russian ammo manufacturers making the stuff we see here are...

Ulyanovsk
Barnaul
Vympel
Tula Cartridge Works (imported as Wolf and now Tula)

Back when the Soviets phased out 7.62x39 as the standard issue caliber I believe they were using lacquer-coated, steel-cased ammo with 8M2/M67 style FMJ projectiles and corrosive berdan primers. The Soviet army would have acquired ammo from all of the ammunition plants in the country.

gunafficionado
02-13-2011, 4:37 AM
Wolf is not a manufacturer at all. They just buy ammo from factories all over the world (mostly Russia) and market it as Wolf ammo. The big Russian ammo manufacturers making the stuff we see here are...

Ulyanovsk
Barnaul
Vympel
Tula Cartridge Works (imported as Wolf and now Tula)

Back when the Soviets phased out 7.62x39 as the standard issue caliber I believe they were using lacquer-coated, steel-cased ammo with 8M2/M67 style FMJ projectiles and corrosive berdan primers. The Soviet army would have acquired ammo from all of the ammunition plants in the country.

Thanks for the info. I thought that there was a Russian version of Lake City where all (or most) of military ammo was manufactured.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-13-2011, 4:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I thought that there was a Russian version of Lake City where all (or most) of military ammo was manufactured.

One of the Russian ammo plants might now be the equivalent of our Lake City. I don't know what kind of volume each plant is producing or which ones currently supply most of the ammo for the Russian Federation. Some or all of them have probably been privatized. But even we used to have multiple government owned ammunition plants producing ammo for the military. Lake City is just the last one left. It is owned by the government but run by private businesses (currently ATK). Back in the 1970's when the Soviets switched to the 5.45x39 caliber all of their ammo plants would have been state run and making ammo either for the Soviet military or for export to pro-Soviet countries/insurgencies. It wasn't until the 1990's that they were able to start exporting ammo to the U.S. "sporting" market.

The Russian
03-05-2011, 2:22 AM
The Russian Military has never phased out the 7.62x39mm. AK, AKM, RPK, variants include 7.62, 5.56, and 5.45. The most trusted Russian or Soviet round is 7.62. The other rounds are for market purpose, we never trusted the rounds especially the 5.45. They (5.45) were still used by Soviet, Soviet Block, and Russian Military, but never replaced the 7.62. It was designed to compete with 5.56 to begin with. Anyway, just to clarify.

Stryfe76
03-05-2011, 10:11 AM
By Market Purpose do you mean the civilian market?