PDA

View Full Version : M1a and 11+ round mags.

misterjake
02-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm confused.

I've had some old, rusty m1a/m14 mags for years. I collected them from a garage sale back in '97.

I was into military memorabilia, had model airplanes, bullet casings etc...as a teenager.

Anyways, I bought a featureless m1a a few years ago. It's a stock socom 16, with the muzzle brake, no handle etc.

It passes the CA flow chart.

Can I use the high capacity magazines in it as they were purchased before the ban and the rifle is not classified as an AW or will putting in the 11+ round mags make it an AW?

I'm confused.

Anchors
02-11-2011, 10:57 PM
If it is truly featureless and doesn't have a flash hider (muzzle break only).
Then yes it is completely legal.

dantodd
02-11-2011, 11:01 PM
If the weapon doesn't have a bullet button type device using a large capacity magazine will not alter its AW status.

Sent via tapatalk on my Samsung Vibrant.

misterjake
02-11-2011, 11:05 PM
If it is truly featureless and doesn't have a flash hider (muzzle break only).
Then yes it is completely legal.

Yep, it's a stock m1a.

Thanks.

Reductio
02-11-2011, 11:07 PM
If the mags are rusty, you can get a re-build kit, replace all the parts in the old mags, and just keep those rusty ones disassembled.

misterjake
02-11-2011, 11:18 PM
If the mags are rusty, you can get a re-build kit, replace all the parts in the old mags, and just keep those rusty ones disassembled.

Would it be worth it to keep the old rusty mags? I never thought I'd use them so I did not take good care of them over the years.

I have rebuild kits but I thought I couldn't have them assembled.

Well, I know what I'm doing tomorrow! :)

killathrilla
02-11-2011, 11:23 PM

odysseus
02-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Keep your standard capacity mags in your zombie survival kit and use only your 10 rounders at the range...why take the chance of having a problem with a LEO. Standard cap mags won't do anything to help your shoot better but will definatley make you look tacticool ;)

Well hmmm...

For one I have had high cap mags for the m1a since before the Cal ban, and I want to use them. And also, you got to use them from time to time to make sure they are working right. If that makes me "tacticool", I guess I have been that way for many years now.

Really - are we still concerned about being able to legally use our legally possessed high caps mags at a range? Maybe some of you here are a little new... and maybe that is the problem inside the issue.

misterjake
02-11-2011, 11:48 PM
This whole thread will be moot soon as I've heard.

If I get busted for something now and will be legally able to use them soon even though I never broke the law in the first place then what's the big deal?

curtisfong
02-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Not moot. You should still understand the law (which won't change anytime soon) fully, regardless of the outcome of the CGF mag capacity hack.

PhantomII
02-12-2011, 6:29 AM
If purchased prior to the ban, 20 and 30 round mags are legal on an M1A with a muzzle brake.

But I suspect you'll soon discover that 20 round mags make you go through ammo twice as fast and can get expensive quick.

I stick to 10 round mags for that reason.

Fyathyrio
02-12-2011, 9:42 AM
If they aren't rusty beyond repair, try some of this stuff. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BNZGY0/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1SV1BYDTUK2Z5) Comes in a variety of sizes, just soak 'em and you're good.

bruss01
02-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Sorry if this is fud, but I thought that any 10+ magazine in a semi-auto rifle made it into an assault weapon? But that there were exceptions for tubular magazines (like Marlin model 60's) and also for bolt/lever/pump rifles that must be manually cycled? Also, naturally, exempt if the rifle is already a registered assault weapon.

What am I missing?

bruss01
02-12-2011, 11:08 AM
If they aren't rusty beyond repair, try some of this stuff. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BNZGY0/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1SV1BYDTUK2Z5) Comes in a variety of sizes, just soak 'em and you're good.

Soak rusty metal in wood bleach solution (oxalyc acid). It will dissolve the rust, and leave the metal untouched. Then either blue or paint them. Should be nearly as good as new. You can get wood bleach dry powder at the hardware store. It's poison (on par with any typical household cleaner) so you'd be well advised not to get it in/on yourself.

bohoki
02-12-2011, 11:12 AM
if it accepts a "detachable magazine" you can stick any one that fits in it

MrClamperSir
02-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Sorry if this is fud, but I thought that any 10+ magazine in a semi-auto rifle made it into an assault weapon? But that there were exceptions for tubular magazines (like Marlin model 60's) and also for bolt/lever/pump rifles that must be manually cycled? Also, naturally, exempt if the rifle is already a registered assault weapon.

What am I missing?

Your missing this!
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Sniper3142
02-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Keep your standard capacity mags in your zombie survival kit and use only your 10 rounders at the range...why take the chance of having a problem with a LEO. Standard cap mags won't do anything to help your shoot better but will definatley make you look tacticool ;)

I totally disagree with you on this.

I only have 20 and 30 round magazines for my M1A and AR15s (all RAWs). They were all purchased before the ban. Some have been rebuilt using Magpul PMag parts.

They are the only magazines I have for these rifles and I think it would be silly and pretty damn spineless to go out and purchase 10 rounders just to please the antis, cowards, and uninformed. ;)

aermotor
02-12-2011, 1:10 PM
If purchased prior to the ban, 20 and 30 round mags are legal on an M1A with a muzzle brake.

But I suspect you'll soon discover that 20 round mags make you go through ammo twice as fast and can get expensive quick.

Pretty sure they never made 25 or 30 round M14 mags preban. Doesn't matter though since if you legally possessed 20 rounders, you can rebuild them into whatever you want.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-12-2011, 2:42 PM
Pretty sure they never made 25 or 30 round M14 mags preban. Doesn't matter though since if you legally possessed 20 rounders, you can rebuild them into whatever you want.

I know for sure that they made 30 rounders for the M1A before 1994. They were crappy ones that just had the locking lug stamped into the metal instead of the welded lug. I think they were made by USA Mag.

bohoki
02-12-2011, 3:49 PM
I know for sure that they made 30 rounders for the M1A before 1994. They were crappy ones that just had the locking lug stamped into the metal instead of the welded lug. I think they were made by USA Mag.

oh man i remember those they had plastic followers and felt so thin you could kind of pinch the metal in your bare hands
and that locking lug never protruded enough to lock it well so you could just knock it out without using the release

i dont think usamags was responsible for those

Cato
02-12-2011, 4:15 PM

...and 7.62 Nato isn't cheap. I rarely shoot through a couple 20 rounders in a range visit. But it's always nice to have 20 rounders, just 'cause.

JagerTroop
02-12-2011, 4:43 PM

Why take a chance? What problem? This is totally legal.

Also, I think you need to learn what "tacticool" is. Tacticool would be using a 10/20 mag(just to look cool). Using a standard cap mag is just... well... it's just normal.

pMcW
02-12-2011, 5:09 PM

Nobody says you have to fill the magazines! The next question might be: "Why would you use them then?"

I have 10/20s for my M1A (haven't been in CA long enough) because the size of the magazine in an M1A does change the ergonomics of the rifle noticeably (IMHO). Even though they are 10/20s, I generally only load 3-5 rounds at the range. That gives me more opportunities to pause for introspection and to practice my reloads, and keeps me from burning through ammo too fast.

On the pistol side of the range I usually load 5 in each mag for the same reason.

cdtx2001
02-12-2011, 6:03 PM
I use my old 20rnd mags in my M1A all the time. I had them before the ban and my rifle doesn't have any evil features. It is NOT illegal to use them. I've also never been hassled about using them at any range I've been to.

Anchors
02-12-2011, 6:58 PM

What am I missing?

The fact that a 10+ magazine in a semi-auto, centerfire rifle only makes it an AW if it has a fixed magazine.

For example.
30 round magazine in an AR with a bullet button = AW
30 round magazine in a "featureless" AR with no PG, flash hider, etc = 100% legal.

Fixed magazines over 10 rounds make an semi-auto, centerfire rifle an AW in CA.

So it was FUD, but that is okay haha.