PDA

View Full Version : New Member

fmhemker
02-11-2011, 8:22 PM
New member, located in Los Angeles. The last gun I shot (about 10 years ago), was my father's WWII vintage Colt 1911.

Originally, I'm from rural Michigan (where you weren't considered a gun nut until you had more than 10 guns), so until I started doing research, I had no idea how hard it was to buy a gun in California. I'm not looking for much, probably just a 22 pistol to do some target shooting, but you think I'm trying to buy a machine gun.

I pretty sure my father, who lives in Minnesota, is having an easier time getting his CCP than I am getting a nice little 22.

In any case, I'm interested in hearing about good ranges, cheap Rugers, and inexpensive ammo.

Also, if I wasn't planning to go out and get myself a 1911, is there any other reason to prefer a Ruger 22/45 to the Mark III?

bjl333
02-11-2011, 8:25 PM
Welcome to Calguns !!! The 22/45 is cheaper then the MKIII.

fmhemker
02-11-2011, 8:27 PM
My concern is that I don't have a very big budget (think <$400 out the door). So I would just like to make sure that I'm getting the most for my money. For someone who hasn't shot in a long, long time and would like to get back in to it, am I going to be regretting not investing the extra $50.00 in a Mark III Target when I had the chance?

bjl333
02-11-2011, 8:33 PM
If its the MKIII you want then go and get it!! The bottom line is ... Your GUN !!! You gotta be happy with it. The MKIII is a great pistol and there is nothing wrong to step up to that pistol. It sounds like in the long run you'll be happier with the MKIII anyways, so why not?!?!? :thumbsup:

bsg
02-11-2011, 8:43 PM
if you have narrowed down candidates for ownership... then do a hands on with them and shoot them as well; then decide.

the best feeling with a purchase is getting the one you really want.

welcome to the forum.

den888
02-11-2011, 8:48 PM
Welcome!

fmhemker
02-11-2011, 8:51 PM
if you have narrowed down candidates for ownership... then do a hands on with them and shoot them as well; then decide.

I just need to find a range that rents to singles.

Brandon04GT
02-11-2011, 8:59 PM

Let me know if you find one cause i'm also trying to do the same before I make my purchase.

Maybe someone should start a prospective gun buyers meet where can actually go to the range together and all rent the guns we are thinking about buying lol

bjl333
02-11-2011, 9:00 PM

Let me know if you find one cause i'm also trying to do the same before I make my purchase.

Maybe someone should start a prospective gun buyers meet where can actually go to the range together and all rent the guns we are thinking about buying lol

Both of you are LA County!!! GOOOOOO ... :D

fmhemker
02-11-2011, 9:11 PM

If you buy a membership, you can rent guns alone at Firing-Line (http://www.firingline.net/index.html) (just not on the day you buy your membership).

SoCal Bob
02-11-2011, 9:33 PM
Welcome to Calguns. The 22/45's are great .22's and Turner's frequently has them on sale.

fmhemker
02-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Anyone familiar with Gallery of Guns (http://www.galleryofguns.com/)? Bain & Davis Inc. in San Gabriel had the cheapest price for what I was looking for (within reasonable driving difference).

Colt-45
02-12-2011, 2:29 AM
Welcome to Calguns!

zod
02-12-2011, 8:13 PM
Welcome!

royalina
02-13-2011, 6:32 PM
Welcome to Calguns !!..........

bsg
02-13-2011, 7:10 PM
Anyone familiar with Gallery of Guns (http://www.galleryofguns.com/)? Bain & Davis Inc. in San Gabriel had the cheapest price for what I was looking for (within reasonable driving difference).

i stop by Bain & Davis every 3 or 4 weeks. my experiences have been positive there.

BayAreaShooter
02-13-2011, 7:17 PM
Welcome aboard. The 22/45 is a great gun as well as the MARK III. Its all personal preference.

Go Navy
02-13-2011, 9:00 PM
Don't forget to take a look at the Ruger Single Six.....interchangeable cylinders for either .22LR or .22 Mag.

mikaarce
02-14-2011, 3:45 AM
Turners has the 22/45 on sale, check them out, and welcome

fmhemker
02-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Turners has the 22/45 on sale, check them out, and welcome

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm girding my loins (http://christianisrael.freevar.com/Job+38:3) to face the notoriously fearsome gun store customer service.

One of those rare instances where an assumption isn't a bad thing; it's always loaded.
Don't point it at anything you don't want a hole in.
The handle is for handling, the trigger is for shooting.
Have you thought about what's behind what you want to shoot at?

DeanW66
02-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Welcome aboard!

Brandon04GT
02-18-2011, 2:56 AM
Just wanted to say I found a range in Van Nuys called "Target Line" and they rent to single shooters. I checked them out eariler this week and had a great experience. The staff were super friendly, patient, and their prices were very reasonable.

They honored their offer on Yelp which said if you mentioned that ad, the gun rental would be free. That includes free exchanges to try out their other guns. So in the end I only paid for the range time which was $12/no time limit (additional shooters pay $6 each to share same booth), the cost of ammo which was average for LA, and targets which were about 75c a sheet.

It's sort of a smaller place which is fine by me but I only wish they had a wider selection of guns. The range itself still consists of at least 10 lanes IIRC.

Brandon04GT
02-18-2011, 2:57 AM
double post