View Full Version : PFEC

02-11-2011, 8:18 AM
I recently decided to purchase my first handgun and have been told that it is illegal to do so, if you are deemed unable to own or purchase a firearm by the DOJ. Although I have never been arrested, I did about 11 years ago get a ticket for driving without a license. I was fined and had to appear in court to get the matter taken care of. I decided to submit a PFEC to make sure this wouldn't cause any problems during the DROS process, but this PFEC process takes so much longer. I mailed my PFEC off weeks ago and the DOJ just now says the received it and it could take 6 weeks or longer to process. Can anyone tell me if I decide to just skip this process and do the DROS, should I list this above situation on my application?

02-11-2011, 8:22 AM
I am not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure that's not a felony or DV, you should be good to go.

02-11-2011, 8:24 AM
As long as you tool care of the ticket in timely fashion that is no problem.

02-11-2011, 8:27 AM
You should be good to go if the facts you stated are correct and you did take care of the ticket.

02-11-2011, 8:35 AM
Hey Guy's, thanks for the input, I think I am going to just opt and go for the DROS process, based on your feedback. It certainly would be nice if the DOJ processed those PFEC quicker considering it cost $20 + $10 for the notary signature.

02-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Driving without a license isn't a prohibiting offense unless it somehow became a felony. DOJ has a nice summary of the prohibiting offenses and categories here (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/prohibcatmisd.pdf). You might want to scan through that, and if you see nothing applicable to you, do the DROS.