PDA

View Full Version : Ocotillo camping trip ticket

trigger619
02-10-2011, 9:03 PM
tried searching forums for info but no luck. Just wanted some advice
as what to expect for a ticket i got last weekend at ocotillo. Its t.14 ccr 4313
firearms in park and a misdemeanor. we were shooting pellet guns.
searched my rig and found revolver. She said she was being nice
so all we got was firearms in park ticket. we were in our campsite and had my
survival/hunting pack which had the revolver.I dont want anything on my record
if at all possible.

Purple K
02-10-2011, 9:25 PM
When you are camping your tent or RV is the same as your home. You can have a gun in your camping home. Outside the tent/RV is not so ironclad.

Stonewalker
02-10-2011, 9:55 PM
My response would have been -

"Is it illegal to shoot air guns here? I don't consent to any searches". I think Purple K is right, even if firearms aren't allowed in that particular park, I think you can still have one in your domicile.

RRangel
02-10-2011, 10:02 PM
If I were you I'd lawyer up with one of the better known gun lawyers. Provided you can afford it that would be your best course of action. Try giving the Calguns Foundation a call too.

donw
02-10-2011, 10:05 PM
be careful about airguns, too...California has strange laws...

Lostsheep
02-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Did you read through this:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

Chester
02-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Where exactly were you in ocotillo? The OHV park, BLM land or Anza-borrego?

cindynles
02-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Send an email to the calguns foundation hotline. They may be able to offer some advice....
hotline@calgunsfoundation.org

creekside
02-11-2011, 1:02 AM
See this post here:

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/where-can-t-i-carry/1103-can-i-carry-ca-state-park.html

I'm not an attorney but if it were me I'd fight that ticket.

FERGUSON
02-11-2011, 1:47 PM
SHOULD HAVE RESEARCHED THE LAWS FOR OCOTILLO...EVERYTIME I GO MY PISTOL IS IN MY TENT OR LOCKED UP IN MY TRUCK.....

FERGUSON
02-11-2011, 1:49 PM
ITS A STATE PARK, NOT BLM...NOT IF YOU CROSS THE HIGHWAY ON THE SIDE OF THE BLUE INN ITS BLM OVER THERE....

FERGUSON
02-11-2011, 1:51 PM
RULES AND REGS FOR OCOTILLO WELLS

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1226

GP3
02-11-2011, 1:55 PM
RULES AND REGS FOR OCOTILLO WELLS

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1226

FIREARMS
No loaded firearms are allowed.

So...... was the revolver loaded?

Alaric
02-11-2011, 2:02 PM
If the revolver was locked up and unloaded or if you have a CCW I'd fight it.

Since it sounds like you were in the State Park where possession is otherwise banned those would be the only two grounds for dismissal that I'm aware of.

However, the pellet guns are another story. Not sure how you're going to get off on that one.

stix213
02-11-2011, 2:08 PM
I recommend refraining from answering anyone's above questions on an open forum. You haven't provided enough info to determine if you committed a crime or not with regard to the revolver, and you should keep it that way. If your revolver was unloaded in a locked container (the typical legal manner handguns are generally transported in this state without a CCW) and was in your vehicle or tent you should be fine. Contact the CGF privately, contact a lawyer that specializes in GUN LAW. There are several good ones that frequent this forum. Give full details of your situation to those individuals, not public postings that could be used against you. Someone else can probably recommend one of the good gun lawyers in your area if needed.

Good luck with this situation by the way.

BigDogatPlay
02-11-2011, 2:19 PM
If the revolver was locked up and unloaded or if you have a CCW I'd fight it.

^^^This^^^... however, if you just had the revolver in your tent unsecured and / or <<< shudder >>> loaded, then that would be why you got pinched.

Since it sounds like you were in the State Park where possession is otherwise banned those would be the only two grounds for dismissal that I'm aware of.

Agree 100%... unless the discovery of the revolver was as result of a dirty search, however it wouldn't be much of a stretch for the ranger to articulate that the presence of pellet guns (also illegal in the park) opened the door to a further search of your person and stuff for other arms, air powered or otherwise.

I would follow the recommendations above to engage the services of a competent criminal defense attorney. This is a criminal charge and you don't want to play fast and loose with it. And be prepared to be "booked" with prints and pictures taken at some point after your initial court appearance, assuming an attorney doesn't get it dismissed at that initial appearance for some reason.

Also as above.... say no more about the circumstances of the case here or in any other public forum.

Not to beat a dead horse, but stuff like this double underlines what Mud Camper put in his thread and what I know from having worked and been friends with many state park rangers.... firearms are officially not welcome in any California state park except under very specific conditions. Unloaded and locked away in secure storage, or on a CCW.

caoboy
02-11-2011, 2:28 PM
No firearms in state parks unless unloaded and locked up.

Also, depending on how the state plays it, an air rifle can be considered a 'firearm' as well as bows, slingshots, etc.

That's how my city ordinance plays their cards, so do your research before you try to fight it.

I got in trouble for shooting a CO2 powered BB gun, but the day before when we were shooting (same ranger) clear/orange tipped spring powered air soft pistols at each other they just smiled and waved. *this was in caswell state park, don't go there, the place is not great and there are no fish in the river area due too many people in the water *

GrizzlyGuy
02-11-2011, 2:44 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but stuff like this double underlines what Mud Camper put in his thread and what I know from having worked and been friends with many state park rangers.... firearms are officially not welcome in any California state park except under very specific conditions. Unloaded and locked away in secure storage, or on a CCW.

Or... you could live up here in a relatively free county where state park regulations and various other gun laws are often ignored and you can shoot biathlon in the local state park (http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20110113/COMMUNITY/110119929/1040&parentprofile=1).

http://www.sierrasun.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=SS&Date=20110113&Category=COMMUNITY&ArtNo=110119929&Ref=AR&Profile=1040&maxw=300&MaxH=300

:p

(For the record, you are of course correct): Can I have a firearm in a state park? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Faq#Can_I_have_a_firearm_in_a_state_park.3F)

BigDogatPlay
02-11-2011, 3:10 PM
Or... you could live up here in a relatively free county where state park regulations and various other gun laws are often ignored ...

The farther you get from Sacramento, the more things are ignored or otherwise permitted. There's even been depredation hunting done in some state parks from time to time. The militant environmentalist community had a fit, for instance, when DPR decided to cull the deer on Angel Island but the state went ahead anyway.

trigger619
02-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great advice.Lots of good info here.
I'll keep it updated. My court date is not till April.Wish i could just get it done already.

Big-Bob
02-12-2011, 8:37 AM
I always camp on the south side of the road past county line. It is BLM land and the rangers do not go around site to site like they do on the north side. The only time you will see Rangers on the south side is if someone is injured.

When I shoot out there I go down south pole line road a ways and have never had a problem. The only encounters I have had down south pole line is from Border Patrol, they usually stop and ask if I have seen any illegals walking through the area and ask to report to them if we see any. Never have they checked our firearms or asked for any form of identification.

trigger619
04-10-2011, 8:42 PM
Just updating this post. We all got a violation correction letter from the park ranger.
Changed it from misdemeanor to an infraction. We all went to court last Monday
and paid our $475 fine. Glad its over.

The Shadow
04-10-2011, 9:08 PM
Not that it matters anymore, but were you at Occotillo Wells in San Diego County, or Occotillo, in Imperial county ? And lastly, who gave you the ticket ?

Crom
04-10-2011, 10:09 PM
That's a rather large infraction. It's good they lowered it to an infraction. I'm curious if you retained an attorney, or did you fight it alone?

Casual_Shooter
04-10-2011, 10:13 PM
I'd be curious to know if the search was legal.

FERGUSON
04-11-2011, 8:53 AM
any updates from the OP?