PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy from Carlsbad

wormtosser
02-10-2011, 3:59 PM
Hey all,

I've been lurking and learning for awhile and figured it was time to get aboard. Great forums!

My handle here is wormtosser mostly because I can remember it - it's the same handle I never use on Bloodydecks! WT works fine, it's another nickname (Wrong Tipi - yes it's a funny story, and yes, I got in trouble with my wife) from another place but it serendipitously fits for wormtosser too.

Just bought my first gun, it's still in jail. I like to write, so I'll tell the story about why I bought it in a separate psot, er post.

WT

wormtosser
02-10-2011, 4:05 PM
Replying to myself - story #1:

I bought a handgun today. I didnít own any firearms until now, though Iím not inexperienced with their use. As a kid I loved my BB guns, and occasionally went with friends and relatives plinking at tin cans with .22 rifles and pistols. Later I served in the Navy, so I qualified with a 1911 pistol several times (never shot Expert though), learned how to operate a shotgun, had some basic small arms tactical training, and had the opportunity to have a little fun with M14s, M16s, M60 machine guns, and a few other assorted things that went bang. I got out of the Navy nearly 25 years ago, and canít recall handling a firearm since then. I have a lot of kids; my first wife was, and my current wife is, somewhat afraid of guns. My neighborhoods have been relatively crime free. I have lots of other expensive hobbies. So owning and operating a firearm just didnít seem worth the financial or marital cost.

So what changed? My kids have mostly grown up and out, the only ones left at home are wonderfully responsible and would never be at risk from the presence of a weapon. Iím also older, grumpier, and less responsive to my wifeís vague or even expressed dislikes. So a few of the impediments are gone. More essentially though, Iíve increasingly felt that I should be able to defend myself and my family should the need ever arise. And getting older has created a slow realization that the world may not be the stable, predictable place that it seems to be when one is young. Instability, mass murder and kidnapping in a foreign country less than an hour from my home; worldwide Islamist terror, increasing economic instability in this country, the massive transfer of capital to a foreign power that could be hostile Ė maybe I just watch the news too much, but all these things led to my growing unease. We arenít immune from catastrophes that could lead to civil unrest.

I was finally jolted from complacency by the elections of November 2010. While the entire country turned right, my home state of California lurched even farther in the direction of unsustainable economic practices and intensification of governmentís role in the lives of its citizens. More significantly, California elected Kamala Harris as Attorney General, a San Francisco prosecutor who sought a complete gun ban in the city, denied firearm possession to people in public housing (where criminals are certainly armed, she wanted to disarm the law-abiding), and in effect, proved that she will do whatever she can get away with to undermine the Second Amendment, which she clearly loathes. So, though I might not need to have arms today, someday I might, and that someday might be too late.

I have more esoteric political reasons too. I think that our Constitutional rights are like brains or muscles: if we donít use them, we lose them, and the 2nd Amendment faces more assaults than any aspect of American freedom. It needs to be strong. So, even if I never need that firearm, I feel compelled to let the government know Ė through its ridiculous registrations systems Ė that another well-behaved law abiding citizen Ė is exercising the 2nd Amendment. So I bought a handgun.

By the way, that handgun had to be altered by the manufacturer to be sold in California. Now it sits in California ďgun jailĒ for the next 10 days, even though I bought a safe, and even though I will have to buy some sort of additional safety device, because a governmental clerical error may preclude my hidden, locked safe from actually counting as something that will keep me and my gun far enough apart.

Somehow it seems to me that despite my new purchase, my right to keep and bear arms is still being infringed.

den888
02-10-2011, 5:10 PM
Welcome!

SoCal Bob
02-10-2011, 5:16 PM
Welcome to Calguns. So... what did you buy?

bsg
02-10-2011, 5:29 PM
welcome to the forum.

zod
02-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Liking that second post. Welcome to the never ending battle of law abiding California gun owners everywhere. Enjoy the new handgun, good to have you aboard.

wormtosser
02-11-2011, 7:50 AM
Thanks All.

Bob, I got an H&K USP Compact 9. Couldn't decide if I wanted 1911 controls(me) or DA/SA controls (wife & daughter, hopefully) so I got both. Seems to fit my hand very comfortably. Concealable in extremis. I hope I'll shoot more with the lower cost of 9mm. And it looked like it wanted to come home with me.

Big E
02-11-2011, 12:06 PM
And it looked like it wanted to come home with me.

I get that everytime I go into a gun store.:D.

Welcome to Calguns.

wormtosser
02-11-2011, 1:36 PM
I get that everytime I go into a gun store.:D.

Welcome to Calguns.

Definitely. Fishing Reels do that to me too. But unlike the the H&K, I get cheap ones. Consequences for failure and all.

trigger619
02-11-2011, 10:37 PM
welcome aboard. I'm going to the gun show tomorrow. maybe one will
want to go home with me too..

Colt-45
02-12-2011, 1:29 AM
Welcome to the forum.

DeanW66
02-16-2011, 9:09 AM
Welcome aboard!

Liking that second post. Welcome to the never ending battle of law abiding California gun owners everywhere. Enjoy the new handgun, good to have you aboard.

+1

HspncElvis
02-16-2011, 9:12 AM
Definitely. Fishing Reels do that to me too. But unlike the the H&K, I get cheap ones. Consequences for failure and all.

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a Carlsbad Lancer as your profile picture. :D

mikaarce
02-16-2011, 9:28 AM
Welcome

wormtosser
02-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a Carlsbad Lancer as your profile picture. :D

Yeah that's my kid. Step son was D-MVP on the 09-10 Lancers and a pretty good ballcarrier too, as you can see. I used my camera as an excuse to get on the field. I have way more experience shooting with slr's than with firearms. I figure when I've shot as many rounds of 9mm as I have frames of 12MP, I'll be a pretty good shot.

If you recognze my kid shoot me a pm!