PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a shotgun

its mcgavin son
02-10-2011, 12:35 PM
I am entirely new to shotguns and I would like a few questions answered. Any additional input would be appreciated..

If I carry a shotgun (registered pump-shotgun) in a rifle bag or container to and from my residence, does that bag have to be locked (unloaded, of course)? In retrospect, I assume transporting an unloaded shotgun in the cab of my pickup truck is legal as long as shells are not in the magazine tube? Can the shells be in the screwed-in side saddle? Also, can the shells be transported in my cab as well (unlocked glove compartment)?

Flopper
02-10-2011, 1:05 PM
1. Doesn't need to be in a bag or container.

2. Does not need to be locked EXCEPT WHILE IN FEDERAL GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONE.

3. As you said, must be unloaded. No round in chamber, no rounds in tube.

4. You can carry ammo in a side saddle.

5. As long as you're a citizen, there are no specific destination requirements. You can carry it in your vehicle all day long.

Those are the legalities. Now that being said, I think it's smart to keep it in a bag or container to avoid any problems with police.

Decoligny
02-10-2011, 1:09 PM
1. Doesn't need to be in a bag or container.

2. Does not need to be locked. With the exception of while in a Gun Free School Zone. Long guns are still required by the Federal GFSZ law to be locked up while within 1,000 feet of K-12 School Property.

3. As you said, must be unloaded. No round in chamber, no rounds in tube.

4. You can carry ammo in a side saddle.

5. As long as you're a citizen, there are no specific destination requirements. You can carry it in your vehicle all day long.

Those are the legalities. Now that being said, I think it's smart to keep it in a bag or container to avoid any problems with police.

See Bold Comment.

Flopper
02-10-2011, 1:11 PM
See Bold Comment.

Edited, apologies for the oversight.

Turo
02-10-2011, 1:12 PM
To add to what flopper said; there's no registration requirements for shotguns or rifles.

ZRX61
02-10-2011, 2:33 PM
I just throw mine on the back seat...(unloaded)

its mcgavin son
02-10-2011, 4:25 PM
Thanks guys. Real helpful information

CSACANNONEER
02-10-2011, 4:31 PM
Why would you register your shotgun?

stix213
02-10-2011, 5:29 PM
Why would you register your shotgun?

He probably meant legally DROS'd.

Also to clarify just a bit. When others have said when in a gun free school zone your shotgun needs to be locked up, that doesn't just mean a trigger lock. The federal law says enclosed locked container or locking gun rack. Some of us use soft cases and small key or combination locks between the zippers for example. Some of us plan routes that avoid gun free zones but that takes a bit of effort.

the_natterjack
02-10-2011, 6:43 PM
With the exception of while in a Gun Free School Zone. Long guns are still required by the Federal GFSZ law to be locked up while within 1,000 feet of K-12 School Property.

The problem is, can you be absolutely sure your not traveling through any GFSZ? I can't leave my neighborhood within passing through at least two in any direction I go.

I always have them locked up. :(

Brian

BayAreaShooter
02-10-2011, 8:50 PM
The problem is, can you be absolutely sure your not traveling through any GFSZ? I can't leave my neighborhood within passing through at least two in any direction I go.

I always have them locked up. :(

Brian

If you have a car with a trunk that is not accessible through the cabin of the car you can just have them in the trunk without a locking container as your trunk is a locked container.