PDA

View Full Version : Fried electronics on Safe

EasyE
02-10-2011, 7:29 AM
Hypothetically speaking...something happens (emp blast lets say) and the electronics are fried in your safe (obviously you have a key pad safe and not a dial one). Are you able to change out the key pad and have the thing work again, or is it more complicated than that??

That leads me to my second question...how difficult is it to change out the key pad on your safe? Are you able to do it yourself, or does a factory rep have to do it? (forget about the warranty at this point)

Jack L
02-10-2011, 8:03 AM
Hypothetically speaking...something happens (emp blast lets say) and the electronics are fried in your safe (obviously you have a key pad safe and not a dial one). Are you able to change out the key pad and have the thing work again, or is it more complicated than that??

That leads me to my second question...how difficult is it to change out the key pad on your safe? Are you able to do it yourself, or does a factory rep have to do it? (forget about the warranty at this point)

I have a dial safe and the brochure says I cannot do anything, I would need a locksmith. I gave it a quick look and would have no clue. Now you are speaking electronics, so who knows. My safe has a key for backup. I would hope most safes have a key for backup.

EasyE
02-10-2011, 8:20 AM
I have a dial safe and the brochure says I cannot do anything, I would need a locksmith. I gave it a quick look and would have no clue. Now you are speaking electronics, so who knows. My safe has a key for backup. I would hope most safes have a key for backup.

Yeah...key backup is the way to go. I will make sure that the safe I purchase has this option.

I am still curious about the electronic key pads though, as I know there are a lot of safes that do not have a key backup.

BigFatGuy
02-10-2011, 1:36 PM
but... doesn't a key backup make breaking into the safe much easier? (since you just have to pick a lock instead of disassembling a locking mechanism.)

I'm far from a lock-picking expert, but I understand there's no such thing as a lock that cannot be picked with the right gear.

BayAreaShooter
02-10-2011, 1:44 PM
This is exactly why I go old school. No electronics to worry about.

Wildeman_13
02-10-2011, 1:49 PM
This is exactly why I go old school. No electronics to worry about.

Yeah but finding a good ol' dial lock is getting harder and harder especially on the cheaper models for us starters. I'm all about the old school dial myself and hope to avoid the electronic ones when it comes time to buy a "real" safe.

msand951
02-10-2011, 2:03 PM
Good post OP, Im in the market for a safe and was thinking about that . A while back in a hunting forum a guy was pissed he was missing openning day cause his safe's lock fried he had to wait around 2 weeks to get his replacement. I dont remember what name and model it was but that would suck.
Im thinking of Old school safe also.

EasyE
02-10-2011, 5:27 PM
but... doesn't a key backup make breaking into the safe much easier? (since you just have to pick a lock instead of disassembling a locking mechanism.)

I'm far from a lock-picking expert, but I understand there's no such thing as a lock that cannot be picked with the right gear.

I have thought about this as well...I guess it depends on the lock. I was just recently shown a lock which, from my understanding, is unable to be 'bumped' or picked. It was a funny 'U' shaped lock that required an equally shaped key. I doubt that they are on key back-up safes but its an idea.

Yeah but finding a good ol' dial lock is getting harder and harder especially on the cheaper models for us starters. I'm all about the old school dial myself and hope to avoid the electronic ones when it comes time to buy a "real" safe.

This is true as well. It's a little frustrating. I would like a dial lock but I keep having to UP my safe budget!

Good post OP, Im in the market for a safe and was thinking about that . A while back in a hunting forum a guy was pissed he was missing openning day cause his safe's lock fried he had to wait around 2 weeks to get his replacement. I dont remember what name and model it was but that would suck.
Im thinking of Old school safe also.

Thanks. Right! That would really suck! I would HATE to not be able to get into my own safe. Especially if you REALLY needed to get into your safe... If I end up purchasing an electronically locked safe, I could see myself also purchasing a 'back-up' key pad. That's why I am curious about the replacement of the keypad or any electronics.

Joe
02-10-2011, 5:45 PM
I would be afraid of a key backup for anything. When I first was interested in picking locks I read online for about 20 mins, bent up some paperclips, and successfully picked my first lock(A name brand deadbolt on a house) in under a minute. Since then I've picked just about any lock I've tried including masterlocks of all sizes, cars, deadbolts, regular door locks, vending machines, gunlocks, money box locks, key box locks, and much more. So far the ONLY two locks I've ever failed at picking are newer Toyota cars(dunno why but something about their large keys make them hard as hell) and expensive locks used to lock up places in businesses that have multiple angles the key presses pins in from. A skilled locksmith could probably pick those easy though.

EasyE
02-10-2011, 5:55 PM
I guess I will have to keep a cutting torch around :rolleyes: :shrug:

wellerjohn
02-10-2011, 7:36 PM
I bought a larger gun safe with a biometric lock and everything was wonderful........... until a static spark one day fried the electronics, it just said E-7 on the display and would not open. The scary part was when I called the manufacture and he gave me the master combo to key into the key pad ( like how secure is it to have a master combo that will open any lock of that style). Well it did not work and they replaced it with a new safe, after drilling out the lock for an hour. Had them bring a replacement safe with a mechanical dial.... it will last forever, emp won't affect it and neither will zombies!:D

msand951
02-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I bought a larger gun safe with a biometric lock and everything was wonderful........... until a static spark one day fried the electronics, it just said E-7 on the display and would not open. The scary part was when I called the manufacture and he gave me the master combo to key into the key pad ( like how secure is it to have a master combo that will open any lock of that style). Well it did not work and they replaced it with a new safe, after drilling out the lock for an hour. Had them bring a replacement safe with a mechanical dial.... it will last forever, emp won't affect it and neither will zombies!:D

I wouldnt feel safe about master combo on safes . They have certain models on youtube being opened with master combos but dont know if its been faked.

Saym14
02-11-2011, 3:07 PM
if you are so worried about EP get an extra electronic lock and keep it wrapped in tin foil.

Porterhouse
02-11-2011, 3:40 PM
My gun safe requires two very dissimilar keys and the combination to a rotary combination lock to even open.

Zdiddy
02-11-2011, 3:54 PM
only way to get into a lock that is fried is to drill the safe and break the deadbolt on the lock. all if not most electronic locks come with a bypass code specifically for that lock which manufacturers keep on file. when i worked for a safe company and people whould forget the code they would give them the bypass so they could open the safe and change the code to a working one. your best bet is a combo dial which last some time as long as you get it serviced on a regular internal, just in case things get loose over time.

EasyE
02-11-2011, 10:01 PM
if you are so worried about EP get an extra electronic lock and keep it wrapped in tin foil.

That's the whole point of the thread. I want to know if, lets say, an EMP affects a safe, would changing out the keypad be the only thing I would have to do in order to regain access to the safe? Which led to my second question; Is changing out the keypad something the consumer is able to do with the tools that they have in their home, granted they have another keypad??

Would wrapping the keypad in tinfoil prevent an EMP from affecting it??

Edit: I reread your statement; By electronic lock, did you mean keypad?

Jack L
02-12-2011, 6:46 AM

No idea but the builder has same guarantee so it must be tough to break in. There is some kind of protection so you cannot drill into the key area and open it. Same guarantee regarding theft with them or without them. Mine is a brand name so I'm sure they are safe from any normal person. One of those safe crackers you see in the movies could probably open any safe with sophisticated equipment. I wouldn't worry about the key option being unsafe.

Saym14
02-13-2011, 9:32 AM
most of the combo dails I have seen with a key require both to be used at the same time. this is for when two people are required to be present when the safe is opened.

as far as EMP read the thread on EMP vs. car.

G lock
02-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Would wrapping the keypad in tinfoil prevent an EMP from affecting it??

yes, it should provided the safe is composed of conductive material there is a good seal around the electronics (maybe seal with aluminum tape?)

sephy
02-13-2011, 10:57 AM
As far as cheaper models with combinations check out the Sentry 10-gun. You can find it at Tractor supply for $300 regularly and I saw it recently for $270 on sale.

GUNNTZ
02-13-2011, 11:37 AM
How big of a safe you looking for and what's your budget? There are quite a few mechanical safes out there that run 500-600 on sale. I would scrap the idea of an electronic, save up your cash and buy once with confidence.

Here's a calgunner with a deal or two: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=391343

Cokebottle
02-13-2011, 12:20 PM
most of the combo dails I have seen with a key require both to be used at the same time. this is for when two people are required to be present when the safe is opened.

as far as EMP read the thread on EMP vs. car.
The key/dial combinations that I've seen are of one of two configurations...

Key locks the dial so the key is needed to enter the combination to open the safe....

Key locks the dial so once the safe is opened, it can be closed and latched without spinning the dial to lock the mechanism, so the combo is not needed to open the safe again (like when you are home and want easy access to your guns but don't want to leave the safe door wide open).

EasyE
02-13-2011, 1:41 PM
How big of a safe you looking for and what's your budget? There are quite a few mechanical safes out there that run 500-600 on sale. I would scrap the idea of an electronic, save up your cash and buy once with confidence.

Here's a calgunner with a deal or two: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=391343

Thanks for the link, i posted on it regarding safe A. I am looking for around a 10-15 gun safe, and willing to stretch my budget for a decent safe, with the features I am looking for.