PDA

View Full Version : *Answered* Legal path for installation of B-16 on an AR pistol with typical BB

mrjones98
02-10-2011, 7:18 AM
I'm trying to think of the easiest/simplest legal path for installing a B-16 on an AR pistol that already has a typical bullet button...

From my understanding of 12276.1, I don't see any easy way of doing this without passing through AW status at some point because it will have a regular mag release (thus detachable mag) prior to screwing in the B-16 cover.

The only thing I can think of is to remove the gas tube to make it non-semiautomatic, make the change out of state, or have an FFL with an AW permit make the change.

Ideas?

Lone_Gunman
02-10-2011, 7:39 AM
Can't you just seperate the upper and lower?

Bhobbs
02-10-2011, 7:39 AM
Take off the upper.

Capt_Communist
02-10-2011, 7:40 AM
see no evil

hear no evil

speak no evil

Worst case if a cop is standing right there, you can show your intent was to do the right thing, so I doubt anyone is going to worry about it.

Reductio
02-10-2011, 7:44 AM
As has been said, just take off the upper: a bare lower is neither centerfire nor semi-automatic, and as such, doesn't need to comply with AW laws. (Aside from being listed...)

mrjones98
02-10-2011, 7:47 AM
While I know removing the upper removes centerfire status (which doesn't have anything to do with pistols being AW's), I failed to make the connection that a bare lower is also not semiautomatic.

Thanks.

As has been said, just take off the upper: a bare lower is neither centerfire nor semi-automatic, and as such, doesn't need to comply with AW laws. (Aside from being listed...)

bwiese
02-10-2011, 8:34 AM
While I know removing the upper removes centerfire status (which doesn't have anything to do with pistols being AW's), I failed to make the connection that a bare lower is also not semiautomatic.

An OLL AR lower without an upper attached means the gun==lower is neither semiautomatic
nor centerfire (nor perhaps even a rifle). As such, it's not intrinsically illegal. The semiauto
and centerfire attributes are added only when the upper is attached.
Take the upper off the lower. Remove and replace the maglock device on the lower with the
new one. Put upper back on lower. This sequence avoids transitioning thru AW status.