PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Santa Monica

Brandon04GT
02-10-2011, 3:11 AM
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd check in here and introduce myself. I currently live in Santa Monica and am a full time student. A brief bit about me...

I was born in Vegas where I then moved to Hong Kong and spent most of my life growing up there. I developed a huge interest with guns from an early age but given my location, I was only able to mostly play with toys hahah. I have and do still go back to Vegas occasionally where go to the range and shoot with my dad and his guns. He has a small collection of mostly handguns and a recently purchased Ruger SR-556.

Anyway, I have recently been looking into getting involved in the sport more seriously as I am now in a position to make my first gun purchase and hope to do so soon. I know California and especially Santa Monca isn't the greatest place for this, but hopefully I will be moving out of this city soon. I am still unsure on what I want to get and it's still a toss up between a handgun or having a shot at building an AR-15.

I did visit a local gun store in a City nearby and took at look at their USP .45's which is what I have my eyes on if I go the handgun route. I really have my eyes on a full size but I was initially concerned at how managable it would be being that my hands are sort of on the smaller side. It surprisingly did feel very good though and I am planning on renting one at a range to get a good, full feel of the gun. I have tried shooting a USP Compact in 9mm and it felt fantastic compared to other 9mm's I've experienced in the past.

I know the laws here are extremely strict and complex so I hope to learn a lot from this site in regards to the law and about guns in general.

Well thats it for now!

Thanks,
Brandon

den888
02-10-2011, 8:25 AM
Welcome!

Big E
02-10-2011, 9:26 AM
Welcome to Calguns.

SoCal Bob
02-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi Brandon, welcome to Calguns.

nick
02-10-2011, 10:18 AM
If your hands are on the smaller side and you want a .45, try a 1911.

bsg
02-10-2011, 2:47 PM
welcome to the forum.

Wicked Pete
02-10-2011, 4:28 PM
Welcome. Santa Monica: I lived for a short time in an apt. on Amherst (near Bundy) off SM Blvd.

Glad you could join us.

zod
02-11-2011, 1:18 AM
You'll find great amounts of info on here to help you make your choice. Welcome to Calguns.

BayAreaShooter
02-11-2011, 2:15 PM
Welcome aboard.

Ed_Hazard
02-11-2011, 2:20 PM
Welcome to the show!

As far as first purchase, I'd say gey the HG first and the AR after.

dellgsg5
02-11-2011, 2:21 PM
Welcome to Calguns!

Brandon04GT
02-11-2011, 4:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the welcomes, I really appreciate it.

So last night I ended up going to the range with a few buddies of mine (both ranges in this area require parties of at least 2 for non-gun owners for some reason--safety??) which ended up to be pretty expensive but we did end up renting a full size USP9. I really wanted to try the .45 but my buddies were first time shooters so I thought it would be a better idea just to rent the 9 for mostly their sake and mine as I haven't shot since over a year ago so things were sort of rusty.

I really liked how the gun felt and I know the USP9/40 is slightly smaller than the 45. The USP9/40 feels perfect and from what I recall from holding the 45, it still felt good but I was pretty much at the limits of my comfort level. So right now i'm really deciding between a USP 40 or the 45, though I still really want the 45. I was really interested in the HK45 which supposedly has a smaller overall frame but unfortunately I learned it isn't on the CA approved handguns roster.

I have a few questions though, being left handed, I asked the gun store whether they can order a V2 for me. They told me only the V1's were on the roster and I could buy that and covert it to a V2. I was wondering if this would be compltely legal to do? Would my gun still be documented as a V1 on paper for the duration of my ownership?

Also could someone briefly school me on whether there are other variations to specific USP models such as a full size 40 or 45? I vaguely remember something along the lines of then being available in a blued finish? Are there any build differences between newer and older USP's?

I just want to make sure I will be getting what I am paying for and won't be screwed over by the store buying old stock or what not.

Thanks,
Brandon

DeanW66
02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Welcome aboard!

Mr310
02-21-2011, 9:20 PM
Brandon,

Good to see that there's someone else from Santa Monica on here too! It seems as though everyone from our city is anti-gun as hell, except for a couple of my neighbors, who aren't the range-going type. Interesting that you lived in Hong Kong. I lived on the Mainland for a while myself, and love Hong Kong, even though guns aren't legal there. Hehe. Anyways, we should definitely hit the range up sometime.

GLuxury
02-21-2011, 9:39 PM
welcome fellow 310-er

If your tossed up between a 40 and 45 .. you really cant go wrong with either, just remember 40 is lil cheaper to shoot .. i was in the same boat .. but i told myself if i was gonna go 45 then i would get a 1911, but didnt want a 1911 for my first gun .. So i went with a sig p226 40

.22guy
02-22-2011, 8:26 AM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

Mr310
02-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Just out of curiousity, do any of you old-timers remember a gun store in Santa Monica? I vaguely recall there being one on Stuart street behind the building where MTV Studios now resides.

dbo
02-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the welcomes, I really appreciate it.

So last night I ended up going to the range with a few buddies of mine (both ranges in this area require parties of at least 2 for non-gun owners for some reason--safety??) which ended up to be pretty expensive but we did end up renting a full size USP9. I really wanted to try the .45 but my buddies were first time shooters so I thought it would be a better idea just to rent the 9 for mostly their sake and mine as I haven't shot since over a year ago so things were sort of rusty.

I really liked how the gun felt and I know the USP9/40 is slightly smaller than the 45. The USP9/40 feels perfect and from what I recall from holding the 45, it still felt good but I was pretty much at the limits of my comfort level. So right now i'm really deciding between a USP 40 or the 45, though I still really want the 45. I was really interested in the HK45 which supposedly has a smaller overall frame but unfortunately I learned it isn't on the CA approved handguns roster.

I have a few questions though, being left handed, I asked the gun store whether they can order a V2 for me. They told me only the V1's were on the roster and I could buy that and covert it to a V2. I was wondering if this would be compltely legal to do? Would my gun still be documented as a V1 on paper for the duration of my ownership?

Also could someone briefly school me on whether there are other variations to specific USP models such as a full size 40 or 45? I vaguely remember something along the lines of then being available in a blued finish? Are there any build differences between newer and older USP's?

I just want to make sure I will be getting what I am paying for and won't be screwed over by the store buying old stock or what not.

Thanks,
Brandon

You may be interested in this http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=398833 . I'm from Santa Monica and know how crazy those people are.

dbo
02-22-2011, 4:52 PM
Just out of curiousity, do any of you old-timers remember a gun store in Santa Monica? I vaguely recall there being one on Stuart street behind the building where MTV Studios now resides.

It was called pacific cartridge I still have receipts for some of the stuff I got from there lol also there was london gun shop

Brandon04GT
02-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the welcome. Well I checked out the LA gun club last week with a buddy of mine and we rented both a USP9 and USP45 full size and sure enough the grip was pretty much exactly the same, albeit the 45 has a slightly longer grip and the overall length is just a hair longer. I was pretty comfortable with it and it was a really soft shooting gun for a 45. I'm hoping to try and get out there again soon just to make 100% sure it is right for me. I am trying to make my first purchase asap, hopefully by my birthday next month.

Just outta curiosity, does anyone know if you haggle prices at gun stores? I was thinking about buying one online but after calculating CA "use tax" into the equation and an estimate of typical transfer fees, I mightaswell just get one locally. I looked around and they are going for about $900-925. The closest store to me (Martin Retting) has it for $907. Do you think it would be worth my while to offer $850?

Allentu
02-23-2011, 2:07 AM
I haven't been too lucky with trying to haggle but you can often find deals on gunbroker.com. Try as many handguns as you can before deciding. USP is def a great option though

mikaarce
02-23-2011, 1:40 PM
Try as much as you can, then decide. Welcome, and advance happy birthday! Hope you get your present

Brandon04GT
02-23-2011, 9:45 PM
Thanks. Does anyone know what the laws are as far as paying tax for buying a used gun off a private party online? I know I'll probably have to pay a use tax, but will it be taken from the actual price I paid for the gun or the current "book value" of the gun?

Allentu
02-23-2011, 10:03 PM
You dont have to pay tax for a used firearm from a average individual

Brandon04GT
02-24-2011, 12:16 AM
You dont have to pay tax for a used firearm from a average individual

Oh really? I know you prob don't have to for a PPT but i'm talking about buying it off someone online from a different state