PDA

View Full Version : Friend gave me a shotgun

Chadster
02-09-2011, 9:08 PM
edited for minor errors

mosinnagantm9130
02-09-2011, 9:11 PM
Long guns aren't required to be registered.

How old is the shotgun, and did you do the transfer through an FFL?

Chadster
02-09-2011, 9:14 PM
edited

mosinnagantm9130
02-09-2011, 9:19 PM
edited.

I think that would be legal only if the shotgun is either on the C&R list or over 50 years old, but I could be wrong.

Chadster
02-09-2011, 9:23 PM
adjusted

jaymz
02-09-2011, 9:24 PM
You are good to go if it is C&R eligible. If not, you have issues. I'm sure someone that knows better than I will be along shortly with the solution to your situation.

ilikeguns
02-09-2011, 9:25 PM
If long guns aren't required to be registered then theoretically couldn't I just say the gun is mine ?

Careful bud

jaymz
02-09-2011, 9:27 PM
Theoretically yes, you could say it was yours. Except that you've already publicly said it's not. There's also the chance (even if only a slight chance), that it is stolen.

TKM
02-09-2011, 9:27 PM
No transfer, he just gave it to me.

Sorry officer, we couldn't possibly condone any illegal transfers.

How are Iggy and Alison holding up under Jerry?

Chadster
02-09-2011, 9:28 PM
What is c&r ?
Also the gun is definetly not stolen . I've known the family for many years

Ed_Hazard
02-09-2011, 9:31 PM
What is c&r ?
Also the gun is definetly not stolen . I've known the family for many years

C&R = Curio and Relic, the gun would have to be 50+yrs old

Whats the make and model of the gun, a little reasearch on the web could help date the gun.

SanPedroShooter
02-09-2011, 9:32 PM
California keeps no record of who owns what long gun.
If a long gun is over 50 years old, it may be transfered face to face with no dealer involved.
If a long gun is under 50 years old, 1961? or newer it must be transfered through a O1FFL.
All handgun transfers must go through a dealer as well.
Just the facts, Jack...
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

Edited to add:
Can you imagine the number of people that must break this law every year?? I mean we here at Calguns are gun law cognisenti, but there are probably thousands of regular folks who wouldnt think twice about giving someone a shotgun as a gift or trade... I mean why not?

Chadster
02-09-2011, 9:35 PM
Just to clarify , he gave me the rifle to store for him while he is out of state. Shouldn't be more than 2 weeks. We plan on doing the transfer when he gets back . Is that okay ?

SanPedroShooter
02-09-2011, 9:43 PM
Word to the wiseguy

stix213
02-09-2011, 9:58 PM
Just to clarify , he gave me the rifle to store for him while he is out of state. Shouldn't be more than 2 weeks. We plan on doing the transfer when he gets back . Is that okay ?

Perfect. When your friend gets back in town, just contact your local FFL (gun store typically) and ask them their policy on private party transfers, like what times they do them, etc. Then you and your buddy go down together with the shotgun, some paperwork is done plus the $35 typical fee, and in 10+ days you come back and pick it up and its all yours, all legal.

Ed_Hazard
02-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Perfect. When your friend gets back in town, just contact your local FFL (gun store typically) and ask them their policy on private party transfers, like what times they do them, etc. Then you and your buddy go down together with the shotgun, some paperwork is done plus the $35 typical fee, and in 10+ days you come back and pick it up and its all yours, all legal.

You could also do a little reasearch on the web or by calling the manufacturer and finding out it's age. If it is over 50 years old then it does not have to be DROS'd by an FFL. All you would need, and even this would not be rquired, is a bill of sale from your freind. ED