PDA

View Full Version : NFA Weapons, State Lines

ocspeedracer
02-09-2011, 2:48 PM
Okay, I'm not planning to stay in CA forever and one of the first things I'm going to do when I move is buy a silencer or supressed Saiga or something fun.

Now what about if I move somewhere that across the street is another state, do I need the ATF's permission to move it across state lines?

For example I know some folks who live in Colorado, if they spit out there window onto their lawn that faces the country road they live off of they'd be technicaly spitting in Wyoming. There's one road and it crosses between CO and WY until it crosses another country road that's in CO. Would you have to get the ATF's permission to to take it outside in this case, if your final destination was shooting in CO?

They own land too some of it in WY and some in CO, it's all together and they got to choose which state they wanted to be considered living in, what if they bought an NFA firearm or part and wanted to shoot on their land but crossed into their land that would be considered WY on a map?

It's not totally hypothetical, I'm actually considering moving out there somewhere close, so please if you have insight please let me know.

ke6guj
02-09-2011, 2:56 PM
for most NFA items, you do need permission to transport it accross state lines. that applies to MG, SBS, SBR, and DD. that would be the 5320.20 form.

you do not need permission to transport AOWs or silencers across state lines. But, ATF will approve your 5320.20 form so that you have addtional paperwork to show an LEO that may not know the idiocincracies of NFA law.

In your scenario above, the easiest thing to do would be to get the NFA firearm, registered to them in CO, and then just file a yearly 5320.20 listing their WY land as a destination point. FIle it from Jan 1 - Dec 31 and you are covered for the year in all of WY. Do that for each NFA firearm and for each state you wish to take it to. easy to print off the forms via PDF, just sign them and mail then to the NFA branch a couple months before the new year and you would be covered for the entire calender year. Next October, repeat the process for the following year.

jtmkinsd
02-09-2011, 3:13 PM
Okay, I'm not planning to stay in CA forever and one of the first things I'm going to do when I move is buy a silencer or supressed Saiga or something fun.

Now what about if I move somewhere that across the street is another state, do I need the ATF's permission to move it across state lines?

For example I know some folks who live in Colorado, if they spit out there window onto their lawn that faces the country road they live off of they'd be technicaly spitting in Wyoming. There's one road and it crosses between CO and WY until it crosses another country road that's in CO. Would you have to get the ATF's permission to to take it outside in this case, if your final destination was shooting in CO?

They own land too some of it in WY and some in CO, it's all together and they got to choose which state they wanted to be considered living in, what if they bought an NFA firearm or part and wanted to shoot on their land but crossed into their land that would be considered WY on a map?

It's not totally hypothetical, I'm actually considering moving out there somewhere close, so please if you have insight please let me know.

What is considered WY on a map is what it is regardless of private property lines. Depending on where you are standing, you would be subject to that States laws. Even better, you get to pay property tax in two States. It's a situation best avoided.

ocspeedracer
02-09-2011, 3:34 PM
for most NFA items, you do need permission to transport it accross state lines. that applies to MG, SBS, SBR, and DD. that would be the 5320.20 form.

you do not need permission to transport AOWs or silencers across state lines. But, ATF will approve your 5320.20 form so that you have addtional paperwork to show an LEO that may not know the idiocincracies of NFA law.

In your scenario above, the easiest thing to do would be to get the NFA firearm, registered to them in CO, and then just file a yearly 5320.20 listing their WY land as a destination point. FIle it from Jan 1 - Dec 31 and you are covered for the year in all of WY. Do that for each NFA firearm and for each state you wish to take it to. easy to print off the forms via PDF, just sign them and mail then to the NFA branch a couple months before the new year and you would be covered for the entire calender year. Next October, repeat the process for the following year.

Very helpful, thank you!

jtmkinsd
02-09-2011, 3:59 PM
Very helpful, thank you!

Most importantly, don't forget to file, and get caught on the wrong side of an imaginary line.