PDA

View Full Version : Cali-Legal AR-15 gotcha? Very confusing...

Glock35
02-09-2011, 2:36 PM
Hey everyone this is my first post but it's about a question that I never thought about until now and want to make sure I'm not doing anything illegal. I have a Cali-legal AR-15, have had it for a year and transported it many times to the range and back. I was at Angeles Crest range this weekend and as a rule, I always transport (and store) my AR with the 10-round mag removed and locked out (with a Prince50 mag lock). This is so I can fit another rifle in my 2-rifle case, and if I get pulled over, it seems logical a cop would prefer this config than one with a mag inserted (looks less evil, less of a threat, etc.). However, the guy at the bench next to me said that is the wrong way to transport it; per his interpretation of the law, if you transport the rifle with magazine removed, it is then "capable of accepting a high-capacity magazine" and whoops, it's a felony. So by that logic the rifle must always be transported/stored with the 10 round mag locked in place.

I do not see anything in the OLL "flowchart" that prohibits transporting/storing with the mag removed and locked out. In this configuration, it still requires a "tool" to insert a mag, in this case an Allen key. It's effectively a single-shot rifle in this config. The law allows for the removal of a mag, but only with a tool, so legally if the mag is removed this way it is not illegal per se, and should not be illegal to transport, either. Nowhere have I found anything correlating having a 10-rd mag removed and locked out with the possibility of inserting one of "high capacity". I understand that actually HAVING high caps is illegal, but being accused of the mere "possibility" of using one just because the mag well is empty doesn't seem correct or legal to me.

SO, all knowledgeable CalGunners, please shed some light on this for me. I think I'm in the right but need some answers. Thanks!

rromeo
02-09-2011, 2:39 PM
It's not illegal.

ke6guj
02-09-2011, 2:44 PM
the old-school Prince50 magazine lock is not usually recommended anymore. You'd be better off with a maglock like the Prince50 Bullet Button.

The reason is that, on an assembed semi-auto centerfire rifle with evil features, when you loosen the setscrew on a P50 mag-lock, you have created an Assualt Weapon for as long as the setscrew is loose. If the upper is always removed before the setscrew is lossened, and not re-installed until after the setscrew is retightened, it would be legla. but thats additional work. Replace it with a Bullet Button and you don't have to worry about breaking down the rifle before you remove the mag.

Glock35
02-09-2011, 4:22 PM
But actually keeping a mag out and locking the setscrew is legal, right?

Fjold
02-09-2011, 4:56 PM
But actually keeping a mag out and locking the setscrew is legal, right?

You didn't read the post above. When you loosened the set screw and pulled the magazine out you commited a felony.

It's not legal.

If you remove all the upper assembly so that it is not a centerfire rifle anymore or remove all the evil features first, then loosen the set screw and remove the magazine it would be legal.

707electrician
02-09-2011, 5:20 PM
"capable of accepting a high-capacity magazine"

I haven't heard that one yet

Glock35
02-09-2011, 5:41 PM
I see. So removing the mag while rifle is assembled with prince50 is illegal, not with upper off. Got it. Or i could just change my last name to Lohan and felonies should just bounce off! Thanks for the info.

Big E
02-10-2011, 10:13 AM
I see. So removing the mag while rifle is assembled with prince50 is illegal, not with upper off. Got it. Or i could just change my last name to Lohan and felonies should just bounce off! Thanks for the info.

:clap::rofl2::clap:

I don't reply to the AR stuff due to my lack of knowledge (but I knew the answer to this one thanks to you guys here at Calguns). However, the LiLo reply needed recognition.

zod
02-11-2011, 1:20 AM
Guess you found your answer. Welcome aboard. Enjoy.

DeanW66
02-16-2011, 9:24 AM
Welcome aboard! You might try your question in the center fire rifle section since most folks don't look in the newb area for Qs.