PDA

View Full Version : Trailer shooting platform?

d70
02-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Is it legal to discharge a firearm from a trailer while it is attached to the tow vehicle?

bden
02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
You're gonna have to tell us a little more. Me thinks not, but I gotta hear the story on this one. If you're wanting to pull off a drive-by without getting popped for it because you weren't actually in a car I'd say no dice. If you're parked in the middle of the woods and just too danged lazy to unload the ATV's I'm curious.

d70
02-09-2011, 10:40 AM
My local areas are littered with broken glass and other undesirable material prone is not very fun. I am never able to recover all of my brass but end up with more then I shot. I have a covered trailer with no support legs that is why I would have to have it connected. The trailer would provide a clean area with shade and collect my brass for me.

I open carry
02-09-2011, 11:10 AM
While just target shooting in a legal area to shoot, I would doubt if any LEO would have a problem with it. It is most likely illegal, but...
Can NOT do it to hunt from.

magsnubby
02-09-2011, 11:13 AM
If you're wanting to pull off a drive-by without getting popped for it because you weren't actually in a car I'd say no dice.

:rofl2:

stix213
02-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Not sure. PC 12034 is the closest I could find. Looks like if your trailer is considered part of the vehicle while attached, and a LEO thought you were shooting "maliciously" you would be in trouble. Also if the trailer is considered part of the vehicle, and you let anyone else shoot off it even if you aren't there (even not maliciously), that would be a felony on you the owner.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12034.html

I have no idea if a trailer is considered part of the vehicle while attached, though I wouldn't be surprised if a LEO saw this he would assume so and let the courts sort it out.

Don29palms
02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Pick up a couple jack stands.

scarville
02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Not sure. PC 12034 is the closest I could find. Looks like if your trailer is considered part of the vehicle while attached, and a LEO thought you were shooting "maliciously" you would be in trouble. Also if the trailer is considered part of the vehicle, and you let anyone else shoot off it even if you aren't there (even not maliciously), that would be a felony on you the owner.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12034.html

I have no idea if a trailer is considered part of the vehicle while attached.
Interesting. I imagine if it will "get an evil gun owner off the street" then the judge will find a way to make the trailer part of the vehicle.

If it were me, I wouldn't tempt the fairness and rational character of a California judge -- get some stands.

CSACANNONEER
02-09-2011, 11:35 AM
While just target shooting in a legal area to shoot, I would doubt if any LEO would have a problem with it. It is most likely illegal, but...
Can NOT do it to hunt from.

There are obviously exceptions to this. It could be a perfectly legal hunting platform if you obtain the right permit or license. I know that some handicapped hunters can shoot from vehicles which are not in motion under their own power.