PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Federal AWB Report

Pyrodyne
02-08-2011, 6:47 PM
H.R.3355:

SEC. 110104. STUDY BY ATTORNEY GENERAL.

(a) STUDY- The Attorney General shall investigate and study the effect of this subtitle and the amendments made by this subtitle, and in particular shall determine their impact, if any, on violent and drug trafficking crime. The study shall be conducted over a period of 18 months, commencing 12 months after the date of enactment of this Act.

(b) REPORT- Not later than 30 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the Attorney General shall prepare and submit to the Congress a report setting forth in detail the findings and determinations made in the study under subsection (a).

Does anyone know where to find this required report?

ke6guj
02-08-2011, 6:53 PM
H.R.3355:

Does anyone know where to find this required report?I seem to recall seeing this report in the past, but it mightbe difficult finding a ~15-year old report on an expired law.

Librarian
02-08-2011, 6:54 PM
Closest I have seen is "An Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban: Impacts on Gun Markets and Gun Violence, 1994-2003" www.sas.upenn.edu/jerrylee/research/aw_exec2004.pdf

Whoops - that's just the executive summary ... searching ...

Whole report at www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/204431.pdf 66Mbytes 114 pages

Blackhawk556
02-08-2011, 7:00 PM
^^Hey librarian, do you have a file system tucked away in your brain that lets you quickly sort any gun related material :-)

Librarian
02-08-2011, 7:36 PM
^^Hey librarian, do you have a file system tucked away in your brain that lets you quickly sort any gun related material :-)

Well, I've been reading this stuff for around 20 years, and I'm usually a very good Google searcher.

jpigeon
02-08-2011, 8:10 PM
Is the Librarian real or CGF AI experiment???

Librarian
02-08-2011, 8:13 PM
Is the Librarian real or CGF AI experiment???

My Mom thinks I'm real! :D

0MrckjR4E_M

five.five-six
02-08-2011, 8:16 PM
My Mom thinks I'm real! :D

if you don't believe him, just ask her

chat with Librarian's mom (http://alice.pandorabots.com/)

MP301
02-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Librarian is awsome!

Wherryj
02-09-2011, 12:03 PM

Just why do you think that he's called "Librarian"?

CHS
02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
The report is, unfortunately, not that useful. While overall it says that the AWB doesn't do anything for crime, the reporting period was only for like the first year that the AWB was enacted. So basically any rational person can see that the report was published too soon.

The nice thing is, it's definitely unbiased, so while we can't really use it to our advantage, neither can the anti's.

Write Winger
02-09-2011, 1:19 PM
You know what I love about the ppl of calguns? We will actually take the time to read thru things like this, Heller, and MacDonald because we care enough and are passionate enough to educate ourselves. I just want to give you all a big manly smooch.

BlindRacer
02-09-2011, 3:03 PM
if you don't believe him, just ask her

chat with Librarian's mom (http://alice.pandorabots.com/)

Human: Is librarian real?
ALICE: It could be. Ask ELVIS if it is.

Human: do you love librarian?
ALICE: Yes unknown person ALICE loves everyone and everything.

Human: What of the AWB?
ALICE: What of it? You sound like a category C client.

Human: When will we be allowed to buy NFA items?
ALICE: In your lifetime.

Human: When will I buy my next gun?
ALICE: You should try praying for it.

Librarian
02-09-2011, 3:57 PM
Human: Is librarian real?
ALICE: It could be. Ask ELVIS if it is.

Human: do you love librarian?
ALICE: Yes unknown person ALICE loves everyone and everything.

Human: What of the AWB?
ALICE: What of it? You sound like a category C client.

Human: When will we be allowed to buy NFA items?
ALICE: In your lifetime.

Human: When will I buy my next gun?
ALICE: You should try praying for it.

Love that Mom - she's such a kidder!

Pyrodyne
02-09-2011, 8:02 PM
The report is, unfortunately, not that useful. While overall it says that the AWB doesn't do anything for crime, the reporting period was only for like the first year that the AWB was enacted. So basically any rational person can see that the report was published too soon.

The nice thing is, it's definitely unbiased, so while we can't really use it to our advantage, neither can the anti's.

Actually it has data up to 2003. This isn't the report I was looking for, but an update to the original. It shows that AWs account for a very small percentage of crimes, and that handguns outstrip rifles by a long shot.

Overall, higher capacity magazines were shown to have a more definite effect in number of injuries and number of victims, although shootings where large numbers (over 4) were injured or killed are very rare. The average number of actual hits on victims was minor, however.

Many districts weren't running traces on firearms linked to violent crime, and some wouldn't run traces at all. Statistics based on firearm traces can be refuted with this tidbit, as there is an unknown bias.

Since they actually bothered to provide the methods used to gather the statistics and the flaws in the data are plainly stated, this can provide us with ammo in case the same data is used and touted as definitive to push an anti-gun agenda. It can also be used to educate people that have already been misled by those statistics.

Overall, it was much more than I hoped for. I read cover to cover and there is a lot of good information in there, even if the end result really just says that better tracking is needed to formulate meaningful statistics.

It did specifically suggest that the assault weapon features did not appear to have any meaningful bearing on gun crime, and that AW handguns were much more frequently used in crime than AW rifles, and that the total AWs used in crimes were a minority out of all gun crimes.

CHS
02-09-2011, 8:15 PM
Actually it has data up to 2003. This isn't the report I was looking for, but an update to the original. It shows that AWs account for a very small percentage of crimes, and that handguns outstrip rifles by a long shot.

Huh, weird.

The one I read was the original Clinton one, that was required by the '94 crime bill to be written within something like the first 12-18 months of the AWB. So it must have dated from '95/'96.

I haven't seen any report with updated info up through to the end of the AWB.

Care to post a link?

Pyrodyne
02-09-2011, 8:19 PM

Whole report at www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/204431.pdf 66Mbytes 114 pages

Librarian already posted it. It references the first required report many times and points out all of it's flaws that they found.

five.five-six
02-09-2011, 8:50 PM
Love that Mom - she's such a kidder!

:rofl2:

good sport :)

CHS
02-09-2011, 8:58 PM
Librarian already posted it. It references the first required report many times and points out all of it's flaws that they found.

Damnit... More reading to do :)

Glad I just got my Nook Color!