PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island Match 1911

Blood Ocean
02-08-2011, 3:25 PM
I've read a lot of good reviews on the base models from RIA but does anyone have input on the 1911 Match? It's listing pretty cheap right now at $579 BNIB and considering the review I read at m1911.org i sounds like a very well made, albeit inexpensive 1911. What say ye Calguns? Do I need another 1911?

http://www.m1911.org/ezine/RIAMatch.htm

Ripon83
02-08-2011, 3:36 PM
At $579, for me, I'll add a few dollars each month to the pot and wait until I can afford a pre owned actual Colt from the private sale market place....thats just me. I've seen some nice guns go through there recently in the 700 to 1000 range. If the RIA was $479 instead of $579 I might be less inclined to wait though. There are some posters really beating them up on here, but then some saying they are fine.

Blood Ocean
02-08-2011, 3:41 PM
They're all loving the Tactical at $479, this is the "match" model which supposedl has some hand fiting between the slide and frame, and a crisp/light trigger. I already have a high dollar 1911 that I refuse to shoot anyone with, this is one I could afford to give to the police after and not really bother going to pick up after my acquittal...

himurax13
02-08-2011, 4:04 PM
My tactical model has a very nice frame/slide fit. The only thing it needs is a slightly better trigger pull. Those who hate on Rock Islands need to go out and shoot one. I absolutely love mine and it is the cheapest gun in my collection. :)

Blood Ocean
02-08-2011, 4:09 PM
That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, all my latest builds/purchases have all been real nice, but nice to the point that playing with them can be scary. I'm looking for a go anywhere, shoot anything, get it dirty and leave it that way 1911. The price locally is actually better than anyone has online (not by much, but about 5% better) and once it's been shipped in and processed it actually costs more than paying the sales tax to CA! I hate giving this state money but I'm no ideologue.
My tactical model has a very nice frame/slide fit. The only thing it needs is a slightly better trigger pull. Those who hate on Rock Islands need to go out and shoot one. I absolutely love mine and it is the cheapest gun in my collection. :)

kahai808
02-08-2011, 5:32 PM
you could always use another 1911!

wilit
02-08-2011, 5:55 PM
I sold my Springfield GI to buy a Tactical in 9mm. The Springfield was good, but I think for the same price, the RIA is much better. The features that come on the tactical are pretty nice (compared to the GI) and the gun feels pretty solidly built. I can shoot this gun way more accurately than I could my GI. There are some things that could be improved though. The sights suck. It could really use an extended slide release. The grip panels are ok, but don't provide very much grip. The finish is ok too. It seems like a lower quality parkerizing.

jptopz
02-08-2011, 7:00 PM
One can NEVER have too many 1911s. I have three and want more. The great thing about 1911s is that if you don't like something it can be changed or fixed.

Blood Ocean
02-08-2011, 8:51 PM
Good point on the stocks, I have a coupon for some coccobolo stocks that I'll *** to it when I get it out of jail. I'm going to Norwalk tomorrow at lunch, pics and range report to follow, if anyone shoots at Angeles come find me and help me farm some lead. Thanks for the input.