PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles airsoft at home legality

mr.v.
02-08-2011, 2:45 PM
Hi I've been searching online and mostly found hearsay about this issue.

I've found this city ordinance search:
http://cityclerk.lacity.org/ordinance/Pub_Search_Summary.cfm?S=1&T=1

which pretty clearly states that they consider BB guns and pellet guns to be firearms.
http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/1987%5C87-1507-S1_ORD_163680_05-18-1988.pdf

and here on this site the whole LA muni code
http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=amlegal:lamc_ca

SEC. 55.00. GUNS – PERMITS.

No person shall fire, shoot or discharge any gun, rifle, pistol or other firearm, or any air-gun, air-rifle or air-pistol, or any spring-gun, spring-rifle or spring-pistol, or any carbon dioxide or other gas operated gun, rifle or pistol without having first obtained a written permit from the Board of Police Commissioners.

and therefore prohibit the discharge within city limits in what appears to be indoors or outdoors including your own backyard unless you have a permit (which begs the question do you need a permit to shoot a person who has trapped you in a corner and is threatening your life?...anyway i digress)

Is airsoft considered to be a BB gun/spring-gun/air gun and therefore I cannot shoot at targets in the backyard with them as well?

AndrewMendez
02-08-2011, 4:50 PM
IIRC, LA views anything that meets criteria a firearm. Whether or not they will arrest you for target practicing with an almost quite air soft rifle is a different story. In high school, a few friends of mine were paintballing in their backyard, and someone called PD. The paintball markers were confiscated with their mask, paintballs, gloves etc, and given back the next day with no arrest or charges against them. However, they were also under 18.

NightOwl
02-08-2011, 8:07 PM
This state has the most retarded laws. I wonder why it is that the CA prisons are so brutally overcrowded that judges need to order the state to reduce overcrowding, yet the politicans never get the idea of pulling laws off the books so people stop getting arrested for worthless crap.

spcevo
02-08-2011, 10:02 PM
electric airsoft gun: power by batterys that powers the motor that powers the springs? its power by electric therefor absolutely legal

ALSystems
02-09-2011, 5:51 AM
I guess this means a kid can be arrested for shooting a nerf gun in LA unless they have a written permit from the Board of Police Commissioners. :eek:
SEC. 55.00. GUNS – PERMITS.

No person shall fire, shoot or discharge any gun, rifle, pistol or other firearm, or any air-gun, air-rifle or air-pistol, or any spring-gun, spring-rifle or spring-pistol, or any carbon dioxide or other gas operated gun, rifle or pistol without having first obtained a written permit from the Board of Police Commissioners.

Wherryj
02-09-2011, 12:53 PM
IIRC, LA views anything that meets criteria a firearm. Whether or not they will arrest you for target practicing with an almost quite air soft rifle is a different story. In high school, a few friends of mine were paintballing in their backyard, and someone called PD. The paintball markers were confiscated with their mask, paintballs, gloves etc, and given back the next day with no arrest or charges against them. However, they were also under 18.

I spoke to a hospital employee just yesterday about similar issues. She stated that her sons had been arrested and charged twice over the years for shooting airsoft rifles in a large, deserted field and in a secluded wooded area (as kids do, thinking that they won't get caught "this time").

I'm not quite sure why the stiff penalties for an item that poses little risk.

BlindRacer
02-09-2011, 4:32 PM
I'm not quite sure why the stiff penalties for an item that poses little risk.

It poses risk to the person who has the airsoft gun, because the cops will shoot on site, and they don't want to have to explain themselves later, when they find out it wasn't a real gun.

QQQ
02-09-2011, 4:38 PM
It poses risk to the person who has the airsoft gun, because the cops will shoot on site, and they don't want to have to explain themselves later, when they find out it wasn't a real gun.

It's a bit of an exaggeration to say that they "will" shoot on site.
They "might" shoot on sight would be a better way to put it.

And yes, it is technically illegal to discharge any sort of pellet or airsoft gun in most municipalities.

Dark Paladin
02-09-2011, 4:47 PM
electric airsoft gun: power by batterys that powers the motor that powers the springs? its power by electric therefor absolutely legal

Uhh. . . no. Please don't give out incomplete information. You forgot the rest of the sequence. . . which involves the spring powering the piston which compresses a volume of air which can only be released by going out the direction where the BB is sitting. Thus, the BB is air-powered.

BlindRacer
02-09-2011, 4:52 PM

And yes, it is technically illegal to discharge any sort of pellet or airsoft gun in most municipalities.

Yes, of course. I didn't mean to say that they will definitely shoot, only that it's possible for them to shoot.

That's the reasoning that I've always heard from cops...they don't want to accidentally shoot some kid with a toy.

dapster
02-09-2011, 7:32 PM
How about shooting on sight on the site?

QQQ
02-09-2011, 9:27 PM
How about shooting on sight on the site?

Dang it. One of my rare spelling errors- you caught me reed-handeed. :p

Pyrodyne
02-09-2011, 9:32 PM
I guess this means a kid can be arrested for shooting a nerf gun in LA unless they have a written permit from the Board of Police Commissioners. :eek:

Sounds like more than a few people should apply.

Jack L
02-10-2011, 6:51 AM
You wonder why children are overweight? Because they can't be outside being kids like when I was young.

Wherryj
02-10-2011, 12:43 PM

They I don't understand why there is a need for additional stiff penalties. Isn't getting shot enough, or does the local PD need to add charges on top of that?

:p