PDA

View Full Version : Since D.C.'s handgun ban ended, well-heeled residents have become well armed

MolonLabe2008
02-08-2011, 7:46 AM
In the 2 years since the U.S. Supreme Court ended the District's handgun ban, hundreds of residents in Washington's safest, most well-to-do neighborhoods have armed themselves, registering far more guns than people in poorer, crime-plagued areas of the city, according to D.C. police data. Since the landmark court ruling in June 2008, records show, more than 1,400 firearms have been registered with D.C. police, most in the western half of the District. Among those guns, nearly 300 are in the high-income, low-crime Georgetown, Palisades and Chevy Chase areas of Northwest.

More...

Since D.C.'s handgun ban ended, well-heeled residents have become well armed
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020706450.html?wprss=rss_metro&sid=ST2011020706491

yellowfin
02-08-2011, 7:55 AM
Not too bad, though the use of brand names and adjectives to make them sound sinister is still yellow journalism. The normalization of the idea of registration is rather sickening as well.

rabagley
02-08-2011, 8:08 AM
Hundreds? They're doing it wrong. Call me back when it's tens of thousands.

MolonLabe2008
02-08-2011, 8:09 AM
Not too bad, though the use of brand names and adjectives to make them sound sinister is still yellow journalism. The normalization of the idea of registration is rather sickening as well.

It's the Washington Compost. What did you expect?

Blackhawk556
02-08-2011, 8:57 AM
Are there high fees associated with registering a handgun over there?

QQQ
02-08-2011, 8:59 AM
Having lived in DC and having tried to navigate their labyrinthine gun permit system, it doesn't surprise me that it's the "well-heeled" who are able to go through the purchase process.

They make it just about impossible for a person who rents an apartment and does not have a car and several hundred extra dollars to spend to obtain a permit and a gun- either a handgun or a long gun.
I'll be excited when the average joe in DC is able to exercise his RKBA legally.

To address the above, as of the time I moved out of DC (August 2010), the fees associated with the FFL costs (there's only one) and with the permit and registration process added up to a few hundred dollars.

Jack L
02-08-2011, 9:04 AM
Just wait, the numbers will grow in DC especially if Obama mentions gun control in cites.

QQQ
02-08-2011, 9:05 AM
Just wait, the numbers will grow in DC especially if Obama mentions gun control in cites.

If the numbers only grow among those with lots of money, I'd consider it worse than if they didn't grow at all.

Blackhawk556
02-08-2011, 9:18 AM
that man holding the glock needs more lessons. Can someone tell him to take his damn finger off the trigger

CalBear
02-08-2011, 9:22 AM
that man holding the semi automatic assassinator children killer glock needs more lessons. Can someone tell him to take his damn finger off the trigger
Fixed it for ya! :p

G60
02-08-2011, 9:53 AM
Why doesn't that article just cut to the chase and admit that those in charge don't want 'poor' people to own guns.

that's why there's a disproportionate number of new owners in the more affluent parts. they've made it cost prohibitive (not on accident, mind you) to legally own the means to defend your life.

yellowfin
02-08-2011, 9:57 AM
Not only is it monetarily prohibitive, but bureaucratically intimidating. To most people simply doing income taxes is overwhelming, so something as byzantine as this is itself a deterrent particularly to lower socioeconomic status in the same way as Jim Crow literacy tests.

mblat
02-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Dude has his finger on the trigger.....

I liked this:

"You have to figure, what are legitimate guns costing now?" he said. "A basic revolver is going for $350 or $400. And you're talking about $650, $700 for a quality 9 millimeter. So who's got that kind of money to just throw out there for a gun?

"Legitimate people I'm talking about now. A lot of them, these days, they're having a hard enough time putting food on the table for their kids."

So it is time for the .gov program distributing firearms to poor people......

G60
02-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Dude has his finger on the trigger.....

this guy?
http://idol-mania.com/american-idol-fan/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Randy-Jackson.jpghttp://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2011/02/07/PH2011020706457.jpg

oh he can do what he wants.

movie zombie
02-08-2011, 10:25 AM
article quotes $125 for a transfer fee.

instead of picking this article apart, be glad its there: the brady bunch may be stopped in their tracks re their claims that crime goes up when gun ownership goes up.

take the positive where you can find it guys. small steps in the right direction is better than no steps in the right direction.

mz

QQQ
02-08-2011, 11:43 AM

About $120 to take the required safety course (cheapest price I found while living there)+whatever cost for ammo the instructor wants to charge.
Unknown costs for the required passport photographs (taken in the last 30 days)
Unknown cost for vision test (that's right- you need to show you have good vision to legally exercise your RKBA in DC)
Application $13 handgun $13 long gun
Ballistics Test $12 handgun N/A long gun
Fingerprinting / FBI Background Check $35 for both
Unknown costs for transportation- especially to the only FFL, who lives in a part of DC not serviced by the metrorail system, and to the instructors, none of whom operate in DC.
$125 transfer fee

So for a handgun that's 125+120+13+12+35 = $305 on top of the cost of the gun and transportation (remember- most people in DC do not have cars so you have to rent or take a taxi to go anywhere with your firearm- that's another hundred at least).

That is WAY out of reach for most DC residents, myself included when I was living there.

Believe me, I'm as glad as anyone that Heller turned out well. But it's a LONG WAY-TO THE TOP-IF YOU WANT TO ROCK 'N ROLLLLL

Mulay El Raisuli
02-08-2011, 11:54 AM

instead of picking this article apart, be glad its there: the brady bunch may be stopped in their tracks re their claims that crime goes up when gun ownership goes up.

take the positive where you can find it guys. small steps in the right direction is better than no steps in the right direction.

mz

Yup.

The Raisuli

press1280
02-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Remember this is a city that repeatedly put a crackhead mayor back in office time after time, even when the city's crime rate spiraled out of control. It votes 90% Democrat in presidential elections(even the most liberal cities in the country don't vote 90% Democrat). It doesn't suprise me that so few have registered guns in the poor neighborhoods. They have no idea about Heller or registration. If they want to carry, they'll just get a gun off the streets and carry.

N6ATF
02-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Looks like all DC's infringements are achieving the desired result, keeping most poor people disarmed.

yellowfin
02-08-2011, 1:11 PM
It votes 90% Democrat in presidential elections(even the most liberal cities in the country don't vote 90% Democrat).Or at least that's how the people who count the votes say the voting goes. For all we know it could be 50/50 or 35/65.

stix213
02-08-2011, 1:43 PM
that man holding the glock needs more lessons. Can someone tell him to take his damn finger off the trigger

They probably asked him to pose with his finger in that position. I don't have a problem with people having their finger on the trigger when posing for a picture anymore than I have a problem with gun fire in a movie - same thing. A candid shot is a different story. Plus if you look closely his finger isn't even on the trigger due to the trigger being in the uncocked rearward position.

I did think the article was pretty fair considering the usual crap that comes out of journalism these days