PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Weapons Permits Soar In Sacramento County

My375hp302
02-08-2011, 6:25 AM
Scanned real quick and didn't see this posted yet... click link for story and video...

http://www.kcra.com/news/26779574/detail.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The number of concealed weapons permits issued has grown dramatically as newly elected Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones is making good on a campaign promise, according to new statistics released by the department.

Jones recently took over the job held by John McGinness.

"I said during the campaign I was going to be more permissive. We have seen an influx in applications," Jones told KCRA 3.

So far this year, 175 concealed weapons permits have been issued by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department. That compares to the 12 issued in all of 2008 and 67 approved last year.

The department said another 200 applications are under review right now. Only 21 applications have been rejected under the new administration.

"I may be a little concerned that there are more guns out there. However, I think the research shows and my own experience shows that CCW permit holders are more responsible and safer," Jones said.

DannyInSoCal
02-08-2011, 6:39 AM
Great job CGF - Now for Orange County....

Havoc70
02-08-2011, 6:39 AM
"I may be a little concerned that there are more guns out there. However, I think the research shows and my own experience shows that CCW permit holders are more responsible and safer," Jones said.

I have to respect that statement.

12voltguy
02-08-2011, 6:53 AM
I have to respect that statement.

yes & no
he should not be concerened at all with legal ownership & legal CCW
it's not like a criminal is signing papers to get a gun & rob someone,lol

jdberger
02-08-2011, 6:59 AM
....[/toetapping]

waiting for the inevitable, "Blood in the streets" "gunfights over parking spaces" wailing from the Bradys.

yellowfin
02-08-2011, 6:59 AM
1% of residents licensed and carrying would be tens of thousands, and 175 is a huge explosion in numbers? I'm wondering how much of the slow turnout is:

a) most gun owners driven out of CA
b) gun owners who would want CCW driven out of CA
c) remaining ones who would don't know yet about availability or existence of CCW because in prior years it was a no-go
d) Fuddism
e) deterrence of complicated process compared to other states

Crom
02-08-2011, 7:32 AM
1% of residents licensed and carrying would be tens of thousands, and 175 is a huge explosion in numbers? I'm wondering how much of the slow turnout is:

a) most gun owners driven out of CA
b) gun owners who would want CCW driven out of CA
c) remaining ones who would don't know yet about availability or existence of CCW because in prior years it was a no-go
d) Fuddism
e) deterrence of complicated process compared to other states

Yes. The article said "The number of concealed weapons permits issued has grown dramatically" If you look at it from a percentage, it has!

Compared to 2008, CCW issuance is up 1,458%! (175/12)
Compared to 2010, CCW issuance is up 261% (175/67), and 2011 is very young.

This is good news. :)

Blackhawk556
02-08-2011, 7:53 AM
I heard 58 puppies and 12 kittens were slaughtered as a result of this, is this true?

timdps
02-08-2011, 8:16 AM
It is good news, but perhaps "Soar" in the headline was not the best word to describe it.

"10 Times As Many Permits Issued As In 2008"

Why 2008, not 2009, 2010? Makes for a more dramatic headline?

Tim

Yes. The article said "The number of concealed weapons permits issued has grown dramatically" If you look at it from a percentage, it has!

Compared to 2008, CCW issuance is up 1,458%! (175/12)

This is good news. :)

GutPunch
02-08-2011, 8:16 AM
Yeah only a couple hundred new CCWs cause some of us are 5 months for our initial meeting.

jnojr
02-08-2011, 8:27 AM
Yeah only a couple hundred new CCWs cause some of us are 5 months for our initial meeting.

???

Is that anything like in San Diego, where you submit your application in a meeting with one or more Department officials?

Maybe you could write them a letter and suggest that they streamline the process... accept handed-in applications, they can review them, and call people back for an appointment that "need" that? That way, they could DQ those who are ineligible without taking up much time, and pass along those they're going to issue to anyway (granted, that's likely to be ex LEOs, judges, ADAs, etc., basically "the elite", but it would help speed things along). They'd only wind up interviewing some applicants instead of all.

GutPunch
02-08-2011, 8:33 AM
???

Is that anything like in San Diego, where you submit your application in a meeting with one or more Department officials?

Maybe you could write them a letter and suggest that they streamline the process... accept handed-in applications, they can review them, and call people back for an appointment that "need" that? That way, they could DQ those who are ineligible without taking up much time, and pass along those they're going to issue to anyway (granted, that's likely to be ex LEOs, judges, ADAs, etc., basically "the elite", but it would help speed things along). They'd only wind up interviewing some applicants instead of all.

They have new fancy online system: http://sacsheriff.checkappointments.com/

Check it out. If you were to sign up today, the earliest you could get into the office to have your initial meeting with an officer is June 29th.

yellowfin
02-08-2011, 8:35 AM
I heard 58 puppies and 12 kittens were slaughtered as a result of this, is this true?Which would be about the number a small "humane society" does in a day, probably less.

Shiboleth
02-08-2011, 8:38 AM
...newly elected Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones is making good on a campaign promise...

Oh is that how it happened? Nice to see credit given where it's due...

Civilitant
02-08-2011, 8:40 AM
yes & no
he should not be concerened at all with legal ownership & legal CCW
it's not like a criminal is signing papers to get a gun & rob someone,lol

my sentiment exactly...

why is he still on the fence? show me a CCW holder who goes on a rampage in Sacramento.... waiting..... waiting... waiting.... make a choice and stand behind it for once .... with BOTH feet.

CCWFacts
02-08-2011, 8:41 AM
This is the same kind of news story that gets run in any location when it goes shall-issue. If you looked at local media in the other states when they transitioned to shall-issue you would see similar stories. Then a couple years later they do a follow-up story to see how it's going and none of the blood on the streets predictions came true.

The two guys being interviewed saying these things would be used by criminals - how did they get chosen to interview? They seem to have no power of reason. Criminals can't pass the BG checks. Someone who is desperate enough to commit a robbery or other serious violent crime isn't going have the time or money to apply. With all the millions of permit-holders in the US, surely there would be some concrete evidence of permit holders getting involved in crime?

Dexster
02-08-2011, 8:43 AM
You guys do know it's only Feb right???

He has 10 more months to increase the number of CCWs on the street... Be happy when you have a victory.

dantodd
02-08-2011, 8:50 AM
I suspect this was originally written in 2010. The references to 2008 and "last year" supports this. I also seem to remember a story with similar numbers specifically about 2010.

NotEnufGarage
02-08-2011, 8:55 AM
The 2011 number should be well over 1,000, seeing as there are appointments to submit an application booked 36 per week until the end of June at this point.

Cobrafreak
02-08-2011, 8:59 AM
I'm one of the 2010 numbers. I get my CCW permit in the mail within 10 days. Viva CGF and responsible gun owners everywhere.

Shenaniguns
02-08-2011, 9:00 AM
Thank you again CGF, your work is much appreciated :D

Mr. 1 of 175 :p

quiet-wyatt
02-08-2011, 9:12 AM
my sentiment exactly...

why is he still on the fence? show me a CCW holder who goes on a rampage in Sacramento.... waiting..... waiting... waiting.... make a choice and stand behind it for once .... with BOTH feet.

Perhaps because his is a political office, he's a "little concerned" to somewhat appease the antis, but the fact is that he IS issuing CCWs as he said he would.

Plus he reminds the antis that "the research shows and my own experience shows that CCW permit holders are more responsible and safer"...

Just my humble opinion...

I'm glad he's in office!

BlindRacer
02-08-2011, 1:29 PM
Great job CGF - Now for Orange County....

My thoughts exactly :)

Troygen
02-08-2011, 2:05 PM
I am one of the new holders. i turned in my app on dec 1 2010 and got my permit in the mail Sat feb 5th.

Swift Justice
02-08-2011, 2:09 PM

For once I'm happy to be a statistic...:)

CSDGuy
02-08-2011, 9:43 PM
The 2011 number should be well over 1,000, seeing as there are appointments to submit an application booked 36 per week until the end of June at this point.
At the pace they're going, (if they maintain a 95% approval rate) they should be well over 1500 NEW CCW applications approved every year. I was told that they're booking 40 appointments per week...

ccwtrainer
02-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Perhaps because his is a political office, he's a "little concerned" to somewhat appease the antis, but the fact is that he IS issuing CCWs as he said he would.

Plus he reminds the antis that "the research shows and my own experience shows that CCW permit holders are more responsible and safer"...

Just my humble opinion...

I'm glad he's in office!

I'm also glad Scott Jones is in office. Actions speak louder than words any day.

Kid Stanislaus
02-09-2011, 12:26 AM
....[/toetapping] waiting for the inevitable, "Blood in the streets" "gunfights over parking spaces" wailing from the Bradys.

They are starting to realize that malarkey is beginning to wear thin. ;)

N6ATF
02-09-2011, 12:36 AM
They're desperate... the only real chance they have left is coordinated terrorist/false flag attacks with all the guns they hypocritically (or in the case of all their criminal and drug addict celebrity members, illegally) own. I'll be surprised if they don't try it to set us back in this golden decade of civil rights litigation.

77bawls
02-09-2011, 11:56 AM
....[/toetapping]

waiting for the inevitable, "Blood in the streets" "gunfights over parking spaces" wailing from the Bradys.

I saw blood in the streets by my work.

Somebody hit a guy on a bike.

hoffmang
02-09-2011, 8:49 PM
Gentlemen,

The best way to know what a politician is doing is not to watch his lips but his actions. The only denials I know of in Sac County are "colorful."

-Gene

77bawls
02-09-2011, 9:03 PM
Gentlemen,

The best way to know what a politician is doing is not to watch his lips but his actions. The only denials I know of in Sac County are "colorful."

-Gene

Colorful with a questionable background or just colorful?

joefreas
02-09-2011, 9:12 PM
And watch the crime rates fall-

N6ATF
02-09-2011, 9:32 PM
Colorful with a questionable background or just colorful?

This guy comes to your door, sings the denial letter, and does a flag waving and dance routine.

http://www.forward.com/workspace/assets/images/articles/pride-061809.jpg

Glenn E. Palmer
02-10-2011, 7:44 PM
Gentlemen,

-Gene

Don't forget, those of you that support the Sheriff's actions need to make sure that you stand with him. Let him know personally that you appreciate what he is doing for you and California. He is apt to catch heck from the media and from other Sheriff's across California.

Glenn E. Palmer, Sheriff
Grant County, Oregon

Gray Peterson
02-10-2011, 8:58 PM
Don't forget, those of you that support the Sheriff's actions need to make sure that you stand with him. Let him know personally that you appreciate what he is doing for you and California. He is apt to catch heck from the media and from other Sheriff's across California.

Glenn E. Palmer, Sheriff
Grant County, Oregon

Agreed.

Andy Taylor
02-11-2011, 6:08 AM
Well I turned in my app yesterday. I must say the interview was painlesss, and handled very professionally

kblack583
02-11-2011, 6:55 AM
So the Sac Bee has the story today about increased CCW permits in Sac County. You gotta love howthey put it under the caption of "THE CRIME LINE".

Guess its not surprising if you read the Bee at all.

GrizzlyGuy
02-11-2011, 8:12 AM
I don't want to be the glass-half-empty guy, but note that per the story there were 175 + 21 = 196 applications acted on by the new administration and 21 (10.7%) were rejections. It is hard for me to believe that all of those 21 people were prohibited from possessing firearms but didn't know it, lied on their application, didn't fill it out fully, etc.

That means that there is likely a significant number of people getting rejected for subjective reasons related to good moral character. This demonstrates to me (again) how important the Richards v. Prieto (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Richards_v._Prieto) case is. All the subjectivity related to 'good moral character' assessment needs to be eliminated as the suit seeks to do, and Prieto can't be let off the hook as McGinness was. My daily prayers continue (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5299914#post5299914).

Shenaniguns
02-11-2011, 8:18 AM
I don't want to be the glass-half-empty guy, but note that per the story there were 175 + 21 = 196 applications acted on by the new administration and 21 (10.7%) were rejections. It is hard for me to believe that all of those 21 people were prohibited from possessing firearms but didn't know it, lied on their application, didn't fill it out fully, etc.

That means that there is likely a significant number of people getting rejected for subjective reasons related to good moral character. This demonstrates to me (again) how important the Richards v. Prieto (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Richards_v._Prieto) case is. All the subjectivity related to 'good moral character' assessment needs to be eliminated as the suit seeks to do, and Prieto can't be let off the hook as McGinness was. My daily prayers continue (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5299914#post5299914).

There's people on this forum from the Sacramento area that asked if they should apply with felonies committed as juveniles or horrible driving records. Not to mention that not everyone applying is a Calguns member and may not have GC for whatever reason.

Cobrafreak
02-11-2011, 9:19 AM

My buddy that was denied spoke with a lawyer on Calguns and the lawyer said it was "ridiculous" and that he has a valid case, and that he is also working on one other in the same situation. So there may be two that swing back toward CCW acceptance.

hoffmang
02-11-2011, 9:52 PM
My buddy that was denied spoke with a lawyer on Calguns and the lawyer said it was "ridiculous" and that he has a valid case, and that he is also working on one other in the same situation. So there may be two that swing back toward CCW acceptance.

No offense intended, but there is often a lot more to the story than a buddy tells you. I think he may mis-state what was said about such a denial.

-Gene

Cobrafreak
02-12-2011, 6:57 PM
No offense intended, but there is often a lot more to the story than a buddy tells you. I think he may mis-state what was said about such a denial.

-Gene

We will see. He's my friend and I would like to think that we have an honest relationship. I don't think he would have began the expensive and tedious CCW process had he thought that he would not be able to get it.

dantodd
02-12-2011, 7:18 PM
We will see. He's my friend and I would like to think that we have an honest relationship. I don't think he would have began the expensive and tedious CCW process had he thought that he would not be able to get it.

Gene is the chairman of the CGFoundation I suspect he was hinting that your friend may have been overly optimistic about the response he rec'd from Cgfoundation

Sent via tapatalk on my Samsung Vibrant.