PDA

View Full Version : south korean gun laws???

Dirty506
02-07-2011, 8:58 PM
anybody know what the gun laws in south korea are? or if they are different for personally owned firearms for US military on post? i cant go a year without being able to shoot my guns.

turbosbox
02-07-2011, 9:16 PM
You can shoot you guns, when you go back home on mid-tour leave :D
IIRC you can't bring any with you, on or off post. The closest thing will probably be re-qualification or exercises with live fire.
There is a military section on calguns, and I'm sure other people will know.
Edit: I'm sure you can look up a search on korea civilian ownership, but I also don't recall anyone mentioning private ownership off post either, locals I mean.

The Shadow
02-07-2011, 9:23 PM
anybody know what the gun laws in south korea are? or if they are different for personally owned firearms for US military on post? i cant go a year without being able to shoot my guns.

It's been a long time since I was there (77-78), but I wasn't aware of any places that Korean civilians were allowed to shoot. You may want to check and see if you can actually take your privately owned firearms with you, I know I couldn't back then, and I'm thinking that they would absolutely not allow it now. The only Koreans that I saw with any kind of firearm, other than ROKs and KATUSAs were the guys dressed in camo, riding bikes, and carrying M1 carbines. Beyond that, I didn't even see the KNPs (Korean National Police) carrying firearms, except for maybe one or two in Seoul.

sniper4usmc
02-07-2011, 9:32 PM
Hunting rifle(low powered,Air rifle),Shotguns are legal in Korea for Hunting,Trap shooting etc,,but I bet Shotgun rounds cost least $10 a round..

Go buy yourself Japanese/Korean made airsoft....

Dirty506
02-07-2011, 9:35 PM
fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Mr.Caketown
02-07-2011, 10:02 PM
did you request Korea or was it given to you?

Super Spy
02-07-2011, 10:18 PM
How about a quick weekend trip to Cambodia or the Philipines? Both places where a good time with guns can be had easily. Indonesia is where they filmed "I like Guns" My Favorite You Tube Video

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-TC2xTCb_GU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Philipines has some gun control laws but they are readily available...

tiko
02-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Absolutely no handguns in Korea, Japan, China, Vietnam, Burmese, Taiwan, Mongolia, Laos, Singapore, Cambodia.
Handguns are allowed with permit in Thailand, Phillipines, Indonesia.

Dirty506
02-07-2011, 10:47 PM
ya i came down on orders i was voluntold... not really lookin forward to it

GOEX FFF
02-07-2011, 10:51 PM
There is the Lotte World Shooting Range in Seoul

http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=266849

"15000 ~ 30000won (per 10 bullets / depends on rifle)" = $13.62USD ~ $27.31USD for 10 rounds. :eek:

http://jpgamboa.com/archives/1351

Mr.Caketown
02-07-2011, 11:20 PM
ya i came down on orders i was voluntold... not really lookin forward to it

:rofl2:

My friend wants me to go to put Korea on my wishlist , If you dont seem to excited about it i dont think i should be doing it

Dirty506
02-07-2011, 11:47 PM
ya i've heard mixed things about it some people love it others hate it. we will see what happens.

Dutch Schultz
02-08-2011, 3:23 AM
I was in Seoul around the Youngsan area a few years back. Very cool place. I think you'll warm up to it. I wasn't aware that Lotte World had a shooting range when I was there. 98 - 04

ALSystems
02-08-2011, 7:24 AM
Absolutely no handguns in Korea, Japan, China, Vietnam, Burmese, Taiwan, Mongolia, Laos, Singapore, Cambodia.
Handguns are allowed with permit in Thailand, Phillipines, Indonesia.
Looks like the only handgun permitted would look like this: :D
http://www.ntsystemscal.com/download/other/Sandwichgun.jpg

Jack L
02-08-2011, 9:10 AM
When and if North Korea invades South Korea, the government would have wished it's citizens were armed. It will be blood bath like few others since WWII. Have you read the numbers of North Koreans that would stream down upon the south? Amazing. Plus the North Korean citizens would flee south. It would be a mega SHTF scenario.

sniper4usmc
02-08-2011, 9:24 AM
When and if North Korea invades South Korea, the government would have wished it's citizens were armed. It will be blood bath like few others since WWII. Have you read the numbers of North Koreans that would stream down upon the south? Amazing. Plus the North Korean citizens would flee south. It would be a mega SHTF scenario.

Korean male have to serve mandatory 2-3yrs active service duty,after service they are signed to ready reserve unit,and they have to attend military training once a year until age of 35-45?(not sure)......they do have Weapons in Local Armory,in case of wars..probably Surplus M16A1

edsel6502
02-08-2011, 9:32 AM
When I was in Seoul. For ****s and giggles I searched for ranges open to the public.

I found like 2-3 ranges in Seoul itself.

However, as a previous poster mentioned. Its hella expensive.

M1A Rifleman
02-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Not sure I'd want to be US Military stationed there - :( - could end up US Military POW. :mad:

Durasteel
02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Not sure, but iirc, you can own sporting firearms, but you have to store them at a police station. :rolleyes:

The Shadow
02-08-2011, 1:30 PM
ya i've heard mixed things about it some people love it others hate it. we will see what happens.

I had no problem with being there. I got to know a lot of the local people and was treated well by everyone I knew.

I was with the 2nd MP Co. and made several trips to Pan Mun Jom or compounds that were near it.

From what I understand, Korea south of Seoul is different than Korea near the DMZ. Pretty much everyone from Seoul south, was 8th army and essentially support for 2nd Infantry Division. But I'm sure that's changed.

Korea is what you make of it. If you want to be miserable, Korea will definitely accommodate you. If you have orders to go, deal with it, that one year will be an experience that you will never forget. For me, Korea stands out more so than the other places I was assigned to.

One last thing. Korea was cheap when I was there. I was able to save 1500.00 then. In 78, that was good. So, you can go out and enjoy the ville cheaply.

sniper4usmc
02-08-2011, 1:41 PM
I got the ARMY friend,who is stationed in USAG Humphreys, and he makes extra income doing part time english tutor on Wkend, $50 a hr.......

you can also buy highend Liquor bottle @PX (limit is 1 or 2 per month),and sell it offbase for double $$.:)

Recession
02-08-2011, 2:08 PM
Make the best of it. Good food and good women. Have fun.

The Shadow
02-08-2011, 2:21 PM
I got the ARMY friend,who is stationed in USAG Humphreys, and he makes extra income doing part time english tutor on Wkend, $50 a hr.......

you can also buy highend Liquor bottle @PX (limit is 1 or 2 per month),and sell it offbase for double $$.:)

If they're still doing it, he will have a ration control card that he will need to use to get those items. The amount of money a person makes is not worth the penalties they could incur if they're caught. If he's caught selling those items in the ville, he could face some stiff penalties to include, reduction in rank, paying of fines, confinement and dishonorable discharge if it's bad enough. I saw otherwise good people go down the tubes for ration control violations. The Black Market is not an EMs friend.