PDA

View Full Version : CMP has a new options, barreled receivers $300

TonyNorCal
09-07-2006, 1:07 PM
Receiver with a service grade barrel.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm (scroll down)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
M1 GARAND STRIPPED BARRELED RECEIVERS

Shipping and Handling for barreled receivers - $12.95 each.

NLU DESCRIPTION PRICE
R013SA Springfield - Dark gray reparked receiver with reparked service grade barrel installed. $300

joe_sun
09-07-2006, 2:09 PM
I saw those.. and wondered why I'd pay $300.00 for a barrel receiver instead of just getting a woodless Dane for $5.00 less!

TonyNorCal
09-07-2006, 2:24 PM
The woodless Dane is a rack grade and therefore you might get a completely shot barrel (of course some Danes are much better, crapshoot).

With the barreled receiver you're getting a service grade barrel.

anothergunnut
09-07-2006, 7:14 PM
If it had a headspaced bolt, it would be a great project gun.

30Cal
09-10-2006, 4:26 PM
If it had a headspaced bolt, it would be a great project gun.

Based on prior experience, finding a bolt to headspace is not always an easy thing. I rebarreled a CMP WRA with a CMP SG barrel--tried four different bolts and it would eat the NOGO gage every time. I finally had to buy a bolt from Orion 7 (told them to send me the longest one they had).

Ty

NRAhighpowershooter
09-10-2006, 8:40 PM
Based on prior experience, finding a bolt to headspace is not always an easy thing. I rebarreled a CMP WRA with a CMP SG barrel--tried four different bolts and it would eat the NOGO gage every time. I finally had to buy a bolt from Orion 7 (told them to send me the longest one they had).

and I'm on the opposite end of this.... I have yet to have a bolt not headspace,, even with the 20 I have on hand to try.... I usually have had the first one I pick out headspace... I usually try to match up revision numbers on the bolt to the receiver date....

icormba
09-10-2006, 11:57 PM
$300? Man, I remember not too long ago I got a IHC, with original like new LMR barrel, barreled receiver for around that price? Then again this is today and the receiver is $150 by itís self plus $150 for the barrel? Good deal!

I have had the same luck as NRAhighpowershooter with bolts, but to a much lesser extent.
;)

Here's what the CMP sold re-parked barreled receivers can look like after you rub in some gun oil:
http://www.m1garand.net/M1Pics/Chris/IHC_3.jpg

kurac
09-11-2006, 7:59 AM
Sometimes the headspace issue can be caused by a barrel that is chambered too deep. If its really bad, even the longest bolt won't help you.

This is one of the reason some barrel manufacturers sell short chambered barrels. With a pull through finishing reamer, you turn the reamer while putting closing pressure on the bolt, when enough material is removed, the bolt will close and now you have a match grade chamber, for an autoloader, a little more material removed is helpful since it allows for more reliable functioning.