PDA

View Full Version : TIME article: gunnies are "committed corps of single-issue voters"...

bwiese
02-07-2011, 9:55 AM
TIME magazine article, "Why Obama's Silence on Gun Control Pleases No One"

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,2046592,00.html

Underlining is mine.

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, gun-control advocates spent $57,900 during the
2008 election, while the gun-rights lobby shelled out $2.4 million, or 41 times more.

More importantly, says Ladd Everitt of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, they have cultivated
a committed corps of "single-issue voters" people who reliably trek to the polls to cast a ballot
for the candidate who will go to the mat for their right to bear arms. "We have not been able, to
the degree we need, to develop a single-issue public-safety vote," Everitt says. "That is our
challenge."

Freebird
02-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Articles like that make me cringe.

1064chubbs
02-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Link not working for me.

taperxz
02-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Articles like this make me smile! They admit that can't rally their troops for their cause. It basically makes the point that Obama doesn't want to touch this topic for fear he will lose more than just the senate, he will also lose the presidency.

jdberger
02-07-2011, 10:15 AM

I don't.

I applaud them.

These articles serve two beneficial purposes.

1) They show politicians how strong we are. 4.3 million members means about 100,000 single issue voters in each Congressional district. That's a LOT of votes.

2) It illustrates that:

We.

Are.

Winning.

bob7122
02-07-2011, 10:18 AM
and i was just getting use to being the underdog :stuart:

PatriotnMore
02-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I am not a single issue voter, all of the constitution is watch worthy, and I will always vote to maintain and keep our founding. However, IMO as a voter, the 2nd is the one most under attack, and violated.

Freebird
02-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't.

I applaud them.

These articles serve two beneficial purposes.

1) They show politicians how strong we are. 4.3 million members means about 100,000 single issue voters in each Congressional district. That's a LOT of votes.

2) It illustrates that:

We.

Are.

Winning.

I should have been more precise. I was referring to the unabashed bias of the piece.

yellowfin
02-07-2011, 10:25 AM
If only we REALLY pushed as hard as we could. It's so aggravating seeing just how much we hold back given how well we do with 10% or less of gun owners. Currently we're banging on the door with a 20 oz hammer when we should be hitting it with a 10 ton wrecking ball.

dfletcher
02-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I've found that most often a pro-gun politician's other positions line up with mine fairly well - not perfect by any means but pretty well. In general though I think the whole "gun owners = single issue voter" is over played, it's not quite what folks imagine. Perhaps that perception is a good thing.

CCWFacts
02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Articles like this make me smile! They admit that can't rally their troops for their cause. It basically makes the point that Obama doesn't want to touch this topic for fear he will lose more than just the senate, he will also lose the presidency.

Hehe, the Onion had an even better article on the subject:

Obama delivers whispered, untelevised speed on gun control (http://www.theonion.com/articles/obama-delivers-whispered-untelevised-speech-on-gun,19068/)
President Obama delivered a 10-minute-long inaudible and untelevised speech on gun control Thursday, addressing the politically volatile topic from behind the closed doors of the Oval Office, where nobody could see or hear him. "The Second Amendment doesn't" said Obama, who trailed off and gently whispered a number of strong, definitive statements that were muffled by the hand in front of his face...

wash
02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
I am not a single issue voter, all of the constitution is watch worthy, and I will always vote to maintain and keep our founding. However, IMO as a voter, the 2nd is the one most under attack, and violated.
Well I hope you like what you get when you dilute the power of your vote.

I am a single issue voter, that is the reason why I voted for Jerry Brown. I will happily live with the consequences because no matter how poorly he does otherwise our gun rights will not be abused as much as they would have been under Meg Whittman.

That will lead to other candidates who are neutral to positive on gun rights which means in the future I'll actually have a choice that I can make on different issues.

Compromising is what leads to .50 BMG bans and RINO's.

Both parties need to feel some pain from us if they do not respect our second amendment rights.

ipser
02-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I've found that most often a pro-gun politician's other positions line up with mine fairly well - not perfect by any means but pretty well. In general though I think the whole "gun owners = single issue voter" is over played, it's not quite what folks imagine. Perhaps that perception is a good thing.

This is exactly right. While one can always find exceptions, as a general rule I have found that politicians who take the right stance on gun control also take the right stance on most other constitutional issues.

Conversely, people who attack or disregard the Second Amendment generally have no serious regard for the constitution, generally (beyond a handful of penumbras).

mtptwo
02-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Well the article isn't exactly true. In my experience reading this board, pro-gun voters generally vote anti abortion and gay marriage as well. ;)

PatriotnMore
02-07-2011, 10:46 AM

I am a single issue voter, that is the reason why I voted for Jerry Brown. I will happily live with the consequences because no matter how poorly he does otherwise our gun rights will not be abused as much as they would have been under Meg Whittman.

That will lead to other candidates who are neutral to positive on gun rights which means in the future I'll actually have a choice that I can make on different issues.

Both parties need to feel some pain from us if they do not respect our second amendment rights.

Oy Vey, there is some self righteous justification for the continued down turn of CA, but hey, nothing on the gun front got worse......or did it? We'll see what he does and does not do.

wash
02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't like being painted that way.

Imagine if all the fuss and energy spent arguing about abortion was spent on preventing unwanted pregnancy. That would eliminate 90% of the issue.

Gay marriage is fine with me. Prop 8 was an abomination. I really wonder why it's possible to change the constitution in such a profound way on a simple majority vote.

QQQ
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Gay marriage is fine with me. Prop 8 was an abomination. I really wonder why it's possible to change the constitution in such a profound way on a simple majority vote.

It only changed the State Constitution. Your 2A RKBA is not nearly as vulnerable.

02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
The 2nd is a priority for me but not my only consideration upon voting

bwiese
02-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Well the article isn't exactly true. In my experience reading this board, pro-gun voters generally vote anti abortion and gay marriage as well. ;)

Tons of us don't.

ARFcommers think Calguns is 'liberal'.

There's a balance.

RRangel
02-07-2011, 11:11 AM

The part that Bwiese cited makes me happy. It's the rest of the article that's hard to read.

xrMike
02-07-2011, 11:20 AM
The 2nd is a priority for me but not my only consideration upon votingSame here. I didn't (and could never) vote for Brown either.

rips31
02-07-2011, 11:34 AM
while i hate being painted as a single-issue voter, being labeled such smacks of desperation from the other side about how badly they are losing. that makes me optimistic.

frankly, i'd much rather vote for a candidate that puts fixing our nation's/state's/county's/city's problems (e.g. economy/jobs/etc) than one that solely pushes for more 2a-rights (if they do both, it's a bonus, but i'll choose the lesser of the two evils). i don't sweat the anti-2a folks...there's more problems out there than the inability to buy a particular brand of firearm or calibre.

besides, with the current scotus rulings, our 2a/rkba is affirmed. let the good folks at nra/crpa/cgf/2af/etc do their work. we'll get our fully-realized 2a soon enough.

FatalKitty
02-07-2011, 12:19 PM

that's a big negative.

nicki
02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Gun rights are the defining "Single Issue" because without them, all of our other rights become government revocable privileges.

The premise of our government operating under the "consent of the governed" means nothing if the governed can't revoke "their consent".

The first amendment's recognizing our right to peaceful protest and redress of grievances with our government is in fact a right because the second amendment ensures that we have the means to violently enforce our rights if peaceful means fail.

The second amendment does not recognize our right to "armed insurrection", what it recognizes is our right to replace a government that is in "insurrection" against the people, in effect, a domestic enemy.

Surrender our arms is getting rid of our insurance that if our government goes bad, we have no means to correct things.

Unfortunately many pro gun politicians are not that great on other personal liberty issues. Still, I have voted pro gun while holding my nose on other issues.

Nicki

vintagearms
02-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Tons of us don't.

ARFcommers think Calguns is 'liberal'.

There's a balance.

Who said anything about ARF.com? :confused: Most of them are overweight wanna be's or those that still want to relive their youth. I ought to know, I used to hang with alot of them in real life.

pgg
02-07-2011, 12:46 PM

It's OK, the Brady's are cringing more:

Last year the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, citing "extraordinary silence and passivity," graded Obama an F on gun control.

Cue the Nelson ha-ha pic ...

Don29palms
02-07-2011, 1:13 PM
Just more propaganda BS!

N6ATF
02-07-2011, 1:44 PM
CSGV, et al can't "develop a single-issue public-safety vote" because they only care about harming public safety and protecting criminals at whatever cost to innocent lives.

chris
02-07-2011, 2:09 PM
More importantly, says Ladd Everitt of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, they have cultivated a committed corps of "single-issue voters" — people who reliably trek to the polls to cast a ballot for the candidate who will go to the mat for their right to bear arms. "We have not been able, to the degree we need, to develop a single-issue public-safety vote," Everitt says. "That is our challenge."

it will be very hard for them to get to the point we are at when it comes to protecting our rights and those who want to take it away.

stix213
02-07-2011, 2:14 PM
I wish Obama would actually come out hard in favor of gun restrictions right now....

Because they would likely not succeed, and would doom him to a 1 term presidency almost for certain. I'm thinking about the next terms supreme court nominations more than anything here.

Obama is actually playing the game right by not taking on this issue. Whoever is advising him is doing a good job recently.

Volksgrenadier
02-07-2011, 2:24 PM
I would agree that on many fronts we (2nd Amendment voters) are in fact winning. I would humbly suggest that no pressure be taken off of those who would strip us of our liberties, be they state or national opposition.

The enemies of liberty are damaged and disorganized. Like a boxing match, move in for the KO.

With regard to the Whitman/Brown commentary, that recent election was like an episode of Southpark: vote for the crap sandwich or the giant douche.

In this formerly golden state, I would hazard that the course seen here of litigation to preserve essential liberty is the wisest one, especially in light of recent electoral events which seems to point toward a disquietingly large portion of the electorate more than willing to vote for oppression.

ipser
02-07-2011, 2:28 PM
it will be very hard for them to get to the point we are at when it comes to protecting our rights and those who want to take it away.

In fact it would be very easy if guns were (or merely perceived to be) the genuine threat to public safety that they claim.

But people really don't believe this. Most people I know who favor gun control believe, rather, that there would be no harm in it which is very different.

The simple truth is that the typical supporter of gun control has no real confidence in the value of it.

wash
02-07-2011, 3:05 PM
while i hate being painted as a single-issue voter, being labeled such smacks of desperation from the other side about how badly they are losing. that makes me optimistic.
I'm proud that our group has many single issue voters. The alternative is a group of people who will compromise their principals over policy issues.

Once we have a large enough group of single issue voters the politicians will begin to cater to our needs. You can't get that without focus and solidarity.

madmike
02-07-2011, 3:21 PM
I'm proud that our group has many single issue voters. The alternative is a group of people who will compromise their principals over policy issues.

Once we have a large enough group of single issue voters the politicians will begin to cater to our needs. You can't get that without focus and solidarity.

Yes. Once the topic of gun control is as off the political table as the idea of segregation, I'll consider other issues more urgent.
We are not there yet...

gd-bh
02-07-2011, 3:31 PM
I am a "single issue" voter, just not exactly as how that article wishes to portray it. My "single issue" is freedom. The very freedom bought and paid for with the life and limb of thousands of people better than I over the past 235 or so years.

I vote for "freedom" from government intervention in it's citizens lives. (thus never for a tax increase, or expansion of any sort of government power)

I vote for "freedom" from government debt. (never for a bond issue, no matter how candy coated the lies are to make the sell)

I vote for "freedom" from foreign invasion, whether by force or peaceable means. (better be strong on defense, and very anti illegal immigration)

I vote for "freedom" to do as you wish, even if you fail while doing it. (so unlimited welfare, government bailouts of private industry, mandated national healthcare,etc has never gotten my vote)

I vote for "freedom" from self imposed monarchy. (I don't vote for incumbents, as one term is enough for anyone with so many others who are willing to serve)

I vote for the "freedom" of religion forced upon citizens by the state. (thus, I will never vote for an issue proffered by the new religion of "global warming" or any sort of religion, no matter the false idol it glorifies)

And last, but not least, I vote for the "freedom" guaranteed by ALL of the constitution and it's amendments. Obviously the 2nd is the cornerstone to guarantee that freedom, so if you can't grasp that concept, I will never vote for you. Realize that politicians hate the 2nd for the simple reason is as long as the citizenry is armed, they cannot ever exercise the complete control over them that they so secretly desire.

So, yeah, put the "single issue" label on me if you like, but realize that "single issue" has many many complicated parts, and I won't be fooled by the polish some try to put on any turds that seek to erode that single issue.

Legasat
02-07-2011, 3:32 PM

None of us will ever know that. I remain optimistic that he will not sign any stupid legislation, but time will tell.

The one thing I believe is that "They will never stop coming after us." We need to remain ever vigilant and organized for the next big attack.

CCWFacts
02-07-2011, 3:37 PM
I wish Obama would actually come out hard in favor of gun restrictions right now....

Me too. I wish he would blow all the political capital he has on an extreme AWB and make it a top-tier policy goal.

Because they would likely not succeed, and would doom him to a 1 term presidency almost for certain.

Exactly. As they say:

A recession is when you lose your job.
A depression is when I lose my job.
A recovery is when Obama loses his job.

I'm thinking about the next terms supreme court nominations more than anything here.

Exactly. We have our five. That does not give us any margin of safety.

Obama is actually playing the game right by not taking on this issue. Whoever is advising him is doing a good job recently.

The issue is radioactive. I wish Obama weren't smart enough to see that. Unfortunately, he's both malevolent and competent.

rabagley
02-07-2011, 4:37 PM
I vote for "freedom" from government intervention in it's citizens lives. (thus never for a tax increase, or expansion of any sort of government power)

I vote for "freedom" from government debt. (never for a bond issue, no matter how candy coated the lies are to make the sell)

I vote for "freedom" from foreign invasion, whether by force or peaceable means. (better be strong on defense, and very anti illegal immigration)

Just curious, but how do you plan to pay for battleships, carrier groups, artillery, stealth bombers/fighters, rifles and grenades along with the men and women to operate those machines without either taxes or bonds?

SgtDinosaur
02-07-2011, 4:54 PM
I would never vote for an anti-2A politician no matter what. I would rather have choices between pro-2A politicians.

kcbrown
02-07-2011, 4:59 PM
More importantly, says Ladd Everitt of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, they have cultivated a committed corps of "single-issue voters" — people who reliably trek to the polls to cast a ballot for the candidate who will go to the mat for their right to bear arms. "We have not been able, to the degree we need, to develop a single-issue public-safety vote," Everitt says. "That is our challenge."

That's funny, seems to me the single-issue public-safety vote has already been developed for you, Mr. Everitt. That public-safety vote is the right to keep and bear arms vote. The stronger and more respected our right to keep and bear arms, the safer the public will be from the evildoers in our midst who want to do harm to us and ours.

pointedstick
02-07-2011, 5:35 PM

According to Oaklander's survey, about 40% of us are Libertarian or liberal. That's a pretty sizable bunch of people who would disagree with those sentiments.