PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding a gun purchase.

PandaLuv
02-06-2011, 9:42 AM
Hey guys, I wasn't sure if this is the right forum but I have two questions about purchasing a fire arm. I put a layaway for a firearm at the local gunshop.
The owner told me that I need the mortgage agreement, license and car registration with the current date in order to have the gun.
A fellow calgunner told me I can get the mortgage agreement at my bank, is that valid?
Also, I changed my address for my DL and Car Registration online.The website didn't tell me that they will be sending me anything in the mail. All they said was "write the new address on the back of your DL". So when it comes to the paper work, will this be valid as well?

Tripper
02-06-2011, 9:46 AM
go down to local DMV and ask that one, gun shop basically needs proof of residense, a mortgage agreement suffices that one, a utililty bill usually works too. it sounds like you have some of those items that conflict.

Tripper

jtmkinsd
02-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Hey guys, I wasn't sure if this is the right forum but I have two questions about purchasing a fire arm. I put a layaway for a firearm at the local gunshop.
The owner told me that I need the mortgage agreement, license and car registration with the current date in order to have the gun.
A fellow calgunner told me I can get the mortgage agreement at my bank, is that valid?
Also, I changed my address for my DL and Car Registration online.The website didn't tell me that they will be sending me anything in the mail. All they said was "write the new address on the back of your DL". So when it comes to the paper work, will this be valid as well?

If your address on your license is not current, you will need something from a government agency which has your correct address on it. Voter registration card, DMV registration, government owned utility bill, property tax bill. Any one of these will all suffice for the Federal and State proof of residency requirement. Some require "extra" documentation for the CA proof of residency requirement, but really just one proof of residency document from a government agency can satisfy both requirements.

PandaLuv
02-06-2011, 10:56 AM
So if I have the Mortgage agreement I don't really need the car registration with my address on it as long it's in dmv's database?

jtmkinsd
02-06-2011, 11:04 AM
So if I have the Mortgage agreement I don't really need the car registration with my address on it as long it's in dmv's database?

Your mortgage agreement is not from a government agency. If the address on your license is not where you currently reside you must provide something from a government agency that has your current address on it for line 20b of the 4473. That document can also satisfy the CA requirement for "proof of residency" on handgun purchases.

CHS
02-06-2011, 11:28 AM
There are two factors here:

Federal and State.

Federal:
If your license doesn't have your current address on it, you are required to show GOVERNMENT-issued paperwork that shows your current address. A vehicle registration will handle this. Or a tax document.

State:
If you're buying a handgun you must show ADDITIONAL proof of residency. The state will accept things like utility bills and mortgage agreements.

So if you are showing a mortgage agreement in order to prove residence for California (for a handgun), you must still show something government-issued to prove residence to the feds for your ID not having your current address on it.

PandaLuv
02-06-2011, 11:53 AM
oh,ok that makes sense.

But sorry for my questions again, since I have changed my license and ca registration, should I be getting anything in the mail showing that I changed the address?
(It's very unclear to me because the the dmv website said "the address has been updated, write your new address on the back of your DL")

If I don't get anything in the mail, what should I ask for at the DMV?

jtmkinsd
02-06-2011, 12:28 PM
oh,ok that makes sense.

But sorry for my questions again, since I have changed my license and ca registration, should I be getting anything in the mail showing that I changed the address?
(It's very unclear to me because the the dmv website said "the address has been updated, write your new address on the back of your DL")

If I don't get anything in the mail, what should I ask for at the DMV?

DMV will not send you anything. They will simply update your file, and when your new registration is due, then you will get a new one with the updated address.

PandaLuv
02-06-2011, 12:34 PM
DMV will not send you anything. They will simply update your file, and when your new registration is due, then you will get a new one with the updated address.

Thanks for all the answers again, but the gun store is asking for the car registration. So am I screwed then until I get my new registration? Or will it show that I changed the address when they run the paperwork to buy my handgun?

jtmkinsd
02-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all the answers again, but the gun store is asking for the car registration. So am I screwed then until I get my new registration? Or will it show that I changed the address when they run the paperwork to buy my handgun?

The registration also has the incorrect address I'm assuming. Listen you only have a few options here, and it all depends on what your particular store tells you they want, not what you get from a web forum. So your questions are better directed to those whom you will be personally dealing with. I would say the easiest thing to do is go to your local registrar of voters, and re-register with your new address, and they will give you government documentation you can use.

CHS
02-06-2011, 1:19 PM

Just go to the DMV or AAA and have them print out a new copy with your current address on it.

Done and Done.

AAA's are everywhere and you won't have to deal with long DMV lines. If you own a car you really should be a member.

FS00008
02-06-2011, 11:54 PM
+1. The DROS system will only read what is on your Driver's License stripe, not what is in the DMV records. If it gets submitted to the DOJ with the old address and the DMV is the new address then there it will kick back with a "DMV MISMATCH" error.