PDA

View Full Version : Ranges near LA for beginner "experience" days?

britboy
02-06-2011, 7:12 AM
Hi guys - slightly odd question perhaps, but I'm a Brit who's going to be on holiday in LA for a few days later this month and one of the things I would love to do while I'm there is visit a range where I can try my hand at shooting a variety of firearms.

I've had a pretty good look through the forums and while there are lots of links to different ranges, the focus seems to be on places where you bring your own hardware; I'm really looking for somewhere I can just turn up and do some (very heavily supervised) target shooting with a range of firearms, preferably a good interesting mix of pistol, rifle, semi-auto, auto etc.

I used to shoot regularly with .22 rifles, and some slightly larger bore from time to time, in my school cadet corps and I've done some clay pigeon shooting since then too on stag weekends. So I'm not a complete novice, but I've never shot pistol or fully automatic before and would love to give both a go if possible.

I don't know how feasible this is, or if CA gun laws even allow foreigners to turn up and hire weaponry on the spot, but I figured I'd ask - apologies in advance if this is completely naive of me.

I'll be driving south down the 395 to reach LA so anywhere along the way would be perfect, but anywhere within easy drive of the city itself would be fine too.

Thanks in anticipation,
BB

den888
02-06-2011, 8:04 AM
There are many ranges in Southern California that rent weapons. I believe that you would need to be accompanied by another adult to rent a weapon. I am not sure what other rules are in place. You should call the range you want to visit and inquire.

A range that rents firearms is Insight Range in Artesia and there are many others.

http://www.insightrangeinc.com/

Have fun! My wife has two cousins in the UK who may visit us this year. One of them is also very much interested in shooting firearms at a range since it is very hard to own handguns in the UK.

Wicked Pete
02-06-2011, 8:17 AM
Welcome britboy.

My first wife was from London. When we split, I missed the Yorshire Pudding, Roast Beef and Wide Beans (Sundays), that HER MOTHER made. Bloody hell!

Dr Rockso
02-06-2011, 8:54 AM
Most outdoor ranges are set up for people to bring their own firearms, indoor ranges tend to be attached to shops so they usually have guns for rent. Typically you have to bring another person with you, or bring another gun you already own, in order to rent firearms (prevention of gun-rental suicides).

Every rental range in the area will rent handguns, but no full-autos in California. Very few ranges in the US rent full-autos, and they're mostly the tourist-oriented ones in Vegas and such. Unlike what some of the British media might imply, full-autos are very heavily regulated in the US and even in states where you can own them (not California) they cost as much as a NEW car and involve months of paperwork.

britboy
02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys, this is all useful info. The "bring a buddy" rule may be a deal-breaker as I'm travelling alone this trip, but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the Vegas tip - interestingly, if you type "shoot mac" into Google Instant, it immediately proposes "shoot machine guns in las vegas", so I guess vegas must be more famous for this than I had realised... : )

r0dent
02-06-2011, 1:30 PM
Why don't you post what time and day you will be wanting to shoot in LA... then maybe some friendly Calgunner can hook up with you and go to the range together

britboy
02-06-2011, 2:53 PM
Why don't you post what time and day you will be wanting to shoot in LA... then maybe some friendly Calgunner can hook up with you and go to the range together
That's a fine idea. It'll probably be Feb 20th but that's not set in stone, so I'll report back if I get my schedule sorted.

gratefuldog
02-06-2011, 3:48 PM
You'll probably drive right by Oak Tree ( http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/ ) on your way into L.A. They have a pretty large assortment of hardware available for rent. And, for one rental fee, you can shoot several different guns.

CSACANNONEER
02-06-2011, 4:06 PM
That's a fine idea. It'll probably be Feb 20th but that's not set in stone, so I'll report back if I get my schedule sorted.

Damn it! I'm planning to be at an AK build party in the central valley that weekend. Otherwise, I have a variety of firearms ranging from muzzleloaders to beltfeds and 50BMG single shot rifles that I'd be willing to let you shoot. If you change your schedual, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can arrange to take a day off work.

sw99
02-06-2011, 7:15 PM
you may need to show a Californian driver license - or at least a US drivers license - to rent a range-owner gun in California.

RoundEye
02-06-2011, 8:07 PM
I second Vegas especially if you want to take a couple of rounds full auto. I'm in the SFV, and depending on the date\time, I'd be willing to meet up at a local range.

only10x
02-06-2011, 9:03 PM
depending on the day I might be free. I have some testing that needs to be done on a rifle I could take out afew other toys so you can try out.

MTD
02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
395 South will terminated at around I-15 which is quite away from LA; you're closer to San Bernardino area at I-15 and 395. If you have the name of the city where you are planning to stop/stay, we'll take turn to host you at various ranges in SoCal.

chaoticmind
02-07-2011, 6:45 PM
Every rental range in the area will rent handguns, but no full-autos in California.

The Academy in Palm Desert just got their auto weapons permit. (http://www.theacademy.us.com/index.php/blog/56-full-auto-rentals-at-the-academy):D

slo_guy
02-08-2011, 4:43 PM
If you will be near or staying near Downtown LA, you can go to the LA Gun Club. They have a huge assortment of guns to rent from. They may not have the nicest looking range, and sometimes the pulleys are broken, but you can shoot pistols, rifles and shotguns there.

Ura
02-08-2011, 7:47 PM
Just for your information

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nonimmigrant-aliens.html#rental-qualifications

+

Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives (ATF). This is in response to your email in
which you inquired about loan and/or rent of firearms, including to
nonimmigrant aliens.

A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for
temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have
reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or
possessing firearms under Federal law. [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5),
922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30] Additional information concerning
unlicensed persons is available at:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html .

Nonimmigrant aliens generally are prohibited from possessing or
receiving firearms and ammunition in the United States. There are
exceptions to this general prohibition.

The exceptions are as follows:
1. nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid (unexpired) hunting
license or permit lawfully issued by a State in the United States;
2. nonimmigrant aliens entering the United States to participate in
a competitive target shooting event or to display firearms at a sports
or hunting
trade show sponsored by a national, State, or local firearms trade
organization devoted to the collection, competitive use or other
sporting use of
firearms;
3. certain diplomats, if the firearms are for official duties;
4. officials of foreign governments, if the firearms are for
official duties, or distinguished foreign visitors so designated by the
U.S. State
Department;
5. foreign law enforcement officers of friendly foreign governments
entering the United States on official law enforcement business; and
6. persons who have received a waiver from the prohibition from the
U.S. Attorney General.

In addition, ATF does not have any jurisdiction over State laws. You
should forward all inquiries as to State law to your State Attorney
General's Office. They will be able to answer any questions regarding
firearms laws in your state. A list is available online at
http://www.naag.org . Also, we suggest that you seek private legal
counsel.

Should you have additional questions, please contact your local ATF
office. A listing of ATF office phone numbers can be found at:
http://www.atf.gov/field .

Regards,

Firearms Industry Programs Branch, ATF

Zorrm
02-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Damn it! I'm planning to be at an AK build party in the central valley that weekend. Otherwise, I have a variety of firearms ranging from muzzleloaders to beltfeds and 50BMG single shot rifles that I'd be willing to let you shoot. If you change your schedual, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can arrange to take a day off work.

This is money, and I would definitely take him up on this and adjust your schedule one way or the other :)