PDA

View Full Version : transporting handgun

medicdude
02-06-2011, 2:24 AM
just to confirm..
i have been searching here and google with most searches pertaining to concealed in a vehicle. i have been working in a bad part of the bay area lately and at early morning and late night hours. what im wondering is this..

a simple yes or no, with maybe some citation would be great..

can i transport a handgun, on the passenger seat, in plain view, unloaded, with the slide locked back, with loaded magazines on the same seat?

thanks.

ggod408
02-06-2011, 3:53 AM
Must be transported in a locked container. Mags. Can be loaded but not inserted in the handgun nor a round in the chamber. Loaded mags can be inside the Locked container along with the handgun. Good luck.

Purple K
02-06-2011, 4:06 AM
If you choose your route very carefully and never drive thru a GFSZ (school zone), you can do what you described. If not, it must be as ggod stated. Research LUCC.

medicdude
02-06-2011, 4:43 AM
Okay , so this would be no different than open carry with two loaded mags on my belt right. Thanks.

Purple K
02-06-2011, 5:15 AM
LUCC is Locked Unloaded Concealled Carry. It consists of taking a dayplanner, briefcase, fannypack or messenger bag and putting a lock on one compartment. I did it for a year before I got my CCW.

medicdude
02-06-2011, 7:02 AM
Does the lock Have to be the compartment the gun is in? Lol. But my question remains, unloaded on the seat in plain view, slide locked back with loaded mags sitting next to it.

medicdude
02-06-2011, 7:03 AM
Ps. I need to just get my ccw.

CHS
02-06-2011, 9:05 AM
But my question remains, unloaded on the seat in plain view, slide locked back with loaded mags sitting next to it.

Legal. That's just UOC. Doesn't matter that you're in a car versus walking around.

Only problem is school zones.

jtmkinsd
02-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Legal. That's just UOC. Doesn't matter that you're in a car versus walking around.

Only problem is school zones.

+1

And they are everywhere, unless you are out in the middle of nowhere.

medicdude
02-06-2011, 5:04 PM
What its adjacent to a freeway I'm travelling on. If I get pulled over in that area vs out of that area but had previously been thru vs doesn't matter.

GrizzlyGuy
02-06-2011, 5:26 PM
What its adjacent to a freeway I'm travelling on. If I get pulled over in that area vs out of that area but had previously been thru vs doesn't matter.

It is still a violation of the GFSZ law (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones#Law_2) if you are on a freeway and travel through a school zone. It might not be a violation if you didn't know it was there and reasonably couldn't have known (good luck beating the charge if you rely on that):

Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the
person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone...

It's best to lock the gun in a case unless you are sure there are no GFSZs along your route.

killathrilla
02-06-2011, 5:29 PM
Dude....
Put it in a locked container and call it a day....why even take the chance

medicdude
02-06-2011, 7:15 PM
Double post.

medicdude
02-06-2011, 7:26 PM
So lucc is ok in gfsz?

Librarian
02-06-2011, 8:26 PM
So lucc is ok in gfsz?

Go forth and read ... http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones

Fate
02-07-2011, 9:58 AM
Must be transported in a locked container. Mags. Can be loaded but not inserted in the handgun nor a round in the chamber. Loaded mags can be inside the Locked container along with the handgun. Good luck.
^^ Nope.

Try again, ggod408.

As bdsmchs stated, the OP would be legal (outside of GFSZ's or Federal Property (like Post Office parking lots, etc).

Kenm
02-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I have a SUV and therefore no trunk to lock my handguns in when going to the range. lWhat do you use as a locked container? Thanks

Librarian
02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Anything that will completely enclose the handgun and can be locked.

Hard case, soft case, metal, plastic, cheap, expensive - all good. There are no standards in law.

Just don't put yourself in the situation where anyone might look at your choice and ask "Do you really think that's secure?" and in honesty you hem and haw and look away embarrassed. Buy something so that if you are asked, you can answer "Yes, I think it is."

Kenm
02-08-2011, 1:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. I just ordered a quad carrying case from Midway.