View Full Version : Bow for 14 yr-old Daughter

02-05-2011, 10:15 PM

My 14 yr-old daughter recently passed the hunter safety course and wants to bow hunt. We went to Bass Pro Shop today and she is excited as are the rest of the kids.

Which bow do you recommend? Keep in mind my budget is limited and I have a 15 yr-old daughter and 16 yr-old son that want to 'share' the bow as well.

We looked at some of the Diamond compound bows - one had a wide adjustment range - from I think around 30 lbs or so to 60 or 70 lbs - thought that may be a good one but need to make sure.

I am going to do some more research - obviously I am not an experienced bow hunter so we are all trying to figure this out. She wanted a recurve initially but I think we will get a compound.

02-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Take a look at the Bear Apprentice...15-27 draw length with 20-50lbs range...with no bow press.

02-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Congrats to the kids for graduating the Hunter Safety.

The Diamond Edge is a really good bow. There is also a good Hoyt bow that 'grow's' with a kid. the Genesis adjusts dynamically 'so to speak' over a very drastic range of draw lengths. I would advise you visit your local Bow shop. Bass Pro absolutely has good selections, however, once you buy there, and you need something done, then take it to the bow shop down the street, its going to cost you to have anything done to 'fit' your kids. Just check Bass Pro, get an idea from the selection of what you want, then go to the Bow shop to make your purchase, they may even let you try out a few, if you get one from Bass, I dont think they will make adjustments to your bow for fitting your kids. Our local shop has classes on saturday and gives you a chance to try out at least the Genesis bow, and a recurve or two even.
San Jose isnt far, if you'd like a couple of specific Bow Pro shops, just PM me, and I can give you at least 3 recommendations that arent too much travel, oh, especially dont mail order, if your not experienced in that kind of thing its impossible to know the draw length youll need. the only bow I know of that would accomodate multiple draw lengths (to accomodate 2 kids at the same time) with no other adjustment would be the genesis bow (i think around 150$). The Hoyt I think is at a price point that you might be able to buy 2 for less than 500. same for the Diamond Edge, both come with sights and all for that price.

02-05-2011, 10:39 PM
The Bear apprentice, and even the others I had mentioned do not need a bow press to adjust draw weight. Draw weight on most of them are adjusted with an allen wrench at the limbs. the Draw length on the other hand, I am pretty sure needs a press, excepting the Genesis bow. the thing to keep in mind for your kids sharing is first the draw length, then the draw weight, if they both just happen to have the same draw length, they would likely need differing weights.

I went through the same thing with my kids, 2 sets of them at 2 years apart, they never could use the same bow, just too much difference on the draw lengths for them.

now, after about 6 years of it, everyone has at least 2 bows each, compound and recurve.

once you get decided on a bow, make sure to attend the annual bug shoot at Mt Madonna

02-06-2011, 9:10 PM
Thanks for all of the input.

I am going to go with the Diamond Razor Edge package it looks like. She can't quite handle more than 30 lbs. draw weight right now so it will be a good start.

Any suggestions on a good starting arrow?

02-08-2011, 5:21 PM
Thanks for all of the input.

I am going to go with the Diamond Razor Edge package it looks like. She can't quite handle more than 30 lbs. draw weight right now so it will be a good start.

Any suggestions on a good starting arrow?

I would recommend a full recurve, around 30-35 Lbs. at 27" draw.
I been shooting since I was 10 years old. I still have my original bow also.
Bow shooters are now going back to the recurve bow because there's less
to go wrong with them and its more sporting to shoot.
You can kill a deer with a 30# bow to.

My daughter stated using by bow to she stated at 14 years old.
I use wood arrows, but aluminum works well also.
I make my own stuff to.
We did a lot of this back in the 1950's.
Archery was big back then.
Good luck ! Google Recurve bows ! Robin47

02-08-2011, 7:50 PM
If your interested in a used bow i have been thinking of selling my old bow. Its a great first bow set up. Martin cougar bow 200$ you get 6 beman carbon arrows A wrist release that was 100$ on its owen, and soft case. Send me a pm if your interested ill send pics through email.
Thanks Rob

02-08-2011, 8:13 PM
There is a Mission Craze. Its around 200 and adjusts from 15 to 70 lbs and is made by Mathews. They are pretty neat and come in boy and girl colors. There is also the PSE wildfire that is pretty adjustable.