PDA

View Full Version : hunter education safety card lost do i to retake?

crf50hugo
02-05-2011, 8:50 PM
I lost my hunter education safety card do I have remake or can I get another without taking test over. Thanks for information.

brantly04
02-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Call and get a new card I did. The state has it on file before a certain year.

Tripper
02-05-2011, 10:35 PM
in the last 10 to 15 years, they have really 90-95% chance of having the record on file, 15 to 20 years, probably 80-85% chance, beyond 20 years, its maybe 20% chance of having it on file, in which case you hope you remember at least where exactly you did it, and even better the name of the person you took it with (if that person is still around), then that person 'might' be able to replace your card.

I can help you out if you PM me your full name and DOB, last 4 of social and when you took the course.

Tripper

jwest
02-05-2011, 10:48 PM
To the OP:

Like what is mentioned above - if you've purchased a hunting license since you took HSC you're in the 'system'. Sounds like Tripper above has you covered.

Good Luck,
John

Tripper
02-06-2011, 1:58 AM
prior license only covers you in-state, other states dont accept prior license as proof of Hunters Safety.
How that matters you might ask
If you are Hunting Only in CA, you can, show a prior years license, or simply sign a waiver.
If you are hunting Out of State, You MUST show them your Hunter Safety Certificate, some 'other states' keep very good records of your card once they see it, and you probably wont have to show them again.

at best, you obtain a replacement card.
at worst, you can take a 4-hour home study course, and have a brand new one to lose/misplace. :)

Main thing is, get it done now while your thinking about it, and dont wait till the last minute when you need it.

Tripper

duckman1
02-06-2011, 8:21 AM
Good advice.

jm13690
02-06-2011, 9:11 AM
I dont know if you are in CA, but if you are the new 2011 hunting licenses all you need is your drivers license. When I was getting my Ducks stamp at Big 5 they just ran my license through a new machine, and printed out a receipt. That receipt had all my information on it including Hunting license number, plus there was even a check box that said hunter education.

So to tell you the truth as long as you have an old hunting license thats proof enough. And with the new licenses having all the infor printed out you will be safe either way.

Sky_DiveR
02-06-2011, 9:46 PM
What if you took your HSC over 30 years ago???

professionalcoyotehunter
02-07-2011, 8:24 AM
Just sign the affidavit and get it over with.

Tripper
02-07-2011, 8:40 AM
@jm13690, you are correct, as long as your in CA, but Colorado for instance will NOT accept a prior CA license as proof of Hunter Safety, you MUST have the card to show out of state the first time. a number of other states do the same.
In, CA a prior license proves that you either have shown a Hunter Safety at some point, or have signed an affidavit as having the class. You have to do one or the other to get a license in CA. the fact that CA allows an affidavit to be signed is why some other states dont allow a prior license as proof, (unless its a prior license from their own state). If you dont plan on out of state yes, an affidavit is an option, its not for out of state though. I think its CO that actually maintains pretty good records of CA Hunter Safety Certs that have been shown to them, so, if you've lost yours and have shown it in the past to another state, that might be an avenue to get a copy, if DFG doesnt have record.

@Sky Diver, over 30 years ago, its unlikely DFG will have a record, there is maybe a 1% chance that you can get a replacement, again, if your only hunting in CA, sign the affidavit, if you plan on going out of state, schedule yourself for the Home-Study (4-hour) course.

Tripper

guns4life
02-07-2011, 8:49 AM
I was able to find a copy of my card 16 years after I took the test and lost the original. I had never needed the license up until that point so I never did anything more than take the 10 hour course @ raahauges, they still had my info on file and got me a replacement immediately.

AAShooter
02-07-2011, 8:54 AM
What if you took your HSC over 30 years ago???

Your best bet is to try to find the instructor or contact the place where you took the training. During that time the instructors were responsible for maintaining records. They often would pass them along to the next instructors so you might want to contact a few in the area and see if anyone know where the records were.

Otherwise, it is off to another class. You will be amazed at what is covered in the class these days compared to 30 years ago.

Tripper
02-07-2011, 8:55 AM
@guns4life
Make sure DFG has a record of yours for future reference, send them a copy of what you have if necessary. Some Instructors do keep records of the name and Certificate number, just dont count on an instructor to be around forever.
Thats the biggest problem with those that took the course 30 years ago, most of the instructors just arent around anymore.

Tripper

guns4life
02-07-2011, 9:21 AM
@guns4life
Make sure DFG has a record of yours for future reference, send them a copy of what you have if necessary. Some Instructors do keep records of the name and Certificate number, just dont count on an instructor to be around forever.
Thats the biggest problem with those that took the course 30 years ago, most of the instructors just arent around anymore.

Tripper

Good advice, thank you.

Sky_DiveR
02-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I'd love to hunt out of KA but alas....

I guess if that ever happens, I'd have to register for a class. If I recall, they just issued a signed certificate but they weren't numbered so it probably wouldn't count anyways. Good to know info tho.

choprzrul
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
When I moved here from Nebraska, I had to go through requesting a new card from the State of Nebraska. 2 weeks later I had a new one in the mail. I took that course back in the mid 70's. I was amazed.