PDA

View Full Version : Got my Crossbreed Supertuck In - Pictures with SA 1911

iareConfusE
02-05-2011, 7:58 PM
So, I've been playing around with the positioning of the holster around the right side of my body, as well as with the different levels of cant that the holster allows adjustability for. I think I like it best the way it came to me, with both screws in the second from the bottom holes.

Where does everyone wear their holster on their body? I feel like it's most comfortable at around the 4-5 o clock position, but with the 1911, it puts a lot of weight on the rear and tugs really tight at the front of my jeans. The applied pressure on my lower abdomen actually causes abdominal pain (internally, like a stomach ache might feel). Is there any way to help with the effects of a 4 pound gun hanging from one side of your pants? I think I may need to buy a smaller 1911 :43:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/iareconfuse/DSC02090.jpg

RollingCode3
02-05-2011, 8:00 PM
HOLY Batman.... very nice there. I wear mine around 3:30 to 4:00

Rugerdaddy
02-05-2011, 8:01 PM
HOLY Batman.... very nice there. I wear mine around 3:30 to 4:00

I wear mine ALL day! :D

thearmedrebel
02-05-2011, 8:17 PM
Sounds like you could use a stiffer belt. I've carried my 1911 all day in a home-made hybrid holster (kydex and leather modeled after the Supertuck) without issue. Carry mine around 4-5 o'clock.

Robert

iareConfusE
02-05-2011, 8:41 PM
I purchased a slightly stiffer and wider belt from 5.11 Tactical, but it still isn't one of those really thick/stiff belts. I'm not sure stiffness would help in my situation either, as the problem isn't that the holster is wiggling around inside or folding the top of my pants over or anything, it's just that the weight of the gun is causing one side to sag way more than the other, even if I cinch up the belt pretty tight, up to the point that it begins to hurt what I think is my intestines.

den888
02-05-2011, 8:52 PM
Looks great!

Heiko
02-05-2011, 8:55 PM
I wear mine around the 4:00 position. I'm not sure I understand what is causing your discomfort. Is it that you have to cinch up your belt so tight it puts pressure on your guts? Obviously that is wrong. Your 1911 is a big gun and has a lot of weight to it so it's going to pull down. I do think that a better belt will help distribute the weight better. For me, positioning at 4:00 allows the gun to sort of sit on my hip which feels like it offers more support. Also, how high or low you wear your pants makes a difference.

I carry my SA Loaded Champion LW in a Milt Sparks SS II usually on a 5.11 leather belt and it's fine. I know it's about a half pound lighter than your 1911 but I can go all day with that thing IWB. Maybe I'm just used to it but I don't find much discomfort.

iareConfusE
02-05-2011, 9:01 PM
I wear mine around the 4:00 position. I'm not sure I understand what is causing your discomfort. Is it that you have to cinch up your belt so tight it puts pressure on your guts? Obviously that is wrong. Your 1911 is a big gun and has a lot of weight to it so it's going to pull down. I do think that a better belt will help distribute the weight better. For me, positioning at 4:00 allows the gun to sort of sit on my hip which feels like it offers more support. Also, how high or low you wear your pants makes a difference.

I carry my SA Loaded Champion LW in a Milt Sparks SS II usually on a 5.11 leather belt and it's fine. I know it's about a half pound lighter than your 1911 but I can go all day with that thing IWB. Maybe I'm just used to it but I don't find much discomfort.

Yeah, basically I'm having to cinch up my belt so tight that it's crushing my innards. I don't sag my pants, I wear them where they rest at the top of my hips, with a belt to keep them there.

Darklyte27
02-05-2011, 9:06 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=390201

Heiko
02-05-2011, 9:07 PM
Yeah, basically I'm having to cinch up my belt so tight that it's crushing my innards. I don't sag my pants, I wear them where they rest at the top of my hips, with a belt to keep them there.

No saggin' or baggin' here either. I wonder if your Supertuck just needs to be broken in and formed to your body. It's a pretty big piece of stiff leather and I'd imagine that when new, it doesn't conform too well.

Have you tried how if feels OWB?

iareConfusE
02-05-2011, 9:11 PM
No saggin' or baggin' here either. I wonder if your Supertuck just needs to be broken in and formed to your body. It's a pretty big piece of stiff leather and I'd imagine that when new, it doesn't conform too well.

Have you tried how if feels OWB?

I haven't tried the Supertuck OWB, but I have a Blackhawk Paddle holster that is OWB, and it feels about the same in terms of weight sagging that one particular side. I'm looking into a thicker leather belt right now :)

Sam
02-05-2011, 9:14 PM
Get a premium belt. Stiffness does help. I wear it at 3:30 so it rides on my hip. The weight is easier to carry there.

iareConfusE
02-05-2011, 9:19 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=390201

? What relevance does this thread have to the holster?

JanG
02-05-2011, 10:03 PM
I haven't tried the Supertuck OWB, but I have a Blackhawk Paddle holster that is OWB, and it feels about the same in terms of weight sagging that one particular side. I'm looking into a thicker leather belt right now :)

i have the same issue with my blackhawk paddle, but with the belt attachment, it's fine. i use a wilderness frequent flyer btw, might get their original sometime this year.

iareConfusE
02-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Welp, just ordered a much thicker 5.11 Tactical leather belt. Hopefully it'll help with the sagging issue I'm having. Looks like a nice everyday casual use belt as well.

After about not wearing the holster for about 2 hours now, I actually think my gut pain was from today's Carl's Jr. dinner, lol. The tight cinch from the belt probably exacerbated the pain.

$P-Ritch$
02-05-2011, 10:13 PM
I wear mine around 4:30. Once that leather breaks in (it'll take a while if you don't use oil or some sort of saddle soap) it will be much more comfortable around your waist. I had a similar issue when mine was new and I just had my normal thin leather belts. I would have to cinch it up real tight to the point where it felt like my hips were being crushed. So, I ordered some the of crossbreed carry belts and they are awesome. They are like a 1/4" thick of stiff leather are really support the weight of the holster/gun very well.

Black Majik
02-06-2011, 1:53 AM
Welp, just ordered a much thicker 5.11 Tactical leather belt. Hopefully it'll help with the sagging issue I'm having. Looks like a nice everyday casual use belt as well.

After about not wearing the holster for about 2 hours now, I actually think my gut pain was from today's Carl's Jr. dinner, lol. The tight cinch from the belt probably exacerbated the pain.

A good quality gunbelt makes the biggest difference at the end of the day, since it will help distribute the weight instead of putting the full weight on you. Especially for a 1911. I would also try a leather gun belt, such as one from The Beltman.

iareConfusE
02-14-2011, 8:08 PM
Just got my 5.11 Tactical leather belt in today. You guys were right, a stiffer, higher quality belt DOES make a HUGE difference. With the nylon belt my holster was sagging and dragging and it felt like I was carrying along unwanted weight. The new stiffer belt helps distribute the load, and doesn't sag or flex under weight as bad as the thin nylon did.

It also looks good for daily use.