PDA

View Full Version : Portantino's "sensible" gun law (more AB 144)

vantec08
02-05-2011, 5:57 AM
http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/site/node/8639

barfus maximus

Let us please include the bill identifier in the thread title
// Librarian

halifax
02-05-2011, 6:03 AM
Some folks are using the open carry issue as a political statement.

So, he admits it is a 1A issue also.

Imagine walking into your local coffee shop and running into a man or woman carrying a semi-automatic pistol. Or, imagine walking up to an ATM machine and seeing three armed people standing on the sidewalk. Would you call the police or do you run the other way and hope the guns aren’t loaded?

He left out the third option.

OleCuss
02-05-2011, 7:03 AM
You're right about his having framed it as a 1st Amendment issue. I think he may have opened the door really wide for court action on that basis should AB144 actually pass. Let me quote a little bit more:

Some folks are using the open carry issue as a political statement. Again, in the wake of the Arizona shooting, the last thing we need injected into politics are guns.

This is a pretty explicit statement from the one who drafted the bill that he wants to shut 2nd Amendment issues out of the political discussion and thus frames the bill has having as one of its goals the suppression of a particular form of free speech.

It's wonderful to have him on the record in this fashion.

yakmon
02-05-2011, 7:19 AM
here's my reply this bill isn't about protecting law abiding citizens from criminals. you'll notice that even the word "criminal" doesnt even show up in the press release. this man wants nothing more that for you people to not dare cross his little red line. oh, no. this law is the perfect example of a gun control law that has nothing to do with guns, it's about control of citizens. you shall sit down, stfu, and pay your taxes. this is the soylent green of legislation.8Sp-VFBbjpE

boogak
02-05-2011, 7:28 AM
here's my reply

i agree.

Jack L
02-05-2011, 7:32 AM
Is that a photo of him on the page? Something is wrong with that face trying to take my rights. Politicians live in a bubble and we don't. Our world is a very different place than the well protected and well healed world of the politicians. It's getting time for a massive blow back on the anti rhetoric.

The Million Man/Woman Pro Gun Rights March in Washington DC.

NoahH
02-05-2011, 7:58 AM
I still stand with the belief that if they cut off open carry, it will inadvertently add one more stepping stone towards CCW issuance for self-defense.

halifax
02-05-2011, 8:19 AM
I still stand with the belief that if they cut off open carry, it will inadvertently add one more stepping stone towards CCW issuance for self-defense.

Maybe, but why give up one right for another?

Dead*Reckoned
02-05-2011, 8:27 AM
Someone needs to tell them that just because they call it "sensible" doesn't mean it is. Example: Calling Pelosi pretty.

Jack L
02-05-2011, 8:46 AM

I think the anti's want to take almost every gun right from us myself. It's their mind set. They will take them all then also launch an assault on home defense, 2A.

The only hope of sanity is to get them out of office and restore gun rights. That may take decades unless Obama is thrown out of office next cycle. If he wins, it's going to be a gun owners nightmare.

tonelar
02-05-2011, 8:49 AM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/dumas.jpg
"Hey Anthony... if your hand covers your face you're a dümas."

hoffmang
02-05-2011, 9:41 AM
I do love this:

Imagine walking into your local coffee shop and running into a man or woman carrying a semi-automatic pistol. Or, imagine walking up to an ATM machine and seeing three armed people standing on the sidewalk.

"Howdy officer."

They never explain why a uniform (regardless of its legitimacy) somehow makes it ok.

-Gene

Pixs
02-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I do love this:

"Howdy officer."

They never explain why a uniform (regardless of its legitimacy) somehow makes it ok.

-Gene

LOL
+1; Yeah, I've wondered the same thing, the police are armed and dangerous(not in a bashing sense). Security guards seem to not bother people either and yet, many of them are poorly trained and not to be trusted with __________ . Fill in the blank from your own experience.
Have a nice day.
Pixs :TFH:

Gray Peterson
02-05-2011, 3:18 PM
My own posting:

http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/site/node/8639#comment-26651

Your comments are disgusting and not representative of the california gun rights movement in general. Most California gun owners that I know support freedom & liberty and therefor did NOT support Proposition 8 at all, and have been cheering it's strikedown in the federal court system.

I might also add that being against the rights of gun owners is not an exclusively Democratic party institution. Numerous sheriff's in urban areas are registered REPUBLICANS, not Democrats. Greg Ahern and previous sheriff Plummer of Alameda County were "law and order" Republicans. Same in Contra Costa County with David Christianson and previous sheriff were also conservative law & order Republicans. Same with Laurie Smith of Santa Clara County, same with William Gore in San Diego. You get my drift?

The people that most deny you your right to carry outside of your home, even with an extensive background checks, have been conservative law & order sheriff's.

wildhawker
02-05-2011, 3:59 PM
@OleCuss: though indicative, the court need not consider statements by the author outside of the legislative record. For another example, see King's statements on the Alaneda gun show ordinance in Nordyke's USF.

@Gray: you rock.

Gray Peterson
02-05-2011, 4:14 PM

Gun owners acting like hateful knuckleheads will always get called out by me.

OleCuss
02-05-2011, 4:35 PM
@OleCuss: though indicative, the court need not consider statements by the author outside of the legislative record. For another example, see King's statements on the Alaneda gun show ordinance in Nordyke's USF.

Thank you. I appreciate the clarification/education.

And I agree that Gray rocks.

GettoPhilosopher
02-05-2011, 4:44 PM

+1. :)

Dreaded Claymore
02-05-2011, 4:44 PM
I believe that reasonable Californians acknowledge that there’s a proper place for firearms. Walking down a grocery store aisle or sitting in a public park, a movie complex or the local gym with a gun strapped on is something that belongs on a Western movie set, not Main Street California. Do you really need to be armed to order a latte or buy a cheeseburger?

Yes, you do. You do need to be armed to order a latte or buy a cheeseburger, because there's a small but nonzero chance that while you're doing it, someone might attack you with deadly force.

I also notice that when you thought of Main Street California, you thought of lattes and cheeseburgers. This goes a long way toward explaining why you're so fat.

Edit: Victory to Gray!

HowardW56
02-05-2011, 5:34 PM

A well-written rebuke of that misinformed racist homophobe…

yakmon
02-05-2011, 6:57 PM
other than the guy grey lit off on, there's some well written comments on that page.

Zimz
02-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Hopefully he'll read the comments on his own article and GET A CLUE.

Walking down a grocery store aisle or sitting in a public park, a movie complex or the local gym with a gun strapped on is something that belongs on a Western movie set, not Main Street California. Do you really need to be armed to order a latte or buy a cheeseburger?

Do grocery stores have cash and pharmacies loaded with drugs? Do food vendors have cash registers?

pyro3k2
02-06-2011, 12:57 AM
what about us little people that work in the not so fun parts of town? clearly a law written by some one who has never walked down a dark ally downtown really late at night to get to their car.

CalBear
02-06-2011, 1:39 AM
I believe that reasonable Californians acknowledge that there’s a proper place for firearms. Walking down a grocery store aisle or sitting in a public park, a movie complex or the local gym with a gun strapped on is something that belongs on a Western movie set, not Main Street California. Do you really need to be armed to order a latte or buy a cheeseburger?
And yet police need to walk down "Main Street California," grocery aisles, public parks, movie complexes, etc. with a gun "strapped on?" If California is such a safe utopia, why do we need armed police protection in these places? Why can't these guys accept the fact that all people should be able to defend themselves, not just the cops.

Portantino has absolutely no respect for the right to self defense. It's not just about open carry, it's about any carry. The man is a statist who doesn't trust regular people with anything. He operates in life under the assumption that people will always do bad things when given any power.

Anthony J. Portantino (born January 29, 1961 in Long Branch, New Jersey)
Nuff said. Corruption is clearly drifting West.

oaklander
02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Time for an opposing editorial. See:
http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/site/?q=node/7

If they DON'T publish it - that in itself would be newsworthy.

-----------------
from Oaklander <>
to editor@californiaprogressreport.com

date Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:02 AM
subject http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/site/node/8639

Dear Sir or Madam,

Assemblymember Anthony Portantino recently wrote an editorial for CPR entitled "Banning the "Open Carry" of Hand Guns in California."

That article is located at: http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/site/node/8639.

Pursuant to your own writer's guidelines, which state "we invite freelance writers to submit news articles, investigative reports and fact-based opinion pieces," I would like to submit an editorial.

I have written more than 70 published articles on legal topics - a partial list is here:
http://[redacted]

My editorial will present a different view of the topic, and will be written in an entertaining, easy-to-read, and non-partisan style (I am neither a progressive, nor a conservative).

An example of a my recent writing is here:
http://thepioneeronline.com/editorials/2011/02/guns-gun-control-and-google/

Please let me know if you will accept my submission. I assume that there is no political "litmus test" required for authors who wish to submit items to you?

Thank you very much,
[Oaklander], Attorney at Law

--------------------------------

:D

hoffmang
02-06-2011, 1:14 PM
Time for an opposing editorial. See:
http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/site/?q=node/7

If they DON'T publish it - that in itself would be newsworthy.

You and Irwin can share a publication!

-Gene

oaklander
02-06-2011, 8:38 PM
I'm an excellent writer. Uh oh, fifteen minutes to Wapner.

You and Irwin can share a publication!

-Gene

wildhawker
02-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm an excellent writer. Uh oh, fifteen minutes to Wapner.

LOL!

oaklander
02-06-2011, 10:38 PM
There are only about twenty people in the entire state who would understand the two reasons why that is funny.

LOL!

Librarian
02-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Or if you've been on Calguns long enough to hear The Stories, you might know.

creekside
04-25-2011, 4:21 PM
LOL
+1; Yeah, I've wondered the same thing, the police are armed and dangerous(not in a bashing sense). Security guards seem to not bother people either and yet, many of them are poorly trained and not to be trusted with __________ . Fill in the blank from your own experience.
Have a nice day.

Security guards know that violating the rights of others tends to be followed by getting fired, if not arrested and prosecuted.

oni.dori
04-25-2011, 5:03 PM

I do agree with this; and personally, while I understand the concept behind and resoning for open carry, the ability to readily get a CCW is more important to me. After all, the whole open carry movement started out as a protest to the fact that we CAN'T get CCW's (for the most part) here in Cali. It was created to BOLSTER the efforts of reforming CCW laws here. It is essentially a statement of "Fine, if you won't let me attain a CCW, then you have to deal with my gun right in your face. Either way, I am NOT giving up my right and means to self protection". Although, in my perfect scenario, we would have the absolute right to freely choose either uninihibited CCW OR loaded open carry.

OleCuss
04-25-2011, 5:24 PM
Although, in my perfect scenario, we would have the absolute right to freely choose either uninihibited CCW OR loaded open carry.

It is my contention that you will get both. Well, maybe not totally uninhibited, but with minimal training and fees.

With folks like CGF around I figure it's almost inevitable. Don't count on having everything I anticipate in 3-5 years, but I consider it likely that you'll have both LOC and shall issue CCW within 7 years - and highly probable within 10. The courts can be slow, but some things can be anticipated.

HondaMasterTech
04-25-2011, 6:48 PM
Hoping that a step backward will result in two steps forward is dangerous thinking. Push to defeat every anti-gun/anti-self defense bill that is proposed before it becomes law. Once any of them become law they are very expensive and time consuming to reverse/remove. The current climate in California is a perfect example of this. How long has the fight to restore gun-rights been going on?

morfeeis
04-25-2011, 7:29 PM
LOL
Have a nice day.
is it bad that when i filled in the blank the first word was "anything"?