PDA

View Full Version : M1A Socom 16

Diesel95
02-04-2011, 9:46 PM
Hello everyone,

I am not from California but I will be living here for the next few years since I have been stationed here in the beautiful southern part of the state. I've had a crush on the M1A Socom 16 since it came out, and since I can't have my AR's here I find it to be a fitting solution to owning a tactical rifle in Cali. Does anyone know a place that would carry this rifle for sale near San Diego, LA, or anywhere in between. Also if anyone from California owns this rifle or it's brethren can you let me know about any restrictions. I am pretty certain I can only rock 10 round magazines, and cannot put a pistol grip stock on it. Other then that I'm pretty clueless with california laws. Thank you for your help gentlemen.

Frank

69Mach1
02-04-2011, 9:47 PM
Turners Outdoorsman, in Kerny Mesa.
http://www.turners.com/turners/stores.php

Mstrty
02-04-2011, 9:49 PM
Hello everyone,

I am not from California but I will be living here for the next few years since I have been stationed here in the beautiful southern part of the state. I've had a crush on the M1A Socom 16 since it came out, and since I can't have my AR's here I find it to be a fitting solution to owning a tactical rifle in Cali. Does anyone know a place that would carry this rifle for sale near San Diego, LA, or anywhere in between. Also if anyone from California owns this rifle or it's brethren can you let me know about any restrictions. I am pretty certain I can only rock 10 round magazines, and cannot put a pistol grip stock on it. Other then that I'm pretty clueless with california laws. Thank you for your help gentlemen.

Frank

Cant own an AR-15 in California?? Is there something I dont know about? This is news to me. <jk>

Welcome to the forum. Loads of great info here about keeping and shooting your AR's in this beautiful State.

Flow Chart. (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf)

69Mach1
02-04-2011, 9:50 PM
Welcome to the forum by the way. We can have AR's here.
http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

tonelar
02-04-2011, 9:57 PM
the Socom 16 is a great rifle. however if you go featureless or maglock you can have an AR here

killmime1234
02-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Let's not be too general when we tell this guy we can have ARs. I'd hate to have him get in trouble without knowing why.

Click here
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
for our flowchart that shows what's legal for ARs (or really any centerfire rifles.)

Diesel95
02-05-2011, 12:50 AM
I guess I shouldn't have said that I was clueless when it comes to California's laws. I know there are California legal AR's and that you can also permanently attach a magazine to the rifle making it legal to have within the state. But I don't plan on staying in California once I'm done serving and I consider my weapons as an investment. Well I'm not about to take an AR-15 and weld a 10 round magazine into its magwell. I'm sorry but a weapon like that isn't gonna get much use where I'm heading. This is why I love the Socom. It utilizes a traditional stock(for now), it's chambered in .308(big fan of that), and I can stuff a 20 round box into it once I take it out of the state with me. I do own an AR which I am very fond of but that rifle had to stay back in the mid west where I am from. I do appreciate you guys informing me of my options though, this is exactly why I came here for help.

jeffrice6
02-05-2011, 1:34 AM
Go the full 22"

TheSteelCollector
02-05-2011, 3:23 AM
Well I'm not about to take an AR-15 and weld a 10 round magazine into its magwell.

no permanent mods needed to the AR's all thats needed is a removable maglock like a bullet button etc. where the normal mag release goes and is undo able when you cruise back to the free states but its up to you. The Socom is cool but i would rather have a FAL or a 91 and spend the difference on upgrades

Falconis
02-05-2011, 5:58 AM
Use the heavier bullets for that rifle. Could be just me, but from what I read and shot, the heavier bullets seem to be more accurate the further out you go.

Diesel95
02-05-2011, 7:56 AM
Turners Outdoorsman, in Kerny Mesa.
http://www.turners.com/turners/stores.php

Thank you

Diesel95
02-05-2011, 8:00 AM
no permanent mods needed to the AR's all thats needed is a removable maglock like a bullet button etc. where the normal mag release goes and is undo able when you cruise back to the free states but its up to you. The Socom is cool but i would rather have a FAL or a 91 and spend the difference on upgrades

I have never heard of this modification. Now I am very interested. Can anyone here send me pictures of on installed, also what magazine capacity are you allowed to lock into the weapon? Can you use a 30 rounder or does it have to be a 10? Thank you for you insight, obviously you guys are pretty good when it comes to dealing with California's ridiculous weapon laws. haha

69Mach1
02-05-2011, 8:07 AM
It has to be a 10 round magazine if you use a magazine lock/"bullet button".

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfa7ck0iulWpOO8wSn6qteu4AdVKEUO Zv0MNoS7uBaqoDQfcNhNQ

Diesel95
02-05-2011, 8:34 AM
It has to be a 10 round magazine if you use a magazine lock/"bullet button".

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfa7ck0iulWpOO8wSn6qteu4AdVKEUO Zv0MNoS7uBaqoDQfcNhNQ

Hey thanks a lot brother, I knew nothing about such a modification. I may have to bring my AR out here after all! Still want that Socom 16 though haha.

69Mach1
02-05-2011, 8:36 AM
I'm not familiar with the part of the law where service members can register AW's here, but you may want to look into that.

r0dent
02-05-2011, 9:12 AM
hmm check it out.... Turner's is selling the exact rifle ur looking for this week on sale - $1699

http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

mikaarce
02-05-2011, 9:19 AM
I have never heard of this modification. Now I am very interested. Can anyone here send me pictures of on installed, also what magazine capacity are you allowed to lock into the weapon? Can you use a 30 rounder or does it have to be a 10? Thank you for you insight, obviously you guys are pretty good when it comes to dealing with California's ridiculous weapon laws. haha

you can use a 20 or 30 rounder but it should be blocked to accept just 10 rounds.

orion5457
02-05-2011, 9:45 AM
I have and M1a and an LRB M 25...Hands down they blow the doors off the ARs...And you dont have to neuter them to make them legal. maglock? who cares go with with the socom and be happy your leaving this place...I would not want to neuter an AR either...Leave it where it is safe from Ca stupid gun laws...If I lived in a free state I would not mind owning an AR but as I live in the nanny state there is no way I would, to much of a waste of time effort and energy...Especially when you can have an M1A...

arga
02-05-2011, 10:27 AM
It's mentioned in the flowchart but I'll mention it here again because I found it a little confusing. A flash hinderer is an evil feature on an M1A but a compensator (muzzle break) is not. The classic M14 bird cage flash hinderer can't be installed without a mag lock. The one that Springfield ships with the SOCOM 16 is OK.

chiselchst
02-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Welcome!

I have the SOCOM 16, and absolutely love it! The action is so robust & positive, it's just a freakin' blast to shoot. NEVER had any kind of hicup with it. Probably the funnest rifle I've ever shot!

That's a good price at Turners ($1,699). You'll like the SOCOM 16... I have an EOTech 512 on mine, but the sights are semi decent.

Good luck!

Diesel95
02-05-2011, 12:36 PM
I think Orion5457 and I see eye to eye on this matter but its awesome to get such good feedback from all of the guys who have had to put up with so many restrictions. This has been a great help. In fact I am on my way to the Turners just outside LA as we speak to see if I can lockdown that socom. Thanks again gentlemen, and please continue to speak ur minds. Atleast they havnt found a way to put restrictions on freedom of speech yet. Haha