PDA

View Full Version : Part Time Resident?

NSR500
09-05-2006, 3:07 PM
I can't seem to find a clear answer so I wanted to see if one of you knows off hand. Here is my situation...
I've lived in California since 1994 and I still work here. Because of all the drama around Gun Rights and my job activity sending me to Texas more and more, I bought a house there (05/06).
Right now I'm about 50/50 travelling between the 2 states. Will it complicate things if I buy "Non-Neutered" stuff in TX? I have no plans to ever bring it into California, but I read briefly about how the states have an agreement not to sell stuff that is not Ok in a persons resident state.
In case it matters... I live in an apartment when I'm in CA and I kept my CA DL.
Any insight would be appreciated! Lord knows I don't want to get the run around and misinformation we get when we try to get an answer from a Government Agency. ;) BTW... How do I declare a State as my resident state; if there is such a thing?
So the bottom line is:
1. I want to buy the Cool stuff for my Texas House when I am there.
2. I still want to buy OLL's and stuff so I don't get lonely when I'm in California, and so I can do my part in fighting the good fight here. :D

mailman
09-05-2006, 3:26 PM
if TX is anything like NV, i could not change my residencey/ ID without giving up my old CA licence. So I would buy an OLL here and keep it registered here, then I would give up my CA ID and get a Texas one, then u can buy a bunch of the TX goodies while keeping them in that state. Im not sure, but by doing this u could transport your OLL if u wanted to, or u could put the OLL in a CA family members name. not sure about all of this however.

NSR500
09-05-2006, 3:30 PM
Yeah... I thought about that approach. If I remember the verbage, it said something along the lines of "Neighboring States". Since TX is a few removed, I always wondered if that mattered?
I'm going to Google a bit more and post if I find anything. Maybe there are other folks in my same situation.

NSR500
09-05-2006, 3:56 PM
Here's what I found on the ATF site: http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/27cfr_part478.pdf

State of residence. The State in which
an individual resides. An individual resides
in a State if he or she is present in a State
with the intention of making a home in that
State. If an individual is on active duty as a
member of the Armed Forces, the individual's
State of residence is the State in
which his or her permanent duty station is
located. An alien who is legally in the
United States shall be considered to be a
resident of a State only if the alien is residing
in the State and has resided in the
State for a period of at least 90 days prior
to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm.
The following are examples that illustrate
this definition:

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and
maintains a home in State X and a home
in State Y. A resides in State X except for
weekends or the summer months of the
year and in State Y for the weekends or
the summer months of the year. During
the time that A actually resides in State X,
A is a resident of State X, and during the
time that A actually resides in State Y, A is
a resident of State Y.

So, I guess that gives me 1/2 of my answer :confused:
Now I just have to hear some real world experiences. I just don't want to feel like a dummy walking into a TX shop wanting to buy a DSA SA58 and have the shop owner say that I can only buy a Cali-Neutered Version :o

Python2
09-05-2006, 4:00 PM
NSR500,

If I were you, I will do the following:
1. Change your DL to Texas.
2. Register to vote in Texas.
3. Of course your Texas residence bill mailed to Texas
4. Your IRS Tax return should be in Texas.
5. Car registration in Texas.

After the above your primary home is now Texas. Second home is in Kalifornia, you lucky rat!:D

Dump1567
09-05-2006, 4:13 PM
I would also make Texas your main residence. (DL, car reg. vote, etc.). Buy whatever you want, and don't bring anything you know to be illegal into CA. This would prevent you from buying here, but is CA offering something Texas isn't?

The other option is get you TX I.D. card and see what the legal requirements are to buy guns in that State. As listed above, the ATF says you can buy guns in that State.

NSR500
09-05-2006, 4:28 PM
I'll probably do most of what you guys have suggested. I think the only thing that'll be a problem is the Car registration. I have a Truck in TX so when I fly in I am all set. If I register my CA car in TX I'm afraid the CHP might hassle me with the 90 day out of state BS since I leave that car here in CA.
As far as wanting to still buy stuff here... I still want to be able to exercise the right to purchase in CA just so I stay part of the movement here.
It also cuts down on the hassle of living between 2 states. I don't want to have to Check legality, neuter my stuff, send it over to CA, and then send it back to TX when season is over. :cool:

formerTexan
09-05-2006, 5:23 PM
Consider getting a permit to carry concealed in TX, as that can serve as an ID when buy firearms in TX. When I bought stuff in TX, they usually asked if I had a CHL/CCW permit.

M. Sage
09-05-2006, 5:35 PM
So I would buy an OLL here and keep it registered here, then I would give up my CA ID and get a Texas one, then u can buy a bunch of the TX goodies while keeping them in that state.

REGISTER an off-list rifle? CA doesn't have registration for rifles... :confused: If it's an off-list, it's not an "AW" so it doesn't need registration.

dwtt
09-05-2006, 9:06 PM
If TX will allow you to get a TX driver's license, then do so and make TX your home state. People, rich people, keep houses in more than one state and they are considered a resident of the state during the part of the year they live there. You can keep you CA driver's license and be a part time resident, this will allow you to buy guns in CA and keep them in CA. If I were in your situation, I would just give up my CA driver's license and make TX my home state. Your truck registration can be changed to TX and you can still drive it in CA with no problems, as long as you insure it for liability. You can insure it based on your TX address.
I was once looking into getting a NV residence as a part time resident and found out there's a lot of benefits in giving up my CA residency. For taxes, as a non citizen of CA, you will only pay CA income taxes on income you make in CA but no CA income taxes on your income made in TX. If you keep your CA residency, you pay CA income taxes on all of your income made in all states.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-05-2006, 9:33 PM
Why don't you just buy a bunch of Off List Lowers here in California, then take some to your Texas home and leave however many you want at your California home?

Then just built up the ones in Texas the way you want them and leave the California ones in California configuration. :confused:

-hanko
09-06-2006, 7:19 AM
People, rich people, keep houses in more than one state and they are considered a resident of the state during the part of the year they live there. You can keep you CA driver's license and be a part time resident, this will allow you to buy guns in CA and keep them in CA. If I were in your situation, I would just give up my CA driver's license and make TX my home state. Your truck registration can be changed to TX and you can still drive it in CA with no problems, as long as you insure it for liability. You can insure it based on your TX address.
I was once looking into getting a NV residence as a part time resident and found out there's a lot of benefits in giving up my CA residency. For taxes, as a non citizen of CA, you will only pay CA income taxes on income you make in CA but no CA income taxes on your income made in TX. If you keep your CA residency, you pay CA income taxes on all of your income made in all states.
Non-rich people can have two houses...just save your money:D

You cannot keep the prk license, but no big deal...having TX residency gets you a TX chl.

Your insurance company usually wants the truck insured in the state to which they send the insurance bill. If you're financing the truck, your bank probably wants the same thing.

The tax part is correct...why would you wish to keep the prk license??

-hanko

50ae
09-06-2006, 8:27 AM
Have the car that you drive in CA registered in CA but have the paperwork sent to TX. Register the truck you keep in TX with TX plates. CA will send the paperwork to your house in TX. Heck, I registered my VW in TX and they still sent me threatening letters to re-register my car in CA. I sent them back a nice letter saying I already had TX plates and to stop bothering me.

NSR500
09-06-2006, 9:54 AM
Thanks for the advise guys! As far as keeping my PRK license, the reason behind that is because my CA car is modified and draws some attention. I think it would be easier to deal with the cops if my Plates and DL License match for when I'm in CA. All my parts are CARB Certified but they do draw scrutiny.
In TX they're much more relaxed folk, but I do get the occasional ribbing when someone looks at my CA DL. All in good fun though because I understand the Brainwashed Californians give the rest of us a bad image.
So 50ae, are you in a similar situation to mine; having to split time between TX and CA?

50ae
09-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Kind of. I sold my half million dollar starter home in CA and bought a mini-mansion here in TX for cash and I'm contracting right now. I spent a month out in AL in April and I'll be spending 2 months from Oct to Dec in SoCal this year. Honestly, you're in a bit of a pickle as you are supposed to get your CA DL w/i 10 days of taking residence and your TX DL w/i 30 days of taking residence. Going back and forth I know that isn't going to happen but I'd say honestly that you'd be much better off taking the TX residence and not worry about the CA residence unless you're able to get a TX ID card and keep your CA DL.

NSR500
09-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Cool... I'll probably move most of what I can to TX status and give the TX ID a run. If they say no, I'll give up the CA DL.
I was sceptical at first, but TX has proven to be a good place and good move. The Laws are much more sensible, they actually punish criminals, the people are Great, and the Cost of Living is Fair. :D

In CA my 2 hobbies (Guns & Cars) draw the most scrutiny and nonsense laws. I swear if you don't stay informed for even a months time you can become a criminal overnight. :mad: