PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why Glocks are so popular (according to some leftist rag)

Callipygian
02-04-2011, 3:21 PM
A blog I frequent had an article recently where they explored the popularity Glock amongst criminals and gun "nuts" in light of the AZ shooting and previously the Vtech shooting. Among other reasons, they stated that the Glock was popular in the criminal community because the polygonal rifling in the barrels is difficult or impossible to ballistically fingerprint. Something inherent about polygonal rifling making it impossible to "fingerprint" the gun.
I'm finding that hard to believe but you never know... Anyone with real knowledge of whether this has any merit or not?

ChrisO
02-04-2011, 3:23 PM
BS. They don't pinpoint s*** with conventional rifling either. If anything if the slug is not mangled upon impact it polygonal riffling makes it easier to pinpoint.

XYZ
02-04-2011, 3:25 PM
A Glock is reliable, simple to use, corrosion resistant and inexpensive. Those are some of the major reasons why Glocks are so popular.

jammer2k
02-04-2011, 3:49 PM
Nope, its because they are made of porcelain and cannot be detected by metal detectors :cool:

11Bforme
02-04-2011, 3:50 PM
Gangsters dont like cleaning or taking care of their weapons and 50 cent raps about them.

Callipygian
02-04-2011, 3:51 PM
I was hoping to get a non emotional reply, from someone with some knowledge on the issue here's what wikipedia says about Glocks and polygonal rifling vis a vis ballistic finger printing forensics.
Here are short excerpts relevant to Glocks from Wikipedia:

Ballistic fingerprinting techniques are based on the principle that all firearms have inevitable variations due to marks left by the machining process, leaving shallow impressions in the metal which are rarely completely polished out. Also, normal wear and tear from use can cause each firearm to acquire distinct characteristics over time.

When a bullet is fired through a rifled barrel, the raised and lowered spirals of the rifling etch fine grooves called “striations” into the bullet. These can be matched with the barrel through which the bullet was fired. Examiners distinguish between striations common to all guns of a particular type (”class characteristics”) and those unique to a particular gun (”individual characteristics”).

The class characteristics depend upon the type of rifling in the barrel, which varies among manufacturers and models in number and shape of the grooves, twist rate, and direction. Colt, for example, traditionally uses a left-hand twist, while Smith and Wesson uses a right hand twist; a current production M16 rifle uses a 1 in 7 inch twist, while most civilian AR-15s and the current Mini-14 use a 1 in 9 inch twist. Marlin Firearms use a distinctive 16-groove Micro-Groove rifling in many of their firearms, while the M1903 Springfield rifle had two, four, or six grooves depending on the manufacturer. Polygonal rifling may leave striations that are difficult to match to a particular barrel.

- – -
Glock uses a polygonal shaped barrel, octagonal, where the flat sides of the octagon perform the rifling.
- – -

Polygons with a larger number of edges provide a better gas seal in relatively large diameter polygonally rifled bores. In the Glock pistol, for instance, octagonal rifling is used in the large diameter .45 ACP bore, which has a 11.23 mm (0.442 in) diameter, since it resembles a circle more closely than the hexagonal rifling used in smaller diameter bores.

Polygonal rifling prevents the forensic firearms examiner from microscopically measuring the width of land and groove impressions because the lands and grooves have a rounded profile instead of a well-defined rectangular profile. In the FBI GRC file, the land and groove widths for these firearms are listed as 0.000.

- – -
Bottom line: experts can’t tell for sure what gun fired what bullets during forensic investigations. Which may be the underlying hidden agenda of the cops, and assassins, for using Glocks, or polygonal barreled guns.

OC-Indian
02-04-2011, 3:52 PM
I like them because they are the undisputed "Killing Machines"

Callipygian
02-04-2011, 3:56 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-11/glock-pistol-sales-surge-in-aftermath-of-shooting-of-arizona-s-giffords.html

Looks like its true, glocks and any other polygonal, hammer forged barrels ARE difficult to impossible to uniquely "fingerprint" Wow.

jdberger
02-04-2011, 4:02 PM
Errr....(barnyard vulgarity).

Ballistic fingerprinting as as much of a fraud as "smart guns".

Besides, Glock isn't the only manufacturer who uses polygon rifling. Here are some others.

HK
Steyr
Noveske
Kahr

Why don't the "bad guys" stick with those brands? Because it's hard to rhyme "steyr"?

11Bforme
02-04-2011, 4:03 PM
This may be a dumb question but say they do figure it out the bullet was from a glock 40 does that narrow down their search to 10's of thousands of suspects?

Scratch705
02-04-2011, 4:04 PM
more reason to buy glock if it is true that it is hard to "fingerprint".

*insert evil smirk and hand rubbing*

jdberger
02-04-2011, 4:05 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-11/glock-pistol-sales-surge-in-aftermath-of-shooting-of-arizona-s-giffords.html

Looks like its true, glocks and any other polygonal, hammer forged barrels ARE difficult to impossible to uniquely "fingerprint" Wow.

Where was that nugget of information in the article you linked to?

Cali-Shooter
02-04-2011, 4:06 PM
I thought it was because Glocks are made in Germany and are made entirely of porcelain which allows it to go thru metal detectors unchecked, but it costs more than what you make in a month :rolleyes:

Callipygian
02-04-2011, 4:06 PM
I'm sorry i should have googled this more first, it is in fact an established characteristic of polygonal rifling in Glocks and other manufactureres (as I mentioned above) that makes forensic fingerprinting difficult. Glocktalk, thr and the firing line settled this years ago...

Callipygian
02-04-2011, 4:08 PM
more reason to buy glock if it is true that it is hard to "fingerprint".

*insert evil smirk and hand rubbing*
the flip side of that is some ******* DA can say the bullets outta YOUR Glocky match the one's in the dead guy...

five.five-six
02-04-2011, 4:08 PM
it's because they are cheep and "in vogue"

vf111
02-04-2011, 4:10 PM
Glocks are popular w/ the criminal elements because they are popular w/ law-abiding citizens & cops (more out there to steal) and because they have an "aura" about them due to popular culture (for good or bad).

Glocks are also generally cheaper than most popular and common handguns so when a nut job like the AZ or VT guy(s) go to buy a gun for their sick reasons, they don't spend as much money as say for a Sig or 1911....

$P-Ritch$
02-04-2011, 4:10 PM
I thought that even with conventional rifling, if you fired a couple of hundred shots after the sample bullet was taken then the fingerprint would not match.

davek8s
02-04-2011, 4:15 PM
i like glock because rappers rap about them. if its good enough for dre and snoop, its good enough for me. plus it gets more accurate if you shoot it sideways

Scratch705
02-04-2011, 4:21 PM
I thought that even with conventional rifling, if you fired a couple of hundred shots after the sample bullet was taken then the fingerprint would not match.

depends on the wear on the lands/grooves.

the wiki article states there are two things that they look at, class characteristics, which is used to identify if it is sig, hk, colt, etc since they cut their lands/grooves the same way.

then there is the individual characteristics, which is a mark that a specific gun may leave on the bullet as it travels down the barrel. things such as nicks, scrapes, etc due to anything from cleaning (or not cleaning), gunsmithing, that way you load the magazine, etc.

ninjawho?
02-04-2011, 5:34 PM
Easier to shoot holding sideways.....

jeff762
02-04-2011, 5:57 PM
i remember when glocks first came out. the hoopla was that they are invisible to airport xray machines. then someone decided to xray one, and lo and behold there's metal inside all that plastic.

appagohm
02-04-2011, 6:24 PM
I was never a glock fan, although it is still on my to buy list it was never a priority. Whenever i set out to buy a glock i come home with a sig, beretta, kahr, springfield armory xd, ruger, etc. Was never a fan of the grip angle but are very reliable guns not to say my sig is not but at about half the price it's steal.

I don't think criminals think about polygonal rifling, as most of the guns they have is not legal. They get what they can, meaning what is avaible, and since glock is so popular there is more of it out on the street. I hate how non law abiding people are getting their hands on weapons, but it's all the more reason for law abiding citizens to arm themselves, and please take responsibility for your weapons. if you going to have a trunk gun make sure you have a locked container bolted down to the frame of your trunk so even if someone were to break in they can't get it.

Also the games that are out these days help with the popularity of guns, Counter strike for example have glocks, h&k usp, m16(ar15), Ak47,mp5, uzi, FN five seven...etc. Which only make these guns more popular to the public.

45DAVID1
02-04-2011, 6:29 PM
I like glock because it ryhmes with C**K

longarmshortlegs
02-04-2011, 7:00 PM
Definitely not impossible. But you can read through on ballistic fingerprinting/rifiling here: http://www.firearmsid.com/A_bulletIDrifling.htm

The only thing remotely relevent to that comment is this:

Polygonal rifling takes on a shape that is sometimes referred to as "hills and valleys." This gradual transition prevents firearm examiners from measuring the individual rifling elements in a polygonal rifled barrel. Provided a bullet is in good condition, polygonal rifling impressions like those seen on the 40 caliber bullet below, are fairly easy to spot.

nick
02-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Errr....(barnyard vulgarity).

Ballistic fingerprinting as as much of a fraud as "smart guns".

Besides, Glock isn't the only manufacturer who uses polygon rifling. Here are some others.

HK
Steyr
Noveske
Kahr

Why don't the "bad guys" stick with those brands? Because it's hard to rhyme "steyr"?

Let's not forget the gangsters' weapon of choice - CZ-82.

jackandblood
02-04-2011, 10:08 PM
i want a glock because Krumbsnatcher mentions it in his songs. Alot of things rhyme with Glock.

dizzy
02-04-2011, 10:16 PM
did anyone notice the Glock striker leaves a rectangular imprint on the primer?
Have not seen this on my other pistols.

Don't forget to pick up your brass afterwards, LoL

jeffrice6
02-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Crap..... Stupid post

ChrisO
02-05-2011, 1:23 AM
did anyone notice the Glock striker leaves a rectangular imprint on the primer?
Have not seen this on my other pistols.

Don't forget to pick up your brass afterwards, LoL

Thats why I use a revolver. I also use .357 mag with a 9mm cylinder so they never catch me :43: . I'm sorry but ballistic fingerprinting is bullpoop.

luckygunner
02-05-2011, 5:05 AM
I think you'll find an anti gun writer coming up with any excuse to make Glocks or any pistol illegal. I hope this isn't picked up by the anti's. Although it would be good for them to learn some of the characteristics of firearms. The more knowledge you have about them the less likely you are to fear them.

I swapped my barrel for one with traditional rifling so I can shoot lead rounds.

rrr70
02-05-2011, 6:39 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5250/5352182544_49e9bfeb44.jpg

:D:p

maddoggie13
02-05-2011, 6:42 AM
It works....