PDA

View Full Version : NPR Story: Texas Lawmakers Aim For Guns On College Campuses

Crom
02-04-2011, 7:44 AM
I heard a nice story on the way in to work today on NPR/KPBS Radio.

February 4, 2011

Is the answer to mass shootings on college campuses to arm students and staff? Eight states are considering legislation that would allow people to carry a concealed handgun into the lecture hall, the library or the dorm. Ground zero for the debate is Texas, where a proposed law would remove "premises of higher education" as gun-free zones.

"Right now, so-called gun-free zones, I think, ought to be renamed Victims Zones," says state Sen. Jeff Wentworth, a San Antonio Republican who is sponsoring a bill that would allow handguns on campuses. "I just don't want to see a repeat in Texas of what happened at Virginia Tech."

Follow this link (http://www.npr.org/2011/02/04/133466058/texas-lawmakers-aim-for-) to the story and you can listen to the broadcast or read the story.

violator22348
02-04-2011, 8:21 AM
Do we really want 20-somethings on campuses with guns? I'm ok with the teachers having them if they want, but imagine 5000 + hot-heads at a school with guns.

Idiotic idea. Almost sounds like something a Californian would think up.

Hoologan
02-04-2011, 8:24 AM
Do we really want 20-somethings on campuses with guns? I'm ok with the teachers having them if they want, but imagine 5000 + hot-heads at a school with guns.

Wow really? You sound like an anti. Last I checked 20 something (adults) have the right to self defense just like you or I.

Bhobbs
02-04-2011, 8:25 AM

:rofl2:

You can't be serious.

That makes a licensed CCW 20 something more dangerous than a CCW licensed 50 something?

Wherryj
02-04-2011, 8:25 AM

Ok, you lost me on that one. Just why would you think that allowing ANY use of a gun would remind you of California? :confused:

Dr Rockso
02-04-2011, 8:27 AM

So somebody 21 years old is allowed to get a CCW and carry to the grocery store, the park, the bank, etc, but not onto the college campus where they spend most of their time?

The states that do allow it (Colorado and Utah, I believe) haven't had any problems. You sound like one of those "but there will be shootouts over parking spaces!" Brady spokesholes from the CCW movement in the 90s. We know how right they turned out to be.

Jonl
02-04-2011, 8:28 AM
Ok, you lost me on that one. Just why would you think that allowing ANY use of a gun would remind you of California? :confused:

Yes, sounds backwards.

Wherryj
02-04-2011, 8:29 AM
Wow really? You sound like an anti. Last I checked 20 something (adults) have the right to self defense just like you or I.

He was in on the squirt gun ban thread as showing support for the law-purportedly because LEOs shot someone while carrying a squirt gun.

I know a former motorcycle officer who was forced to shoot a woman he had stopped. She had committed a traffic infraction in his presence and had a warrant when he ran her plates. She decided to flee, but turned into a dead end.

He stopped his bike across the entrance, but she decided to run OVER it, with him on it. He shot her in the shoulder through the driver's door window just before she managed to get the car going completely over his leg.

I suppose that this means that we should also ban cars? After all, ONE person was shot while using a car in a stupid manner. Doesn't that mean that everyone loses the ability to use one?

HowardW56
02-04-2011, 8:34 AM

And where would "Out There Somewhere" actually be?

Crom
02-04-2011, 8:49 AM

I feel compelled to point out that you must have never attended college or at least you have a disparaging view of college students. As the article points out Utah has a law permitting students to conceal carry on campus and has done so successfully for at least 5 years. I will grant you that not all college students have the same level of maturity, however, those that choose to carry a licensed concealed weapon probably do so with great care, understanding and responsibility.

Skidmark
02-04-2011, 11:36 AM
NPR is undeniably the best source of unbiased news coverage on the radio frequency spectrum.

As to students carrying in Texas, why not? I would prefer a society, which includes college campuses, where any non-prohibited adult could legally carry a concealed legal firearm. The homicidal maniacs would never stand a chance against an armed citizenry.

Mute
02-04-2011, 11:39 AM

You mean like it happens everywhere else away from campus? Oh wait....that hasn't happened either.:rolleyes:

cadurand
02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Don't feed the troll.

yellowfin
02-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Idiotic idea. Almost sounds like something a Californian would think up.Ah, I see you're in favor of segregated campuses, segregated against gun owners. Interestingly enough that's exactly the anti gun people's strategy: not here, not there, not anywhere you want to be.

stix213
02-04-2011, 12:41 PM

I hear the Brady Campaign is hiring

PEBKAC
02-04-2011, 2:07 PM
From my time on college campuses, I can tell you there are a good deal of intellectually challenged, hot-headed, hormone inundated, immature college students.

I can also tell you they are a very unlikely group of people to suddenly start carrying. In most cases, guns, much less carrying them, simply has not been on the radar screen for them.

As someone already said, been happening in Utah for 5 years, and no blood (or at least gun related blood) flowing on campuses thus far.

I see only good things coming from this.

02-04-2011, 2:32 PM
I personally see no problem with this, coming from a 22 year old with a 21 and 19 year old gun owning friends. In my experience those who own firearms legally are usually more mature then the adverage anti gun people my age.

Douva
02-04-2011, 2:32 PM
Anyone who is genuinely interested in this issue can visit these two sites to learn the facts, statistics, and arguments supporting the legalization of licensed concealed carry on Texas college campuses:

http://www.StudentsForCampusCarry.org

http://www.CampusCarry.com

02-04-2011, 2:34 PM
Not to call anti gun owners immature, just saying that those who own legally are usually a little more mature about guns than antis

willm952
02-04-2011, 2:59 PM
NPR is undeniably the best source of unbiased news coverage on the radio frequency spectrum.

As to students carrying in Texas, why not? I would prefer a society, which includes college campuses, where any non-prohibited adult could legally carry a concealed legal firearm. The homicidal maniacs would never stand a chance against an armed citizenry.

Guess you're not aware of what happened to Juan Williams.
Courtesy of CAIR, that terrorist linked group that wants to improve Muslim relations with us. Basically, he said what he honestly felt about seeing a bunch of Muslims boarding an airplane (guess the turbans or what ever they're called gave them away); that he wouldn't board that plane out of honest fear of one of them being a terrorists. He said on it O'Riley factor and he used to be a star NPR columnist. So CAIR demands NPR take appropriate action (fire him) and that's what they did. Sometimes they present both sides of an argument but they do have an agenda of their own. Far left field. They also receive subsidies from you and me (gov) in addition to their fundraising efforts. Very polite people though. Used to be a paid subscriber. They even called me to say thank you for donating.

As for Utah, man they sound better every day.

USMC VET
02-04-2011, 3:01 PM
I have to say the longer I think about this issue the more I like it. A lot of anti's think of college as a place for beer pong and bongs and thus immediately associate everyone into that category. While there might be plenty of debauchery happening around campus, I feel those who took the time to research the type of gun they want, work for the money to pay for it, and go through the proper training and channels to carry are not going to be those ones you need to worry about. JMHO

jonyg
02-04-2011, 3:12 PM
I think it's a great idea.

Falconis
02-04-2011, 3:35 PM

Geee wonder what you think about all those hot head 18 year olds at boot camp with all them evil automatic rifles and evil nuclear bombs, and evil artillery pieces.

Granted there are a lot of idiots in our institutes for higher learning these days, look at oaklander's post. But to just assume the entire student body is a bunch of "hot heads" is a bit over reaching. Wonder what you really think about other people. I am sure you are the exception.

PEBKAC
02-04-2011, 3:37 PM
Guess you're not aware of what happened to Juan Williams.
Courtesy of CAIR, that terrorist linked group that wants to improve Muslim relations with us. Basically, he said what he honestly felt about seeing a bunch of Muslims boarding an airplane (guess the turbans or what ever they're called gave them away); that he wouldn't board that plane out of honest fear of one of them being a terrorists. He said on it O'Riley factor and he used to be a star NPR columnist. So CAIR demands NPR take appropriate action (fire him) and that's what they did. Sometimes they present both sides of an argument but they do have an agenda of their own. Far left field. They also receive subsidies from you and me (gov) in addition to their fundraising efforts. Very polite people though. Used to be a paid subscriber. They even called me to say thank you for donating.

As for Utah, man they sound better every day.
Off topic but that isn't what he said at all. He just admitted that yes, he does have fears whenever he sees what he perceives to be Muslims boarding a plane that he will be on. He never says he wouldn't board the plane and spent most of the segment trying to rebuff O'Reilly's assertions WRT Islam et al.

Though honestly that makes NPR look even worse for firing him. >_>

Skidmark
02-04-2011, 4:01 PM
Off topic but that isn't what he said at all. He just admitted that yes, he does have fears whenever he sees what he perceives to be Muslims boarding a plane that he will be on. He never says he wouldn't board the plane and spent most of the segment trying to rebuff O'Reilly's assertions WRT Islam et al.

Though honestly that makes NPR look even worse for firing him. >_>

NPR very badly mismanaged the Juan Williams affair. They should have made clear his appearances on Fox, and his comments about people who appeared to be Muslim, were inconsistent with NPR philosophy - and left the decision to him.

Paladin
02-04-2011, 7:12 PM
States as "laboratories of democracy"? Funny how -- forgive me -- Liberals are often all for Brandeis' concept, except when it applies to our RKBA.

dantodd
02-04-2011, 9:27 PM

I'm with you Violator. First they're going to want to carry on campus and the next thing you know we'll have teens and twenty-somethings going over seas with M16's and tanks and what not trying to execute foreign policy or defend and protect American interests. We need to nip this in the bud.