PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion

Goondog
02-03-2011, 8:53 PM
So I have a rare opportunity to legaly hunt Mountain Lion. A friend who owns animals claims that a mountian lion killed several animals. We got the tag from DFG and I have been out a couple times scouting and using fawn in distress calls. So far nothing. I haven't even seen tracks. I've seen scat, but it's bleaced and most likely has been there for a long time. Anyone have any experience hunting them? Or any pointers I could try before this tags time limit runs out?

Kerplow
02-03-2011, 9:33 PM
:lurk5:

sorry, i don't have any useful information, but i would love to know what people think. from what I've gathered, they don't like to show themselves while hunting, so getting one to come running to a call like a yote might be tough.

DirtyDave
02-03-2011, 9:38 PM
predator talkcast episode 16, calling mt lions
http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp;jsessionid=68C9B3F8AEEE5BCF33E66DE200 39325B.prod72_3?masterId=34247&pageNumber=1&pageSize=15

j4strngr
02-03-2011, 9:42 PM
The guys you need are here:
http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/

DirtyDave
02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
^^CPC is great, but there is not much there for mt lion hunting since it is a Ca based forum. There is probably some guys on there that hunt out of state that could help out though.

Helpful_Cub
02-03-2011, 10:52 PM
If he's patrolling his area than he may not be back for a while. Good luck getting it. Don't forget to skin it for fur, that's stuff ultra-rare in California.

Kerplow
02-03-2011, 11:29 PM
If he's patrolling his area than he may not be back for a while. Good luck getting it. Don't forget to skin it for fur, that's stuff ultra-rare in California.

i was just reading in another thread that you cannot harvest any part of the creature when hunting on a depredation permit.

center_x
02-04-2011, 5:04 AM
Do you know anyone with dogs?

Fjold
02-04-2011, 5:42 AM
You cannot keep the skin. It all goes to the state.

toby
02-04-2011, 5:59 AM
Do this at night and you will have a bit more luck... as long as spot lighting is legal in that area.

taperxz
02-04-2011, 6:31 AM
Do this at night and you will have a bit more luck... as long as spot lighting is legal in that area.

Night time is best, spot lighting is OK, is a depredation hunt, I can tell you this, you probably have a ten day tag, Lions move, sometimes you get em sometimes you don't, Lions have a broad territory and unless you put out some good bait which you can do, it will be tough. Help of a federal trapper would also be a good thing to do. They are pros and know how to get a cat into the trap. BTW they are free. Courtesty of Uncle Sam

VaderSpade
02-04-2011, 7:08 AM
Cats will return to their kill.
Without dogs staking out a fresh kill is about your best bet.

Goondog
02-04-2011, 9:08 AM
We have done most of our calling at night, sometimes as late as 1 am. Its last kill will be two weeks ago on sunday. I was guessing it was nowhere in the area. I don't know anyone with dogs, so calling or sitting out there every night waiting for it to come back is really my only option. And no I'm not able to harvest any of the animal. I wish I could keep the hide.

makomyday
02-04-2011, 9:16 AM
Bait it with a live kitten, or a bleeding goat, or maybe a small child.

DirtyDave
02-04-2011, 9:57 AM
a fawn decoy might help

m98
02-04-2011, 2:54 PM
Bait it with a live kitten, or a bleeding goat, or maybe a small child.

Use Chucky. Hi my name is blah blah blah. Would you like to eat me?

180ls1
02-04-2011, 6:28 PM
well if you want to shoot it its one thing. The best way is to wait till it makes a kill and immediately throw the kill in a trap and catch the sucker.

BayAreaShooter
02-04-2011, 6:53 PM
Bait it with a goat. Preferably in a cage so it will not be eaten if you do not get a shot off soon enough.

Goondog
02-04-2011, 7:35 PM
well if you want to shoot it its one thing. The best way is to wait till it makes a kill and immediately throw the kill in a trap and catch the sucker.

Thats what i was thinking also, but the lady who owns the property will not let us use live bait.

taperxz
02-04-2011, 7:56 PM
Thats what i was thinking also, but the lady who owns the property will not let us use live bait.

WHAT????? Aren't here livestock that she lost already live bait??? I got horses, cattle, and sheep, I wouldnt hesitate to use a lamb to bait that SOB in!! Better one than ten!

If its been two weeks, that cat is gone for now IMHO.

bruce_ventura
02-04-2011, 7:56 PM
I hear the pros use dogs. The cattle ranchers in this state have em on speed dial.

Goondog
02-04-2011, 8:00 PM
WHAT????? Aren't here livestock that she lost already live bait??? I got horses, cattle, and sheep, I wouldnt hesitate to use a lamb to bait that SOB in!! Better one than ten!

If its been two weeks, that cat is gone for now IMHO.

No need to tell me, but she doesn't feel the same, and doesn't want to loose anymore of her livestock.

taperxz
02-04-2011, 8:04 PM
Hohestly, if thats the case, let the cat eat. That lady will come around;)

Bruce Ventura, We dont have the dogs on speed dial but i do have the Federal trapper on speed dial. LOL

Goondog, did she call the Fed trapper? They don't miss their prey!!!

180ls1
02-04-2011, 8:25 PM

One of my good friends works for the USDA and they would remove problem lions all the time. He said it is really pretty painless to trap one if they had a fresh kill.

Sionadi
02-05-2011, 1:36 PM
Your best bet is to find someone with good cat dogs.

IntoForever
02-05-2011, 1:54 PM
Go jogging in the mountains with a steak jacket on. Go around sunset/sunrise and jog close to trees and bushes as much as possible. Oh, wait, you wanted to get the cat. I used to work around big cats and I noticed that when they are outside their cage Mountain Lions can be nervous/paranoid like a tweaker on a 5 day bender. Make sure you're quiet when moving around. I've never hunted them so this is all I can offer.

Shoot-it
02-05-2011, 10:18 PM
I talked to a warden a few months ago about this he said only the land owner that got the permit and licensed trapper can kill the lion.

RobertSmith
02-05-2011, 10:46 PM
The thought of hunting a mt. lion is very thrilling. I spoke to a guy in a marked county truck outside Black Star Canyon on the Irvine Ranch, and he said that there were a few mt. lion sightings from the December 2010 rains we got. The 24 inches of rain brought out a lot of wildlife. He mentioned that the cat sightings were before dusk. Definitely a time to be carrying. Your best bet is to do whatever comes instinctively. And watch your back.

A few years back, a mt. lion ate a biker and attacked a woman in one day in Whiting Ranch.

http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2009/01/17/weekday-ride-report-whiting-ranch-anne-hjelle/

Please keep us posted and be careful....