PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a couple to go hunting with

willisned
02-03-2011, 6:35 PM
My wife and I are in our mid 20s and we want to try hunting. We've been into firearms for a long time but have never had the opportunity to go hunting and we're looking for someone who knows what they're doing who might like to teach us.

We don't really care what the hunt is, pigs, deer, even squirrels, just something not too expensive (no African Safaris for us). Like I said, we've been into firearms for a while, so we're very safe and good shots, we would just like to experience something new and make some new friends in the process. We're located in Monterey County, but we would be willing to travel anywhere around central California.

Send me a PM if anyone is interested.

lewdogg21
02-03-2011, 7:48 PM
When I first started reading this I was thinking it was a craigslist adult section ad. lol. sorry.

Tripper
02-03-2011, 7:54 PM
Have you taken a Hunter Safety Class, and got a Hunting License?
Are you set on Firearms for Hunting or would you also be interested in Bow Hunting?

Tripper

180ls1
02-03-2011, 8:49 PM
what firearms do you have to use?

willisned
02-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Now that I think about it, we don't really have any rifles for deer, but I do have some good pig guns and varmint rifles. We haven't done the hunter safety course yet, this was sort of an idle musing to see if anyone was interested.

...Really, we just need new friends....

Sydwaiz
02-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Hunting, so that's what they are calling it these days!

Once you two get your licenses, just find a legal place to hunt and start off with rabbits and squirrels. You can do that together on your own.

E Pluribus Unum
02-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Now that I think about it, we don't really have any rifles for deer, but I do have some good pig guns and varmint rifles. We haven't done the hunter safety course yet, this was sort of an idle musing to see if anyone was interested.

...Really, we just need new friends....

If it's good for pig, it's good for deer. Deer is one of those things that can be shot with nearly anything.

In my several years of hunting, I have seen them shot with everything from a 9mm handgun to a .3006, and even 7.62x54.

If it's center-fire, and .22 or bigger, it's good to go.

You got a ways to go until deer season, however.

Helpful_Cub
02-03-2011, 11:48 PM
My wife and I are in our mid 20s and we want to try hunting. We've been into firearms for a long time but have never had the opportunity to go hunting and we're looking for someone who knows what they're doing who might like to teach us.

We don't really care what the hunt is, pigs, deer, even squirrels, just something not too expensive (no African Safaris for us). Like I said, we've been into firearms for a while, so we're very safe and good shots, we would just like to experience something new and make some new friends in the process. We're located in Monterey County, but we would be willing to travel anywhere around central California.

Send me a PM if anyone is interested.

Its good that your starting, its a very rewarding activity if you don't mind getting a lot of exercise in the process. From what you've described it sounds like your after mammals. Which is good because bird session is basically over for a while. In fact Deer is currently out of session. Your current options are: Bobcat, Wild Pigs, Coyotes, Jackrabbits and American Crow. Turkey opens on the 26th of March. Tree squirrels session is over at the moment.

If your completely new I'd probably look into coyotes and jackrabbits. If your in a decent place, you can call, and the coyotes will come to you. Jackrabbits are fairly common in my area and don't require any expensive artillery to drop (12 gauge or 22lr).

Once you go up to pigs and other big game you have a lot more stuff to think about. But I'm sure you'll find all that out the first time you discover that you have to move a 300 lbs beast from the bottom of a ravine up 2000 feet to reach your pickup truck above.

I'd take you out, but your really far away from me.

center_x
02-04-2011, 6:16 AM
Sounds like a swingers add :-)

If you lived closer, id take you.

Tripper
02-04-2011, 7:25 AM
Monterey county as big as it is, the only real public place for hunting is hunter liggett, get a hunter education class scheduled. Only 3 places in or near Monterey county for hunter Ed, salinas @ hunters supply, gilroy at coyote valley shooting sports and then the gun club in Watsonville
Salinas = don @ 831-915-9054
Gilroy = chuck @ 408-842-7578
Watsonville = Gary @ 831-421-2450
adults are better suited for the home study course rather than the 10 hour course so try for home study.

Good luck

Tripper

Eric Mayer
02-04-2011, 7:26 AM
In your area there are tons of ground squirrels within a short drive. If I were you, I would get my hunting licenses in order first. Then, I would ask around to try and get permission on some private land for ground squirrel hunting. It is easy to do and the hunting is very relaxed, so it is a great way to start out!

Good luck!

Eric :cool:

Full Clip
02-04-2011, 8:23 AM
Heck, if you're are interested in meeting other hunters, absolutely take an in-class 10-hour HSC course. You'll meet a lot of other beginners.
Good luck!

BANG BANG
02-04-2011, 9:10 AM
Sounds like a swingers add :-)

HA HA I thought the same thing.

me and and a few shooting buddies are thinking of trying hunting soon as well.

Like others have said. TYake the hunter education class / I'm scheduled for class end of this month. Get your license then plan for first time hunting

rodeoflyer
02-04-2011, 3:42 PM
Post pics of the wife. :p

tony270
02-04-2011, 3:55 PM
Post pics of the wife. :p

+1,
I have a hot young wife, I'm old but still vernal in body and mind:cool:.

21SF
02-04-2011, 3:56 PM
My girl and i are on the same path as you, get your hunters ed class out of the way first. Thats where we are at the moment.

BC9696
02-04-2011, 4:40 PM
If it's good for pig, it's good for deer. Deer is one of those things that can be shot with nearly anything.

In my several years of hunting, I have seen them shot with everything from a 9mm handgun to a .3006, and even 7.62x54.

If it's center-fire, and .22 or bigger, it's good to go.

You got a ways to go until deer season, however.

I'm pretty sure it has to be larger than .22 to be legal in Cali.

pdugan6
02-04-2011, 5:02 PM
Hey does anybody have a few thousand acres of prime private land with tons of black tail and pig? I would love to go hunting with you...

E Pluribus Unum
02-04-2011, 6:21 PM
I'm pretty sure it has to be larger than .22 to be legal in Cali.

Not true; the requirement is that it be center fire. I was saying any CENTER FIRE bullet larger than .22 (i.e. .223) is good enough for deer.

I would not shoot one with a .17HMR, though that IS center-fire.

When I said larger than .22, I was not referring to .22LR or any other rim-fire cartridge. There are a lot of center-fire cartridges just barely bigger than .22.

Eric Mayer
02-04-2011, 6:47 PM
Not true; the requirement is that it be center fire. I was saying any CENTER FIRE bullet larger than .22 (i.e. .223) is good enough for deer.

I would not shoot one with a .17HMR, though that IS center-fire.

When I said larger than .22, I was not referring to .22LR or any other rim-fire cartridge. There are a lot of center-fire cartridges just barely bigger than .22.

.17HMR is a rimfire. I think you meant .17 Remington, which is a centerfire?

Tripper
02-04-2011, 7:01 PM
If a group of calgunners wants to setup a Hunter Safety course, id be happy to help set it up. It would be a good opportunity for a meet and greet

Tripper

E Pluribus Unum
02-04-2011, 7:03 PM
.17HMR is a rimfire. I think you meant .17 Remington, which is a centerfire?

I saw a center-fire .17 cartridge and was told it was .17HMR. Thank you for the clarification.

tony270
02-05-2011, 12:45 AM
I saw a center-fire .17 cartridge and was told it was .17HMR. Thank you for the clarification.

That round goes by the name of, 17 Remington Fireball, 17 Remington, 17 Fireball.

lewdogg21
02-05-2011, 6:46 AM
The .17HMR costs like a centerfire, maybe that's what got somebody thinking it was. ;P

Yeah get your hunters safety, you will meet and talk to people in there. Also ask the instructor as he may have some information and know others who can help you. If you weren't 4 hours away I'd take you guys.

BC9696
02-10-2011, 9:47 PM
[QUOTE=E Pluribus Unum;5754273]Not true; the requirement is that it be center fire. I was saying any CENTER FIRE bullet larger than .22 (i.e. .223) is good enough for deer.

Perhaps i misread you. You wrote "If it's center-fire, and .22 or bigger, it's good to go." A .22 centerfire is still not legal in CA. I have a 22-250 that I cannot hunt deer with. Don't wanna argue your post...just wanna make sure we don't inadvertently mislead a newbie into doing something citable.

colddeadhands
02-10-2011, 10:08 PM
353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.

(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(b) through (h), Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see Section 354, Title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation. For purposes of Section 353, a "projectile" is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.

There is no mention of caliber, only that centerfire cartridges must be used.

P.S. sorry to partake in the thread jacking, just want facts.

Tripper
02-11-2011, 7:32 AM
Must be Centerfire
The only mention of caliber anywhere is minimum Muzzle-loading/percussion/etc... being .40, and air rifles must be .20

I've never heard of 22-250 being illegal, I know a few that its the only rifle they use.
(there may be some local ordinance or a specific land that could have that type of regulation, just not DFG)

Tripper

CaliforniaHunter
02-12-2011, 10:42 PM
one more thing is maybe join a local club like the SCI group, (Safari Club Intl), join the mule deer club or the ca deer club, Join the Rocky Mtn Elk foundation local club. That way you can meet people at functions and find someone you can learn to hunt with.

Now - if you have a place with a pig or Hog problem and can hunt for free,, I'll come up and try help you guys out.

good luck - and post results on your progress.