PDA

View Full Version : AB 144 Action Alert

puppy8a9
02-03-2011, 4:34 PM
We need as many politicians, elected officials, police, sheriff and others with official titles to write in and fax in opposition to AB 144, the removal of public self defense rights in CA. Individuals should also fax. It can be as simple as "My name is _____ and I oppose AB 144" and reason if you wish. You will get registered with this little.

Regular people are also encouraged to oppose this bill.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/70840666/Action-Alert-AB-144

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ko9p_0U6UyY/TUs5X9wLqWI/AAAAAAAAABU/XPZeCzgzh6o/s400/AB%2B144%2BAction%2BAlert%2BAB%2B144.jpg

renzoku
02-03-2011, 4:45 PM

why can't they just leave well enough alone?

Why?

unusedusername
02-03-2011, 5:29 PM
Who is "ResponsibleCitizensOfCalifornia.org"? Looks like you are affiliated with South bay open carry?

The legislative page says that the bill has only been sent to the printer...

I do not see any action items from NRA/CPRA as of yet...

Maybe its premature? I know the legislators have terrible long-term memory so if we bug them too early they will just forget about it when it is time to vote.

stix213
02-03-2011, 5:39 PM
This law doesn't take away your right to defend yourself in a public place. It takes away your right to UOC, which is one of many ways to defend yourself. You don't need to lie to your friends here. Blanketly calling this "the removal of public self defense rights in CA" when it clearly is not is a tactic the Brady's would use.

Still we need to stop this thing, no matter how I disapprove of your advertising methods :p

Librarian
02-03-2011, 5:49 PM
Maybe its premature? I know the legislators have terrible long-term memory so if we bug them too early they will just forget about it when it is time to vote.

It's kind of a tossup.

What the leg is supposed to be working on is the budget.

How many people really are? I don't know.

SO, for those who are not working on the budget, they should have time to read polite communications on other issues. (Hint: while any amount of righteous anger is appropriate, please write as if you were talking to your mom. Vulgarities and fury will get what you send tossed, as from a crackpot. You want your work to matter, not be dismissed.)

And in the past, Governors have said they don't really think about most bills until they get to the Big Desk. That's dissembling, of course, but in part the truth.

This time, however, the new Governor seems to recognize that the budget and the financial condition of the state are really important; he might actually take notice if enough people write him about this now, with the "wasting time on unimportant matters'' theme.

I mean, the other way didn't work on several bills we opposed - maybe we should change.

This page (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/asm-addresses.html) gives addresses for the Assembly.

This page (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/sen-addresses.html) gives the addresses for the Senate.

Of course, the remedy for poor long-term memory is to remind them frequently enough that it stays in short-term memory.

Nice, polite phone calls tie up staff time; you know you/we are all calling enough when the phone-answerer already knows what bill you want to talk about, and what position to expect from the caller. If they cannot get other things done, people will eventually notice.

Glock22Fan
02-03-2011, 6:45 PM
site maintenance
The site is currently unavilable
Docstoc.com is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Yes, Puppy is, IIRC, the spokeswoman for the South Bay UOC'ers. She has spent most of her posts on this site promoting UOC and denying that bills such as AB144 have arisen as a result of unwise UOC activity.

Still, that's where we are. We don't need AB144 and let's hope we can stop it - even though the silver lining is that it removes the reason for dismissing Peruta.

goober
02-03-2011, 6:59 PM
*sigh* :rolleyes:

Librarian
02-03-2011, 7:58 PM
*sigh* :rolleyes:
Ah, c'mon.

Anyone who wants to oppose a stupid CA gun bill should be encouraged to do it, and do a good job.

Whether the effort will achieve the desired result, or whether the desired result gets achieved another way, petitioning the government for redress of grievances is good exercise for the petitioned and the petitioners.

And, like the guy sentenced to death but given a year to teach the king's horse to sing -- maybe the horse will learn to sing.

Tack
02-03-2011, 8:48 PM
I took the time to write a letter about AB144 and faxed it in. You should too. All the issues are important to me; shall issue CCW, LC magazines, off roster guns, UOC, AW, and registration to name a few. I've sent in letters and written checks. These issues should be important to you too.

Then again, sing out proudly if you are a one issue type so we know your true colors.
Rob

goober
02-03-2011, 8:55 PM
Ah, c'mon.

Anyone who wants to oppose a stupid CA gun bill should be encouraged to do it, and do a good job.

Whether the effort will achieve the desired result, or whether the desired result gets achieved another way, petitioning the government for redress of grievances is good exercise for the petitioned and the petitioners.

And, like the guy sentenced to death but given a year to teach the king's horse to sing -- maybe the horse will learn to sing.

fair enough.

i'm just not a fan of hysterical pleas, whether i agree with the goals or not.
not all that surprising considering the source.
but hey, we're all on the same side, right? :D

puppy8a9
02-04-2011, 4:14 PM
Not quite the spokes person for Southbay Open Carry though they are covered under RCC. SBOC has their own board of directors and so does Contra Costa Open Carry. I mainly lobby on the right to carry and various other gun related bills including putting out notices of alert.

It is not premature. Arguments that get in now have a chance to make it into bill analysis under opposition. Lat year many oppositions were left off and Brady Camp had a larger list even though we had many more signatures on the petition against the bill.

Bill goes to Assembly public safety hearing 2/15, 2/22 or 3/1 with the last two dates most likely. There are members working against this bill on our side but the public must get involved. The more involvement against ALL gun bills the better.

I am working on a similar notice for De Leon's new gun bill related to ammo. Last year all gun bills were defeated but this was due to higher involvement which is partially due to open carry. I took teams to the capitol weekly. I have only made one team trip so far but have been at the capitol weekly.

Assemblyman Knight will be introducing a CCW bill to our benefit soon. I will try to keep track of this so more of US can testify on behalf of this bill. We need to support pro-gun legislation and against anti-gun legislation. If you do not care about open carry and carry rights the answer is simple....do nothing since it will not affect you until there is a state of emergency or you find it necessary. Understand there are hidden items and consequences to every regulation.

Open Carry banning bills happened before open carry became noticed. Gun grabbers will still be gun grabbers.

Gray Peterson
02-04-2011, 4:35 PM
Not really. Seems to imply orientation as some sort of negative, which it isn't in this particular case.

Can we focus on the fact that the author is an anti-gunner, rather than making insinuations that he is some sort of "fruit", please?

bwiese
02-04-2011, 5:01 PM
Not really. Seems to imply orientation as some sort of negative, which it isn't in this particular case.

Can we focus on the fact that the author is an anti-gunner, rather than making insinuations that he is some sort of "fruit", please?

Very good point. That photo should be pulled.

And I'd rub Perez' back too if he'd kill the bill.

puppy8a9
02-04-2011, 5:13 PM
No prob Bill, I just got a kick out of the pic. I have no idea the man's orientation but I would also rub their backs if they would kill the bill (would save me a bunch of time).

Pic deleted

SickofSoCal
02-04-2011, 5:16 PM

why can't they just leave well enough alone?

Why?

Because tyrants and wannabe tyrants never rest.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gcA0ZuKGkI8/TPFKlaHy-pI/AAAAAAAAJT4/aE1T6VnY75w/s1600/nanny-state.jpg