PDA

View Full Version : against american law to export weapons to mexico ?

Chadster
02-03-2011, 1:26 PM
Is it against state or federal law for an American citizen to sell or transport or export rifles or handguns into Mexico or to someone whom you know or believe is going to take those weapons into Mexico ?

Caladain
02-03-2011, 1:28 PM
ITAR would be a good place to start.

Chadster
02-03-2011, 1:30 PM
what is ITAR ?

Flopper
02-03-2011, 1:53 PM
what is ITAR ?

http://tinyurl.com/y3rqgca

Kharn
02-03-2011, 2:00 PM
The general rule is non-licensed individuals cannot ship over $100 in value, no barrels, no receivers.

gun toting monkeyboy
02-03-2011, 2:03 PM
http://tinyurl.com/y3rqgca

You know, I am not normally against this kind of response, but this time it was a bit uncalled for. The other poster tossed out an uncommon acronym, with no other references as to it's context. So, in effect, he didn't answer the question for most people. And then you make a snide post about going to look it up. How about taking a shot at the poster who didn't actually answer the question, and gave the internet equivelant of shrugging his shoulders and pointing? It's not like the OP was asking about something that comes up a dozen times a month, like "What brand upper should I get?" or "Can I use high-cap mags in my AR?"

-Mb

stix213
02-03-2011, 2:49 PM
You know, I am not normally against this kind of response, but this time it was a bit uncalled for. The other poster tossed out an uncommon acronym, with no other references as to it's context. So, in effect, he didn't answer the question for most people. And then you make a snide post about going to look it up. How about taking a shot at the poster who didn't actually answer the question, and gave the internet equivelant of shrugging his shoulders and pointing? It's not like the OP was asking about something that comes up a dozen times a month, like "What brand upper should I get?" or "Can I use high-cap mags in my AR?"

-Mb

At the same time a lot of people are tired when a question is asked that is answered with the first google search result. Its been happening a lot around here lately.

paradox
02-03-2011, 2:59 PM

-Mb

If you can't type ITAR into google you shouldn't be using the internet.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ITAR&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Not much confusion in the results to my eyes and your choice of sources range from the gov't, to the wiki, to privacy geeks...

Interfan
02-03-2011, 4:41 PM
Some things are Cat. 1 of the USML in ITAR and regulated by the State Dept. Other things are not, but are regulated by the Dept. of Commerce. Unless it is a toy or a universal part (screw, washer, etc.) you will find that you either need to register with the State Dept. ($2500 and around 8 months start to finish) or Commerce (no cost but around six weeks start to finish). You also have to get an export permit for whatever you are shipping and the buyer has to have import permits in Mexico.

If you can't read up on ITAR or don't have the time and resources to do it the legal way, best to not join the Mickey Mouse club for 15-20 in a federal prision. It is arms smuggling if not done with the proper permits and a federal judge won't have any pity if you say "I'm a dumbass. I didn't know".

If you are going hunting in Mexico and want to bring a weapon and then return to the US with it, there's a permit for that with customs and also with Mexican federal police.

docflash
02-03-2011, 4:44 PM

-Mb

+1. It's just courtesy.

MSO4MATT
02-03-2011, 4:49 PM
Hmmmm, weird question....kinda like an investigation study being done from some poor mother's basement by a son who frequents the Huffington post or code pink rallies ...
my apologies if incorrect