PDA

View Full Version : Threaded barrel standard

bradhe
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Tried the search function and didn't find anything directly on point. Is there any rulemaking, case law or practical rule of thumb on the standard for pinning a threaded barrel on a pistol in California. (should be no federal issues here)

I am looking at one of the tactical solutions barrels for my buckmark which come both threaded and unthreaded and would like to add the compensator which as sold screws on. What is the best way to make it legally permanent? Both the barrel shroud and compensator are aluminum. I have access to a machine shop so pining it would not be a problem, and could easily epoxy it on. I don't think that it is practical to weld it without ruining the parts.

Thoughts?

CSACANNONEER
02-03-2011, 12:20 PM
In Ca, threaded barrels are only an issue on non-RAW semi auto handguns with detachable magazines.

In your case, you would not want to put a threaded barrel on a Buckmark unless you either permanently attach a legal muzzle device or develop and install a mag lock on your gun. So, either blind pinning or silver soldering your comp to your barrel is fine and will not require you to use a mag lock.

bradhe
02-03-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm don't intend to use a mag lock and it is not practical to silver solder it. What exactly is "blind pinning"?

CSACANNONEER
02-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Blind pinning is where you drill deep enough to pin the two parts together but not deep enough to completely go through the parts. (I hope you can follow what I'm trying to say.) In the end, you'll have a hole which you can drive a pin into but, since the hole didn't go through, you can't drive the pin back out.

CHS
02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Call TacSol and ask them if they will do it for you in a permanent way.

Remember, you only need to follow CA guidelines, since Federally it can have a threaded barrel to begin with, so it might not have to be AS permanent as the Feds guidelines.

CA DoJ precedent says that epoxy is ok (Walther P22 drama).

hill billy
02-03-2011, 8:29 PM
BTDT, they will not, and they will not ship threaded barrels to California. I didn't ask about shipping them to 07 FFLs with silencer and AW permits, probably they'd be happy to do that. I know one licensed silencer manufacturer in the area who has a few threaded TacSol barrels.

Incorrect. They absolutely will pin the cap and they charge $10 to do so. They will also ship them to FFL's who do not have an SOT or AW permit in CA once they are pinned. I know because I did the legwork to get them on board with doing so.

CHS
02-03-2011, 9:59 PM
Incorrect. They absolutely will pin the cap and they charge $10 to do so. They will also ship them to FFL's who do not have an SOT or AW permit in CA once they are pinned. I know because I did the legwork to get them on board with doing so.

Why would they ship them to FFL's? The buckmark top end isn't a firearm (unlike the MKII top end). That's just silly.

They are a part. Plain and simple. Even with the threads, as a part, it is perfectly legal to ship them directly to consumers in California.

CHS
02-03-2011, 10:01 PM
BTDT, they will not, and they will not ship threaded barrels to California. I didn't ask about shipping them to 07 FFLs with silencer and AW permits, probably they'd be happy to do that. I know one licensed silencer manufacturer in the area who has a few threaded TacSol barrels.

AGAIN. It's not a firearm. Why would they not ship them directly to consumers? They are perfectly legal in CA.

If you absolutely have to have a short TacSol barrel, it's possible to find gunsmiths outside of California who can order it for you, remove the threaded portion on a lathe, and recrown it (not trivial, because the stainless barrel insert is pretty thin, but doable).

Why on earth would you re-crown it? Cutting the threads is not going to destroy the crown. Leave it alone.

hill billy
02-04-2011, 5:08 AM
Why would they ship them to FFL's? The buckmark top end isn't a firearm (unlike the MKII top end). That's just silly.

They are a part. Plain and simple. Even with the threads, as a part, it is perfectly legal to ship them directly to consumers in California.

Yeah, sorry, I was typing on a phone and left out the Ruger part. They will ship the Ruger uppers once they are pinned to FFL's and the Buckmark barrels to whomever. The important part here is that they will pin the cap.

bradhe
02-04-2011, 6:27 AM
If they will do it, is there any reason why I couldn't pin it myself? (And probably epoxy as well, belt and suspenders)

hill billy
02-04-2011, 7:59 AM
If they will do it, is there any reason why I couldn't pin it myself? (And probably epoxy as well, belt and suspenders)

I don't see why not, but I wouldn't want to be caught with a threaded barrel. I know it's not illegal if it's not on the gun but I can guarantee you'd have grief over it.

hill billy
02-04-2011, 8:12 AM
My information is about a year or two old. If your information is newer, then I'm delighted to be corrected.

My info is about two months old. I got them the necessary paperwork to get this moving. When I first talked to them, their answer was no to everything.

CHS
02-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Ruger Mark II stuff may or may not be different, because in that case, the upper receiver (which is the part they sell) may be the serialized firearm, but I don't care about that, never having bought any Ruger accessories from them.

Problem with the MKII is that they are the firearm, so they must go to an FFL, and on top of that they aren't on the Roster so you can't have one without sending them your frame too, having them install it, making sure the barrel and OAL are set, and then it needs to be modified to be a single shot.

Or you can be LEO.

If you look at the TacSol barrel for the Buckmark, the sensible way to remove the threads would be to cut off the front 1/2" or so of the barrel assembly, thereby shortening the barrel. Otherwise, you end up with a very fat barrel (somewhere around an inch diameter), with the front 1/2 inch portion being pencil thin. The TacSol barrel is different from say a Mark23 barrel, where the threads don't reduce the outer diameter of the barrel very much.

That's true. That makes much more sense.