PDA

View Full Version : DOJ List of Approved Guns Question..

hdcd
09-02-2006, 9:03 PM
I've found a handgun that I'm interesting in purchasing from a dealer. It's set to fall off the DOJ list of approved guns by 12/31/2006. Let's just assume the mfg. is not going to try to get it re-approved.

What does the dealer do with the gun if he hasn't sold it by the date it goes off the list?

What would be the last day I could legally DROS the gun and what date would I have to pick up the gun as to not have any problems?

GUNS4WORK
09-02-2006, 10:11 PM
the dealer would have to sell the firearm out of state, or possibly return it to the wholesaler.(some have a unsold return policy)

you can dros it on the last day of listing. 12-31-06. you must pick it up no later than 30 days from date of dros. if you miss the 30 day mark the firearm can no longer be dros'ed.

Librarian
09-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Let's just assume the mfg. is not going to try to get it re-approved.Ordinarily*, handguns do not need to be re-approved (retested); the company which had it tested the first time just keep paying the annual 'fee' :rolleyes: . If they're late, or just get tired of paying, or choose to stop manufacturing the tested model and therefore choose to stop paying the fee, then the gun falls off the list.

*NOT ordinary is a DOJ required retest, e.g. if DOJ suspects the guns sold are not as-tested.