PDA

View Full Version : Are ammo shipment restrictions by Cities a punishable law?

vincnet11
02-02-2011, 9:37 PM
Certain cities in California have ammo shipping restrictions from online retailers, but not every website abides by the same restrictions. For example Cheaper than dirt cannot ship to Oakland but Cabelas doesn't impose the same restriction. Since ammo shipment is not regulated by state Law but only the City, is that punishable somehow if the restriction is violated?

vincnet11
02-03-2011, 3:42 PM
bump

Andy Taylor
02-03-2011, 4:30 PM
Good question.

rodeoflyer
02-03-2011, 4:41 PM
My hope is that the LA Law is struck down now, since it is just as vague with regard to hangun ammunition.

Lucky for me, Simi Valley is close and has lower sales tax anyway. :p

edwardm
02-03-2011, 5:16 PM
Certain cities in California have ammo shipping restrictions from online retailers, but not every website abides by the same restrictions. For example Cheaper than dirt cannot ship to Oakland but Cabelas doesn't impose the same restriction. Since ammo shipment is not regulated by state Law but only the City, is that punishable somehow if the restriction is violated?

Cities and counties may create ordinances and violation of those ordinances may be either a misdemeanor or an infraction, determined by the ordinance in question. Just pull up the ordinance in question and look - it will probably say in the text.

paul0660
02-03-2011, 5:25 PM
Most of these restrictions require the reporting of sales by the vendor to the municipality. It can be done, it's just a pita.

oni.dori
02-03-2011, 9:17 PM
I have been wondering something similar. I see that Sportsman's Guide won't ship ammo or knives/most edged tools to Ventura County (where I am from), yet they are the ONLY retailer that I am aware of that won't. I have ordered both knives and ammo from different online retailers before (some even LOCATED IN California), and have never had an issue with them not being able to send them. What I want to know is, is Sportsman's Guide just arbitrarily excluding my county (along with a few others), or is there a restriction I am not aware of?

Don29palms
02-03-2011, 9:43 PM
I have been wondering something similar. I see that Sportsman's Guide won't ship ammo or knives/most edged tools to Ventura County (where I am from), yet they are the ONLY retailer that I am aware of that won't. I have ordered both knives and ammo from different online retailers before (some even LOCATED IN California), and have never had an issue with them not being able to send them. What I want to know is, is Sportsman's Guide just arbitrarily excluding my county (along with a few others), or is there a restriction I am not aware of?

SG and CTD won't ship alot of legal items to California. PERIOD! I personally will not do any business at all with either company or any other company that refuses to sell legal items to California. There are plenty of other companies that do want our business and I will continue to support them.

oni.dori
02-04-2011, 12:11 PM
I do realize that, I have seen many of the threads on here of people bashing and complaining about them doing that. However, I wasn't trying to insight more of that, I was trying to find out if there was any actual reason (such as, a county ordinance, or prohibitive shipping costs, etc.), or if they were just being prejudiced for no particular reason. Really, the main reason I ask, is because on these items, they only won't ship it to Marin, Napa, Ventura, or Yolo counties. If it was the entire state of CA, I wouldn't question it as much, but only 4 counties? Seems kind of strange to me.

Wherryj
02-04-2011, 5:08 PM
My hope is that the LA Law is struck down now, since it is just as vague with regard to hangun ammunition.

Lucky for me, Simi Valley is close and has lower sales tax anyway. :p

Wherever you may purchase in the future, I'd recommend that it be certain to keep the tax dollars away from LA. That, at the very least, is the "silver lining" to your situation.