PDA

View Full Version : Proving you have a RAW

Write Winger
02-02-2011, 8:18 PM
Question for those who have a RAW:

When the rest of us are at the range, we have our BB and 10rd mags along with the flow chart to keep from being arrested... but what do you have? If you have a RAW with all the evil features and 30rd mags and you're at the range or are pulled over, what proof do you need to show that yours is registered and you're exempt from harassment?

Ed_Hazard
02-02-2011, 8:19 PM
The DOJ has a registry, if LE runs your name it will show you own RAW.

The majority of RAW owners also carry a copy of the DOJ paperwork showing make and serial # of the RAW.

And frankly, unless I am commiting a crime I should not have to prove it is a RAW.

swat
02-02-2011, 8:20 PM
A letter from former CA Attorney General Dan Lundgren confirming that my AW is registered with the State.

berg
02-02-2011, 8:32 PM
http://www.bikeblognyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Charlie_Bucket__Golden_Ticket.jpg

http://stewf.blogs.com/stewflog/images/golden-ticket.jpg

j-rod
02-02-2011, 8:35 PM
http://www.bikeblognyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Charlie_Bucket__Golden_Ticket.jpg

http://stewf.blogs.com/stewflog/images/golden-ticket.jpg

:rofl2:

Oceanbob
02-02-2011, 8:44 PM
my replacement RAW confirmation letter.

I have 11 Registered Assault Weapons. I couldn't find my letter. (20 years ago)

I had to send a letter, with a copy of my DL and notarized signature to "Teri" up at the CDOJ. (nice gal by the way).

It took about a week...just got it back. While it's not required to have the paperwork with you; I plan on making several copies the keep with the various weapons.

This letter is also REQUIRED if one intends to sell the RAW out of STATE. (which is the only way to sell it) If I sell my UZI Carbine I have to have an FFL with an Assault Weapons Endorsement do the transfer out of State for me. Arrgg.....

BTW..mine says Kamala D. Harris on the left top.

Bigtwin
02-02-2011, 8:45 PM
LOL on that golden ticket post!
My FIL has a RAW and has the paperwork with him at all times he takes the AR out, as that is what he was told to do. Never once was he questioned on using it at any range.

BKinzey
02-02-2011, 8:47 PM
While I do carry a copy of the registration it does specifically state in the law that one doesn't have to keep it with the firearm.

jamesob
02-02-2011, 9:22 PM
i lost my original copy and they replaced it within a week. i now have around 20 copies all over.

FullMetalJacket
02-02-2011, 9:28 PM
Unless I'm doing something suspicious---and using my RAW at the range per the law does not qualify---I'm under no burden to prove anything to anybody. If anyone has reason to suspect me, they can call the cops and see if they're interested in checking me out.

GOEX FFF
02-02-2011, 9:33 PM
This letter is also REQUIRED if one intends to sell the RAW out of STATE. (which is the only way to sell it) If I sell my UZI Carbine I have to have an FFL with an Assault Weapons Endorsement do the transfer out of State for me. Arrgg......

One can always drive it to an out-of-state FFL to do the transfer too and no need for the letter or finding an FFL with an endorsement (plus their fees).

Of course we all know that once a legal RAW is sold out of CA, a kitten is sacrificed. So, keep your RAW and save a kitty. :)

kris&bela
02-02-2011, 9:44 PM
I always bring a copy with me...NO BIG DEAL. I need more though since mine are kinda wrinkled and dirty now.I never had any incident except one time at Los Altos/Rod range-he was a young guy with a B.B set up, he was just asking why I have that kind of set up. Nice guy though, just curious I guess.

cindynles
02-02-2011, 9:52 PM
You get one of these.......... I keep a copy with each RAW just in case. I have never been asked about it.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/cindynles/RAWLetter.jpg

magsnubby
02-02-2011, 11:57 PM
The DOJ has a registry, if LE runs your name it will show you own RAW.

The majority of RAW owners also carry a copy of the DOJ paperwork showing make and serial # of the RAW.

And frankly, unless I am committing a crime I should not have to prove it is a RAW.

What he said.

Mimi_T
02-02-2011, 11:58 PM
I have 11 Registered Assault Weapons.

:eek:

:drool5::drool5::drool5:

LazyBoy
02-03-2011, 12:05 AM
I actually carry two copies of my letter. One with the rifle and the other in my glove box just in case.

Kenpo Joe
02-03-2011, 5:51 AM
I keep my letter in the stock. I've never been asked or questioned about it and the standard capacity magazines I use.

Back on mute. :chris:

Mute
02-03-2011, 6:34 AM
The proof is out there.

emcon5
02-03-2011, 6:51 AM
i lost my original copy and they replaced it within a week. i now have around 20 copies all over.

Same here. All it took was a phone call.

Naturally, I found the original about 2 days later.:rolleyes:

I keep one copy in my case, even if a RAW isn't in it, and another copy in my range bag.

TMC
02-03-2011, 6:59 AM
I have a letter in my file cabinet but I don't worry about it. 10 years of driving all over the state and going in and out to matches and never an issue.

I really don't care what people at the range think but I wish they would mind thier own business concerning my rifles. I know they are well intentioned but thier assumption is that shooting started when they did so everybody has to have guns like them.

Jaxpire
02-03-2011, 7:05 AM
I have never been harassed at the range with my RAW other than a few gawkers saying, look he is dropping mags.

Oh yeah, that one time the range master wanted to see the letter just to see what it looked like. Think he was a little disappointed, since it does not look like a golden ticket.

maddoggie13
02-03-2011, 7:13 AM
my replacement RAW confirmation letter.

I have 11 Registered Assault Weapons. I couldn't find my letter. (20 years ago)

I had to send a letter, with a copy of my DL and notarized signature to "Teri" up at the CDOJ. (nice gal by the way).

It took about a week...just got it back. While it's not required to have the paperwork with you; I plan on making several copies the keep with the various weapons.

This letter is also REQUIRED if one intends to sell the RAW out of STATE. (which is the only way to sell it) If I sell my UZI Carbine I have to have an FFL with an Assault Weapons Endorsement do the transfer out of State for me. Arrgg.....

BTW..mine says Kamala D. Harris on the left top.

What only 11 Bob??? You must not been collecting RAW very long...:D

Carry copy of letter each time...UZI is fun...

VaderSpade
02-03-2011, 7:50 AM
I also keep a copy in the stock, but I haven't had my RAW out of the safe in a couple of years. I have a featureless if I need to dump some mags, and I can live with 10 round mags when target shooting.

Mstnpete
02-03-2011, 8:05 AM
You get one of these.......... I keep a copy with each RAW just in case. I have never been asked about it.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/cindynles/RAWLetter.jpg

+100 :p I keep a bunch of them in my rifle bags. Plus in the Safe.

odysseus
02-03-2011, 8:11 AM
There is no expectation of having to prove your RAW, the expectation was that we had to register them and follow the special notes in the law on their possession and transport. They are in a database that LE can examine can if they want to. Right - it is also not a bad idea to carry a copy of your DOJ letter anyway just so it is there.

Yes, most of the "drama" would come from an unaware person in public whom thinks it is illegal due to them being ignorant.

The Director
02-03-2011, 8:16 AM
You guys are also forgetting featureless builds. I had no ARs before the ban but was smart enough to buy mags for them since that was all I could afford at the time. Now I drop mags left and right at the range. While it's true I'm using a hammerhead grip, most people don't notice the grip when I'm shooting.

Never ever been questioned on my standard cap mags or dropping them and I've done this at countless ranges.

And I don't carry a single damn letter, lol!

CCWFacts
02-03-2011, 8:25 AM
I keep my letter in the stock.

That's what I do too.

Re: getting copies of the letter: as others have said, the DoJ is very friendly and helpful to RAW owners. I got a copy of my letter within a few days of calling them up. They get an "A+" for customer service.

Beelzy
02-03-2011, 8:39 AM
I just memorized my Permit number.

sniper4usmc
02-03-2011, 8:43 AM
They were selling Strip Lower receivers for $150 back in 90s..I picked up couple Eagle Arms Lower...and got many USGI mags from Marine Corp

bwiese
02-03-2011, 8:45 AM
Nobody causes me trouble because I'm old enough and can "quote Scripture".

Nobody's caused me issues w/hicap mags either.

I do carry copy of my AW reg with me but that's for traffic stops, and I do have my number memorized.

stevie
02-03-2011, 8:45 AM
Like the rest.. I keep copies in my rifle bag, truck and ammo case..

JamesY
02-03-2011, 8:49 AM
You guys are also forgetting featureless builds. I had no ARs before the ban but was smart enough to buy mags for them since that was all I could afford at the time. Now I drop mags left and right at the range. While it's true I'm using a hammerhead grip, most people don't notice the grip when I'm shooting.

Never ever been questioned on my standard cap mags or dropping them and I've done this at countless ranges.

And I don't carry a single damn letter, lol!

I get the opposite treatment. While shooting my RAWs, I like to use my >10rd mags. I usually get questioned by rubber-neckers on what my excuse is for having "high cap mags" before the ban. I usually reply, "shouldn't you question why my rifle has a folding stock, a pistol grip, no bullet button and a flash hider on it first?" they usually just leave and go back to their shooting bench 30 lanes away.

Another time a sheriff did the same thing to me at Pillsbury. He threatened to confiscate my 30rd AK mag since he claimed they're illegal. He didn't care about my RAW right beside it. I even showed him my RAW paperwork and he didn't care for it. He was more interested in the mag. After the nice lady on the other end of the radio told him 30rd mags are ok, he let me go. Some people...

bohoki
02-03-2011, 9:10 AM
i only have 3, four if you count the 50 bmg

my policy is that the only people entitled to know have their own way of finding out so there is no reason to carry papers

Interfan
02-03-2011, 9:13 AM
Nobody causes me trouble because I'm old enough and can "quote Scripture".

Nobody's caused me issues w/hicap mags either.

I do carry copy of my AW reg with me but that's for traffic stops, and I do have my number memorized.

Same here. Honestly, I have never had a LEO hassle me over anything at a range. Usually any conversation about "assault weapons" with police is friendly, and it turns into a "you shoot mine and i'll shoot yours" type of exchange and then a discussion on gear and experience. It could be where I am, but the local police are respectful and can be fun to shoot with.

The issues of an unfriendly exchange have only come up with younger shooters who want to "school" you on the law. I don't mind someone coming up and saying "where did you get that ___?" or "how do you like that ___?" or "why does my __ have this problem?" etc. This is a great type of exchange. Sometimes it gets to be too much, specially when questions involve video games (I don't know if my rifle is in little boy soldiers video game. I don't play 'em), but it is important to share our experience and our sport.

When some kid comes up and says "dude, I heard on the internets that if you have that (or those) you are a criminal and should be going to jail", that gets old. In that case, for chrissakes, mind your own business you are not Dudley f-ing Doright.

BoxesOfLiberty
02-03-2011, 9:42 AM
Interestingly, my listed ARs have never gotten me any hassle, and very seldom draw any significant attention. (A couple times I have had other shooters ask about the configurations, and one pointed out that Bushmaster was a named AW.)

On the other hand, my evil-featured Mini-14 sometimes gets attention and on a few occasions has caused range staff (and once a Sheriff's deputy at Metcalf) to approach me to declare that it is an illegal assault weapon. I've just informed them that it is registered, and that's been the end of the conversation. I offered to let the deputy examine the DOJ letter, but he declined.

That said, I do carry a copy of my registration letter with each rifle and keep extra copies in my range bag and safe, as I don't enjoy detention.