PDA

View Full Version : so all of our Handguns are registered, what if I move?

CalNRA
09-02-2006, 3:12 PM
So I know by this point in my life that all my pistols are registered to me, and all of them are bought using my current residence address.

But I am moving in a year or two, it's a scheduled move and is inevitable and will most likely to be within the state. Are we, by law, required to inform the DOJ on updating the address of every pistol I own? I don't hear this mentioned much and did a search on DOJ and no info is given. I can't imagine having to report to the beauracrats every time I move.

THanks.

ocabj
09-02-2006, 3:14 PM
You registered your pistols?

Assuming you bothered to send in the Firearms Ownership Record forms for all of your guns, there's no stipulation to update the records with a new residence. There is no condition that you need to update your records for a registered Assault Weapon, either, if you chance residences.

CalNRA
09-02-2006, 3:33 PM
You registered your pistols?

Assuming you bothered to send in the Firearms Ownership Record forms for all of your guns, there's no stipulation to update the records with a new residence. There is no condition that you need to update your records for a registered Assault Weapon, either, if you chance residences.

from what I have been informed, every time you buy a pistol from a FFL in California, it's de-facto registerred since the serial number is sent to the DOJ on the DROS.

Of course the antis won't be happy with that, but I doubt the info is disposed after the DROS is done.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-02-2006, 4:16 PM
I've been told that CalDOJ Firearms Division uses DMV records and your driver's license/state ID number to keep your firearm registration address up to date. They do this automatically, with no action required on your part except for letting DMV know when you move.

SemiAutoSam
09-02-2006, 4:31 PM
I've been told that CalDOJ Firearms Division uses DMV records and your driver's license/state ID number to keep your firearm registration address up to date. They do this automatically, with no action required on your part except for letting DMV know when you move.

And what if your DL or ID information is merely a mailing address and not a physical address ?

Then how do they keep track of you and your registered weapons ?

Mssr. Eleganté
09-02-2006, 4:41 PM
And what if your DL or ID information is merely a mailing address and not a physical address ?

Then how do they keep track of you and your registered weapons ?

I don't know, but I'm guessing that DOJ just having your mailing address serves the purposes of the current law. The registration of handguns wasn't sold by lawmakers as a way to track where your firearms are physicaly kept. They just wanted to be able to find out who a particular handgun belongs to.

Hunter
09-02-2006, 5:12 PM
When I was at the DOJ hearing on the regulation changes, I was talking to a staff member and the subject of the notification flyers came up. In the conversation the staff member stated that the flyers that they handed out at the meeting was those that were returned undeliverable due to address changes. The staff member went on to say that it is not a requirement to report changes in your address for AW registrations, so the DOJ doesn't always have valid addresses for the registered AW on their books.

dwtt
09-02-2006, 8:44 PM
I don't know of any requirement for you to report changes of address when you own handguns or long guns, but let's just accept that if the government wanted to find you, they can. Well, unless you become like Ted Kocinski and live in a shack in the forest, cut off from society while making your bombs.

Silverback
09-03-2006, 1:03 PM
Quick - everyone play musical houses to totally confuse the ..........:D

glockk9mm
09-03-2006, 11:15 PM
At around the time when the walther p-22 came out I purchased one out of state through an auction. About a year later I get a letter in the mail along with a fed-ex prepaid box stating that my gun needs to be shipped back to s&w within 30 days so they can change the barrel design. Aparently i had one with a threaded barrel. How did the DOJ know this a year after? Do they start going through your records way after you purchase a gun or what?