PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Deer/ Elk Hunts

Flux Capacitor
02-02-2011, 4:23 PM
I am planning my Colorado trip this year. I have the BLM map. Anyone have any input on where to go etc?

Fjold
02-02-2011, 4:32 PM
Look at the BLM land around Meeker, Co. I've taken two elk in two trips there.

acourvil
02-02-2011, 8:20 PM
I don't know about BLM property or when you are planning to hunt, but I went on a guided hunt late last year in the northwest corner of the state just north of Craig, and we saw an unbelievable number of elk (literally thousands). All 12 hunters there during the week harvested elk, more than half were 6x6 and I think the smallest was a 4x5. This was on private property, but the elk were all around the properties in that general area.

dodgerfan175
02-02-2011, 10:48 PM

During which season?

We went to the southwest part of the state around Durango during the third rifle season, hunted hard and saw absolutely nothing.

taperxz
02-03-2011, 10:36 AM

I am two for two there also. Nice town, good food, place that will process your elk for ya!! +100^^^^^

Full Clip
02-03-2011, 12:01 PM
I've hunted just north of Craig on public/BLM land for three seasons. It's very productive if the weather turns and forces animals off the mountain. I missed my trip this year but my bro-in-law went (second season/rifle). He bagged a small buck.

He's hunted Craig area for 15 years and said this season was terrible as the blue-bird weather didn't force movement. Also annoying is that plenty of out-of-state yahoos choose to camp RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the hunting grounds. Yeah, that's smart... Regardless, the Craig area offers solid opportunity, especially for the public land/BLM hunter.

Just watch the private property! The landowners up there are on a hair trigger. Some purposefully DO NOT POST their land and will try to blackmail you into paying them off -- instead of calling the law -- even if you're just close to their invisible property line. A GPS is a very important tool to have, that and a map may save your backside.

If you do go, have your kill processed at Mountain Meats in town. They do a nice job and are good people.

chrisw
02-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I've seen some REALLY big deer while hunting near Meeker as well, unfortunatley I was hunting elk... (isn't that the way it always goes?)

toby
02-03-2011, 4:56 PM
During which season?

We went to the southwest part of the state around Durango during the third rifle season, hunted hard and saw absolutely nothing.

By this time everything is well out of reach they have been chased and shot at two seasons already. One has to be real lucky and or a die hard to score in the late hunt.

dodgerfan175
02-10-2011, 12:19 AM
By this time everything is well out of reach they have been chased and shot at two seasons already. One has to be real lucky and or a die hard to score in the late hunt.

I guess I'll try to go out on a 1st season hunt this year.

rexbo47
02-10-2011, 7:10 AM
How much is a CO non-resident license/tag?

mebejets
02-10-2011, 7:23 AM
Elk (bull, either sex) $554.00
Elk (cow) $354.00

rexbo47
02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Elk (bull, either sex) $554.00
Elk (cow) $354.00

Thanks, I may look into it myself.

mebejets
02-10-2011, 4:17 PM
The statement above is not necessarily true. Just because there has been two seasons before does not mean they are harder to hunt. I would say weather has more to do with it. I’ve hunted these animals for almost 20 years and the weather has the most influence of all and just remember 1st seasons are not the easiest to get they are draw licenses a lot of the time!!!!! Location has a lot to do with it as well!!!

CaliforniaHunter
02-10-2011, 6:32 PM
I am probably gonna go to CO this year but south part of state unit 81/or 82 area I believe. I hunted last year in NM unit 52 -- basically across the "street" stateline. I got a nice 6x6 in archery last year. gonna try a CO over the counter tag maybe this year.

CO has a lot of Elk. keep this thread going...

ElvenSoul
02-10-2011, 6:49 PM
Early season the SW of CO rocks..late season NE Corner.

acourvil
02-11-2011, 4:25 PM
The statement above is not necessarily true. Just because there has been two seasons before does not mean they are harder to hunt. I would say weather has more to do with it. I’ve hunted these animals for almost 20 years and the weather has the most influence of all and just remember 1st seasons are not the easiest to get they are draw licenses a lot of the time!!!!! Location has a lot to do with it as well!!!

I'm no expert, but this is definitely consistent with what I saw last year. When the first snow storms came, they moved down from the mountains and were everywhere, at least in the area we were in. I saw more elk in 3 days than I expected to see in a lifetime. I told our guide that I saw more elk than quail this year, and it wasn't even close.

dodgerfan175
02-17-2011, 12:26 AM

Well maybe it just wasn't meant to be last year but we hunted hard, right before a snow storm and after the snow storm and like I said before we did not see a single animal. We'll try it again this year, I'm considering the Meeker area since fellow calgunners have had some luck in that area.

Hunt
02-17-2011, 1:23 PM
During which season?

you weren't camping in the middle of the hunting area were you?

dodgerfan175
02-17-2011, 5:31 PM
you weren't camping in the middle of the hunting area were you?

No we stayed in a motel drove out there and hiked, the people we did see camping out there picked out decent spots far enough away from everything.

Bull Elk
02-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Much depends on whether or not you are a fair weather hunter or can tollerate cold and snow. I've hunted the Meeker, CO every year except for two since 1988. Season 1 and 4 are draw only and 2 & 3 have over the counter elk tags. Deer, which is limited to seasons 2 & 3 (check for drawing success, as it's not 100%). You can generally expect snow in seasons 3 & 4. Last year my party tagged out with 7 elk for 6 hunters (one hunter had an extra cow tag). We hunted in about 1.5 feet of snow and it was very cold on the 4th season. Elk around Meeker are generally not wall hangers, but in my opinion, a "legal elk is a good elk." If you want a good outfitter who charges blue collar prices - and is the absolute best I've ever hunted with, send me a PM and I'll share his name. Right now I know he has openings for the 4th hunt which is pretty much 100% successful draw for elk. We hunt in the Buford area about 20 miles from Meeker. Good Luck! Bull Elk