PDA

View Full Version : I'm ready for my antelope hunt, I think.

Fjold
09-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I leave September 23rd for a week of antelope and prairie dog hunting in southern Wyoming. I've worked up the load for my 6.5 x 284 and have all the scope settings out to 500 meters (I rang the 500 meter, 8" gong, 8 times in a row off the bipod this morning). This antelope load is a 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip starting at 3,400 fps and I'm stupid confident with it past 500 yards.

I'm also bringing 100 rounds of a 142 grain Sierra Matchking Load with scope settings out to 1,200 yards for prairie dogs because the heavier SMK's shoot better than the 100 grain load after 800 yards. I've got another 300 rounds loaded up and sighted in of 223 loads for my AR rifle and 200 rounds of 22.250 for my old Savage 110. Since there's three of us going and the other two guys have never hunted antelope or prairie dogs before, I'll be doing the spotting and guiding for them so I'm not bringing a bunch of ammunition.

I've been shooting 100 rounds a week for the last three months, so what do I do for the next 21 days ??

Here's the one five shot group I shot this morning:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/DSC00400.jpg

taloft
09-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Work on your list of excuses as to why you missed that trophy buck at 100 meters.:p :D

J/K

Play around with your mildot master and look up common ranges. Find the average height of your prey to make your estimates more accurate. Compute windage adjustments for common range/wind speeds. Put new batteries in the laser range finder so you don't have to think about mildots at all.:D

Visualize, visualize, and visualize again. Seriously, you'd be amazed at how much visualization helps. Take plenty of pics, stay safe, and have a successful hunt.

moulton
09-02-2006, 1:02 PM
I cant wait for my antelope hunt :D ....Second week in octobe in butte montana:cool:

Fjold
09-02-2006, 3:15 PM
Work on your list of excuses as to why you missed that trophy buck at 100 meters.:p :D

J/K

Play around with your mildot master and look up common ranges. Find the average height of your prey to make your estimates more accurate. Compute windage adjustments for common range/wind speeds. Put new batteries in the laser range finder so you don't have to think about mildots at all.:D

Visualize, visualize, and visualize again. Seriously, you'd be amazed at how much visualization helps. Take plenty of pics, stay safe, and have a successful hunt.

40" for antelope bucks, I already have the chart worked up for the mildots. I have the trajectories all dialed in and shot them this morning for confirmation.

I have a set of horns on the wall already that score 74 (B&C minimum is 82), I've visualized a heavy set of 15 inchers with big prongs falling for about 6 years now.
:D

capitol
09-02-2006, 4:42 PM
hmmm, déjà vu :p

tankerman
09-02-2006, 6:33 PM
I don't get to leave for my Wyoming Antelpoe hunt until the season is half over, mid october, one buck three doe tags. Have to work the first half of the month.
Anyone have deer tags also?

moulton
09-02-2006, 9:26 PM
does anyone know the aproximate cost of having a antelope taxadermied and placed on a headmount? this is my first big game and I want to get it done for my christmas present :D :cool:

Fjold
09-03-2006, 9:13 AM
Shoulder mounts up here run about $450 but I haven't checked in a couple of years. That supposes that you take care of the cape properly and you haven't shot it through the neck or something. Antelope hair slips very easily and you need to get the cape off and chilled immediately in the field. You can't hang and antelope and expect it to keep the long outer hair intact.

chris
09-03-2006, 11:22 PM
enjoy blasting some praire dogs. i sure do miss the days of doing that. they are fun and challenging to hunt. blast some of those for me. we used to call the pogo sticks. because they stand up and when you shoot them they kinda bounce around.yeah a little graphic. but a fond memory.

enjoy your hunt and good luck.

Boarding-Team-Leader
09-07-2006, 6:22 PM
I am going with fjold on the Wyoming trip and here is what I am bringing to the table.
This is a group I shot with my 25-06. Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester built by McGowen in the early 1970s. 100yds, 100 gn Barnes X molly coated. I am going to try some 100gn Nosler Balistic tip rounds tomorrow to try and shrink the group size. I am shooting factory ammo.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/223varmint/DSC00535.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/223varmint/DSC00536.jpg

I wasn't that impressed with my groups using Black Hills Blue Box Varmint.
Sun Devil lower, RRA LPK with NM trigger. DPMS 24" fluted SS upper 1-9 twist. Leupold 4.5X14X40mm A.O. Stoney Creek Target Knobs, Leupold QRW Rings. I was switching the scope back and forth between the two rifles.
The difference in zero between both rifles was about 10 inches each windage and elevation.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/223varmint/DSC00022.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/223varmint/DSC00538.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/223varmint/DSC00540.jpg

Python2
09-08-2006, 7:09 AM
does anyone know the aproximate cost of having a antelope taxadermied and placed on a headmount? this is my first big game and I want to get it done for my christmas present :D :cool:

Frank's estimate of $450 is about right. If you are in the Bay Area, call Avilla's Taxidermy in San Leandro, 510 483 6733. The guys's name is Al. He mounted five of my African game couple of years ago. Great mount. The guy here someplace in San Bruno is a little too expensive.

By the way, how and where did you arrange your Wyoming hunt? I am interested, I did draw a tag here in Kali up at Table Mountain last season. I still have the cape frozen in my freezer debating whether to have it mounted since it was my first Antelope. Horn is'nt that great.

moulton
09-08-2006, 7:43 AM
for $450 I think I'll Just get the skull and hang it over my gunsafe, proably keep the hide also

Fjold
09-08-2006, 11:33 AM
By the way, how and where did you arrange your Wyoming hunt? I am interested, I did draw a tag here in Kali up at Table Mountain last season. I still have the cape frozen in my freezer debating whether to have it mounted since it was my first Antelope. Horn is'nt that great.

A friend of mine knew the rancher there for about 20 years and got me permission to hunt there with him in 2004. I kept in contact with the rancher, struck up a friendship and he invited me to apply for either of the game management areas that his ranch is in.

anotherone
09-11-2006, 1:32 PM
Haven't been out hunting antelope myself but I was wondering... can you use slug guns or are they just too wary?

Fjold
09-11-2006, 4:42 PM
Haven't been out hunting antelope myself but I was wondering... can you use slug guns or are they just too wary?

People get them with sharp stick and string (Bowhunters) but they're usually shooting from ground blinds by water holes and ambush points, so a slug gun is possible but it's a very low percentage option.

Generally antelope are shot at 150+ yards with the average shot probably exceeding 200 yards and might even be closer to 300. I have scope settings for my gun out to 500 meters just in case but I'm expecting a shot between 250 - 400 yards.