PDA

View Full Version : Indian Valley Resevoir in Lake County

dirtydrew
02-02-2011, 1:44 PM
Guys,
I'm wanting to go pig hunting here in norcal. I'm checking out indian valley resevoir...Anyone have any experience with the area or more information?
Thanks!

tony270
02-02-2011, 2:59 PM
That area is chocked with chamise and Manzanita, and it’s more than pounded every weekend. You would have a better chance down near Laguna Mountain, the Hollister ORVA where the asbestos mines were. If you study that area you can catch the hogs going from one private ranch to another, the hogs for the most part stay on private property. Many hunting ranches plant corps like barley and have year round water to keep them around. Private ranches don’t hunt them with enough pressure to make them move.

Research the area to find out what ranches hunt hogs, then look to see what public land borders those ranches, then scout the border areas for hog sign. Now that everybody knows how I do it, you chances just became lower.

Tip… next time don’t ask a question to an exact location. Ask in general terms and for details to be sent via PM. You could have poise the question like this;
Can someone give me information on hunting in Lake County between Williams and Lucerne, how about near Clearlake Oaks? Please send me the details via PM, thanks. Then ask your direct question about IVR in a PM to whom ever responds.

taperxz
02-04-2011, 6:20 AM
That area is chocked with chamise and Manzanita, and it’s more than pounded every weekend. You would have a better chance down near Laguna Mountain, the Hollister ORVA where the asbestos mines were. If you study that area you can catch the hogs going from one private ranch to another, the hogs for the most part stay on private property. Many hunting ranches plant corps like barley and have year round water to keep them around. Private ranches don’t hunt them with enough pressure to make them move.

Research the area to find out what ranches hunt hogs, then look to see what public land borders those ranches, then scout the border areas for hog sign. Now that everybody knows how I do it, you chances just became lower.

Tip… next time don’t ask a question to an exact location. Ask in general terms and for details to be sent via PM. You could have poise the question like this;
Can someone give me information on hunting in Lake County between Williams and Lucerne, how about near Clearlake Oaks? Please send me the details via PM, thanks. Then ask your direct question about IVR in a PM to whom ever responds.

WTF????? OK Mr. Internet research man, what do you know about any of these places? IVR is not CHOCKED full of people or manzanita!! And the buck brush holds the pigs in!! Pigs ya there are some pigs in the area and no i am not going to tell anyone where the pig i want to shoot is. Pleez Tony share with us all your experiences up here in LC.

tony270
02-04-2011, 9:05 AM
WTF????? OK Mr. Internet research man, what do you know about any of these places? IVR is not CHOCKED full of people or manzanita!! And the buck brush holds the pigs in!! Pigs ya there are some pigs in the area and no i am not going to tell anyone where the pig i want to shoot is. Pleez Tony share with us all your experiences up here in LC.

You might be an internet troll, even an anti, most likey just a dip. I normally don't waste my time responding to dips like you, but if you answer 2 or 3 questions I'll post gobs of information on that area, photos too.

The first question is what kind of vehicle was abandon at the Cache Creek Red Bud Trail Crossing? The second question is what kind of equipment is at the Rocky Creek gold Mill/Mining site? The thrid and last question is what Indian sign is immediately apparent across from the Red Bud trail crossing at Rocky Creek?

If you answer at least I’ll know you are a hiker or equestrian. By the way, everybody knows that hunting sucks at IVR, as it is with most Public land that is easily accessible.

shtr45acp
02-04-2011, 9:20 AM
I go up Walker Ridge frequently. It is hunting area set aside by the govt. There are lots of rice burners there piloted by teenie boppers and twenni-sumptin's that scare most of the game away. It's srtictle hit or miss, mostly miss. Sure, there may be pigs up there, but I have seen one in the past 2 yrs and never got one. The area is polluted by young twits upthere playing with their granddads shutzenboomers and racing around on quads and rice burners, all tricked out in the latest garb, dressed to "impress". Way, way up there, on the M-1, headding towards the Mendo forest is a bit better, only because of more difficult access for the kiddies (they get scared when alone). You will have to cross a stream, which rite now is borderline do-able. Following the fire roads around will lead you back to Lucerne, and that area gets more steadily populated with the two-legged sort of piggies. It's best to go mid-week, if at all, when all the lil childrens are in school and their daddies and mommies are busy entertaining other thots. Scout. Start out about 9 or 10 in the morning, travel 20-35 mi in, and hunker down by some water in the late afternoon and wait- north east.... 1-2 hrs before sunset 'till after dark are your best bets. You will be lucky to see any game close to the resovior, so go east and north. Cow mountain would be a better bet. Redding/Red Bluff areas are much, much better. Tony270 has it rite. It may be a good way to access points more remote, but thats about it.

tony270
02-04-2011, 9:21 AM
You really are a dip. I just found this that you wrote back on November 14, 2010 that basically says the same thing. Whatís up with that dip?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5295652#post5295652

Originally Posted by r3dn3ck
^ yep. I don't care who knows... it's rough country. Without a horse you're in for a rough day. Plenty of deer north of 20 (especially some rough old haggard bucks) but no pigs or sign I've ever seen up by the reservoir.

OH! there here!! Just no in abundance, and not very visable with all the brush. I am up here now! Waiting for the right turkey!

wooger
02-04-2011, 6:07 PM
I have been going there for 21 years. There are few pigs if any at all. If you are interested in a very difficult hunt for deer trophy bucks can be had, at least 15 years ago when I last hunted there. I think that there are probably still bear that range through there. This used to be a great place to get away, please pick up your trash as you leave.

dirtydrew
02-04-2011, 6:25 PM
Thanks for the info guys.. the BLM land surrounding the area, is it open to hunting?

taperxz
02-04-2011, 7:38 PM
You might be an internet troll, even an anti, most likey just a dip. I normally don't waste my time responding to dips like you, but if you answer 2 or 3 questions I'll post gobs of information on that area, photos too.

The first question is what kind of vehicle was abandon at the Cache Creek Red Bud Trail Crossing? The second question is what kind of equipment is at the Rocky Creek gold Mill/Mining site? The thrid and last question is what Indian sign is immediately apparent across from the Red Bud trail crossing at Rocky Creek?

If you answer at least Iíll know you are a hiker or equestrian. By the way, everybody knows that hunting sucks at IVR, as it is with most Public land that is easily accessible.

Buwahahahah, I don't go anywhere need DEAD BUD, Red Bud is not near IVR!! Try again!! South side of IVR is my back yard. Private land owners have been killing pigs here, I've killed 5 bucks in the last 5 years on BLM @ IVR, and i quit hunting turkeys because there are to many of them and its not even sporting any more. OH and i own two horses and can hunt off both of them.

Talking bout trolls?? Your the one trolling through my previous posts. Why dont you read some of your very first posts asking everyone to help you cause you want to learn to hunt. ;)

taperxz
02-04-2011, 7:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys.. the BLM land surrounding the area, is it open to hunting?

Yes it is open to hunting, You can enter at Bear creek @ the hwy 16/20 junction but be careful, there is cattle back there and the guy is real nice but just be respectful. Or you can drive up to Walker Ridge road. This part is not great hunt, kinda of a nasty road. There are also some places along 20 to stop at but ya gotta park on 20 and walk in. Back down lower on 16 you can park at cowboy camp but again you gotta walk in or go horseback. Its all oaks and grassland.

dirtydrew
02-04-2011, 9:21 PM
Yes it is open to hunting, You can enter at Bear creek @ the hwy 16/20 junction but be careful, there is cattle back there and the guy is real nice but just be respectful. Or you can drive up to Walker Ridge road. This part is not great hunt, kinda of a nasty road. There are also some places along 20 to stop at but ya gotta park on 20 and walk in. Back down lower on 16 you can park at cowboy camp but again you gotta walk in or go horseback. Its all oaks and grassland.

Thank You!

tony270
02-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Delete

taperxz
02-05-2011, 9:38 PM
I rest my case Mr. Internet copy and paste research guy.

tony270
02-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Delete

taperxz
02-06-2011, 7:16 AM
Tony, with all the info you have, how come you have not mentioned anything about our ELK population?? BTW there is no access to the south side via hwy 20. There are roads, but they are all private and or gated with little public access. I know, im the one with a gate.

tony270
02-06-2011, 9:15 AM
You can't get info from me fool, jeep thinking that and road hunting. From the way you respond I'm starting to think you are a minor.

taperxz
02-06-2011, 9:44 AM
LMAO, If you only really knew. I really dont understand your philosphy. You give people intel from the internet on hunting in areas you know nothing about. I gave the OP real, credible information on how and where to hunt public land in this area. Most of this area is open to the public however there is also a ton of private land or landlocked BLM. Lots of different restrictions he needs be to aware of and the best you can do is send him pics?

Every hunter knows that just because a map or pics show something doesn't mean you can just go there and hunt. Everyone knows that input from locals that know is the best bet. The info you gave was no different than someone asking "Where can i hunt Elk?"
You would do no more than copy and paste the state of Colorado and give an explanation on how to hunt in Colorado with no regards to the particulars thus sending a poor guy on a wild goose chase.

I'm sure you know your areas in So Cal very well and are successful. The area the OP is talking about is my back yard. I gave him great intel on where and how to hunt hogs in this area. The fact that you even put Red Bud and IVR in the same sentence leads me to think you have NO idea what you're talking about, at least about anything in this area. If someone here asked about something in So Cal, and a place to hunt i wouldnt have the foggiest idea and wouldn't even try to tell them, especially from internet sources.

Why do you do this?? Why give the guy generally bad intel on where and how to hunt an area he is interested in? I'm sorry i just don't get it.

bpnclark
02-06-2011, 10:09 AM
The only thing I like about Indian Valley, Cache Creek and Knoxville is they keep all the new hunters from the Bay Area from going into the Sierras.

I donít know why someone would argue over any of them....

hybridatsun350
02-06-2011, 10:15 AM
The only thing I like about Indian Valley, Cache Creek and Knoxville is they keep all the new hunters from the Bay Area from going into the Sierras.

I donít know why someone would argue over any of them....

Seriously, I've been up to IVR quite a few times and there isn't a heck of a lot up there.

tony270
02-06-2011, 3:55 PM
I never listen to locals. I conduct my own research, you are a fool.

Okay, Iíll help you. If you have the capacity to comprehend USGS LSS maps that depict topographical features and color coded ranges or properties. If you can, I suggest you take a trip to the BLM or USGS office nearest you and research the area of concern. Then purchase the correct USGS land status maps for the area. If you canít, get someone to help you. You obviously only know what is next to the roads in that area. Hereís a big secrete, a game warden told me about that access point, plus I have stacks of Land Status maps for that area. Hey, Iíd be hauled off to jail if I did anything remotely illegal in those parts; I walk a straight line because I stand out. My mother and father thought me that.

Iím well aware of California Trespass Law and I know how to interpret topographical maps. Iím also familiar with the USGS Township and Range System. I was an Infantryman in the US Army.

Youíre fooling with a man who started hunting at 8 years old, I'm 54 now. You are still a young man, keep quit and listen and learn. If you don't like what you learn and then tried, go back to the way you were doing it befoer. I have several close friends who live in that area.

LMAO, If you only really knew. I really dont understand your philosphy. You give people intel from the internet on hunting in areas you know nothing about. I gave the OP real, credible information on how and where to hunt public land in this area. Most of this area is open to the public however there is also a ton of private land or landlocked BLM. Lots of different restrictions he needs be to aware of and the best you can do is send him pics?

Every hunter knows that just because a map or pics show something doesn't mean you can just go there and hunt. Everyone knows that input from locals that know is the best bet. The info you gave was no different than someone asking "Where can i hunt Elk?"
You would do no more than copy and paste the state of Colorado and give an explanation on how to hunt in Colorado with no regards to the particulars thus sending a poor guy on a wild goose chase.

I'm sure you know your areas in So Cal very well and are successful. The area the OP is talking about is my back yard. I gave him great intel on where and how to hunt hogs in this area. The fact that you even put Red Bud and IVR in the same sentence leads me to think you have NO idea what you're talking about, at least about anything in this area. If someone here asked about something in So Cal, and a place to hunt i wouldnt have the foggiest idea and wouldn't even try to tell them, especially from internet sources.

Why do you do this?? Why give the guy generally bad intel on where and how to hunt an area he is interested in? I'm sorry i just don't get it.

taperxz
02-06-2011, 5:50 PM
Again Tony, thanks for proving my point. Locals certainly would not know where the game is:cool2::rolleyes:

54 and hunted since you were 8? I'm sure that impresses everybody in this forum. That's good for you! I also enjoyed my time in the military.

Any way your advice to the op is still not on for the area. In fact it's wrong. You may know maps but I know that area and I know the game. Repectfully a map never put food on my families table. My knowledge and well, my finger did. Keep reading Tony!! I got a backstrap to cook.

tony270
02-07-2011, 5:48 AM
I know you are a fake, a fool that drives around pretending to be a hunter. Even believing that local folks will tell you where access is and what areas hold big game. They laugh at the fat dude that ask where he can bag a hog, turkey or deer from the side of the road. Most local in that area don't even hunt, or give a heck about some fat outsider in a jeep. See ya around, I meant to write see ya on the road:43:.

HH

taperxz
02-07-2011, 6:45 AM
YEP Nice pic and Map but its NOT IVR. What part of the OP don't you understand? Ahhh you are now really showing the forum how smart you are. LMAO NOT VERY Mr. copy and paste research man.

taperxz
02-07-2011, 6:49 AM
Mr. Copy and paste Internet Research Man. with a model 1894. I gotta make a sandwich out of last nights back straps. You look hungry in your pics. Shoot straight.

tony270
02-07-2011, 7:14 AM
It's a waste of time posting information on IVR, except to the OP, get BLM maps and contact CDFG and BLM and ask them to send you any information they have on hog hunting and big game hunting, it cost several buck but well worth it.

I know IVR like the back of my hand, fished and hunted around it. I've scouted and hunted legal land via Bear Valley Road, Walker Ridge Road, New and Old Long Valley Road, all the way to MNF, down to Cow Mt. Yountville, Rayhouse, Morgan Territory, on to Lake Berryessia, Cedar Roughs, back up to Oroville Wildlife Area up to Deweyville and Indian Valley Campground in the TNF, it goes on and on. I told the OP what I thought about IVR and you jumped in and spewed a bunch of BS info in writing that originated from the side of your neck.

taperxz
02-07-2011, 7:19 AM
Obviously it was a long time ago for you!!! The pigs have come into the area!! How did you hunt new and old long valley road??? I would really like to hear this story.

Things have changed since you have been here.

tony270
02-07-2011, 7:26 AM
Obviously it was a long time ago for you!!! The pigs have come into the area!! How did you hunt new and old long valley road??? I would really like to hear this story.

Things have changed since you have been here.

I've never wrote that I hunted New or Old Long Valley Roads, I meant that I have taken that those routes to land that is legal to hunt. Are you confused with the word via?

taperxz
02-07-2011, 7:30 AM
You didnt find anything out new or old long valley to access public property that would be a lie!! That is a private land dead zone. 100% private out there with no access to public land!! Its been that way since 1853!!

taperxz
02-07-2011, 7:34 AM
If you have really been out there you would know there is no access to public land out there. NOW, LOL if you are looking at maps?? The owners who have been there since 1853 put those roads in for themselves and gated them. NO access to public land out there sorry!! I told you maps dont tell the whole story.

taperxz
02-07-2011, 7:37 AM
It's a waste of time posting information on IVR, except to the OP, get BLM maps and contact CDFG and BLM and ask them to send you any information they have on hog hunting and big game hunting, it cost several buck but well worth it.

I know IVR like the back of my hand, fished and hunted around it. I've scouted and hunted legal land via Bear Valley Road, Walker Ridge Road, New and Old Long Valley Road, all the way to MNF, down to Cow Mt. Yountville, Rayhouse, Morgan Territory, on to Lake Berryessia, Cedar Roughs, back up to Oroville Wildlife Area up to Deweyville and Indian Valley Campground in the TNF, it goes on and on. I told the OP what I thought about IVR and you jumped in and spewed a bunch of BS info in writing that originated from the side of your neck.

Yes except to the OP. That is what the thread is about!!!!!!!! IVR

tony270
02-07-2011, 7:49 AM
You can take those roads and end up on Walker Ridge Road or in the MNF tape, County Road 221, sush, don't tell anybody, get a map fool.

taperxz
02-07-2011, 7:58 AM
Like i said, the maps show a road, they dont show the gates

tony270
02-07-2011, 8:04 AM
Detele

taperxz
02-07-2011, 8:06 AM
Hey tape, I can send you to places that hold turkeys too,

Why? Every time i feed my horses they are right there trying to jump in and feed with them.

taperxz
02-07-2011, 8:10 AM
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/taperx/IMG_0207.jpg

taperxz
02-07-2011, 10:16 AM
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/taperx/IMG_0263.jpg