PDA

View Full Version : How do you cure your harvest?

Abesnake
02-02-2011, 10:40 AM
I have been reading about what to do with a harvest after taking it. I know how to field dress an animal. That's no problem; I'm no squeamish about it. However, I am interested in how some of you care for a harvest afterwords. If you want to get it home right away assuming it isn't summer when you may really need to pack it and ice it, then, suppose you have a ways to your truck and also, then, live a great distance, say up to 10hrs. drive from home:

1.) Is it ok not to skin it, or should it be skinned and covered in, say, cheesecloth? (Growing up in Jersey I saw deer lashed on hoods all the time.)
2.) If you don't skin it how many hours do you have to safely drive home in weather no warmer than, say, 50-60 degrees? I was told up to 9hrs.
3.) Does it matter how much mass there is or the species of game it is?
4.) How do you hang it to cure, and how long do you hang it, in weather that is so warm during the day and may not get down below 40 degrees at night (I live in So. Cal).
5.) Why can't you just freeze it and then thaw out a piece for dinner whenever?
6.) How do you cure your meats is, I guess, is my general question? I'm most interested in Elk, Deer and Hogs...if there is a difference.

Just a Newbie, here. Thank Yooouuuu fo yer support!

mif_slim
02-02-2011, 1:52 PM
I hunt 6 hours away...the nearest town is 3 hours away from my hunting spot.. I tag em, dress em in the Mt. and hang em for how ever many days we'll be up in the Mt. for. Drive to nearest town, buy lots of ice and pack em in the ribs...get home, hang em in the gurage (winter time) or my studio (where I keep cold) and bag em with fresh ice. I cycle out ice when its melted and hang them for 3-4 days before I skin them. Meat comes out tender and no game-e smell to it.

Abesnake
02-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I hunt 6 hours away...the nearest town is 3 hours away from my hunting spot.. I tag em, dress em in the Mt. and hang em for how ever many days we'll be up in the Mt. for. Drive to nearest town, buy lots of ice and pack em in the ribs...get home, hang em in the gurage (winter time) or my studio (where I keep cold) and bag em with fresh ice. I cycle out ice when its melted and hang them for 3-4 days before I skin them. Meat comes out tender and no game-e smell to it.

Someone told me to d-bone the meat to get rid of the gamie taste. Is that true or you just don't mind?