PDA

View Full Version : Just moved, buying handgun

djleisure
02-01-2011, 9:39 PM
Okay, I tried search and, well, you know... I tried searching CA laws online and, uh, yeah...
I'm on an iPad and, well, if you don't know, this site is difficult on an iPad...

SO, I'm just gonna ask. I have recently moved, so my drivers license has an old address (actually two addresses old) - I don't have any gubment utilities in my name AND my vehicle reg is in my old address.

What is the easiest (money isn't really an object) way I can get legit to buy a handgun by this weekend? I'm a little frustrated that I have multiple safes full of guns, but can't find the correct combination of documents to buy a new one.

I would really appreciate any help - thanks!

CaliforniaLiberal
02-02-2011, 2:22 AM
I would ask the shop that you're buying from what they require for ID and verification of address. What's in the State PC is one thing and what an individual FFL requires is sometimes quite another. No matter what is in the law, if the FFL refuses to complete your sale.... Well there you are.

Purple K
02-02-2011, 2:40 AM
Hmmm.... Get your documents in order.

Blackhawk556
02-02-2011, 7:26 AM
You have multiple safes full of guns and you want another, why? Isn't that enough ;-)

djleisure
02-02-2011, 8:33 AM
I would ask the shop that you're buying from what they require for ID and verification of address. What's in the State PC is one thing and what an individual FFL requires is sometimes quite another. No matter what is in the law, if the FFL refuses to complete your sale.... Well there you are.
Good advice - I'll give that a shot.

Hmmm.... Get your documents in order.
No sh*t! Not helpful! ;)

You have multiple safes full of guns and you want another, why? Isn't that enough ;-)
One of the safes isn't full yet. :D

jtmkinsd
02-02-2011, 9:08 AM
A voter registration card with your new address, DMV registration, property tax bill, municipally or county owned utility bill...anything from a government agency that has your new address on it...if you can't find/get something from a government agency, you are SOL.

OriginalDuplicate
02-02-2011, 10:10 AM
I had the same issue and started calling around different FFLs. One stated that if I had an internet print out of my cable bill with the account info and my name all on it that we would be good to go.

I ended up just going to the DMV requesting a new DL..ended up waiting a week before it came and then got everything started.

Try calling a few different FFLs.

Good Luck to ya.

djleisure
02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
A voter registration card with your new address, DMV registration, property tax bill, municipally or county owned utility bill...anything from a government agency that has your new address on it...if you can't find/get something from a government agency, you are SOL.
Good info there - thank you very much.

I had the same issue and started calling around different FFLs. One stated that if I had an internet print out of my cable bill with the account info and my name all on it that we would be good to go.

I ended up just going to the DMV requesting a new DL..ended up waiting a week before it came and then got everything started.

Try calling a few different FFLs.

Good Luck to ya.
Thanks! Yeah, I filled out my change of address from online, but still haven't received any docs. :( I'll call around a bit.

I *do* have some tax docs - like 1099's with my current address - anybody use those?

jtmkinsd
02-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Good info there - thank you very much.

Thanks! Yeah, I filled out my change of address from online, but still haven't received any docs. :( I'll call around a bit.

I *do* have some tax docs - like 1099's with my current address - anybody use those?

Some FFLs may accept those, some may not. They would be good to go with me. My reasoning: It's a Federal requirement, so a Federal document should satisfy it.

djleisure
02-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Some FFLs may accept those, some may not. They would be good to go with me. My reasoning: It's a Federal requirement, so a Federal document should satisfy it.
Okay, cool. Looks like I just need to check with the specific FFL.

Thanks everyone for the helpful input!

CHS
02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Go to CA's DMV website.
Fill out a change of address for your license and any current registrations you have.
Go to Triple-A (If you're not a member, and you own a car, you SHOULD be).
Request a printout on the DMV letterhead that verifies your current license information and vehicle registration.

Now you have a valid ID + two forms of government documents showing residency.

Instead of going to Triple-A, you could go to the DMV but the time savings alone is worth the years membership that it takes to join Triple-A.

jtmkinsd
02-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Instead of going to Triple-A, you could go to the DMV but the time savings alone is worth the years membership that it takes to join Triple-A.

Ain't that the truth...$48 to do a DMV transaction and be in and out in 10 minutes...priceless.

djleisure
02-02-2011, 1:48 PM
Go to CA's DMV website.
Fill out a change of address for your license and any current registrations you have.
Go to Triple-A (If you're not a member, and you own a car, you SHOULD be).
Request a printout on the DMV letterhead that verifies your current license information and vehicle registration.

Now you have a valid ID + two forms of government documents showing residency.

I am a Triple-A member and never thought of that - great advice - thanks!

CHS
02-02-2011, 3:11 PM
I am a Triple-A member and never thought of that - great advice - thanks!

At the shop I worked at, I ALWAYS recommended that people do this (There was a AAA office across the street) and it shocked me how many people WEREN'T AAA members.

Seriously, if you own a car, it's the best investment you could ever make. The fact that it can benefit you as a gun owner is just gravy :)

12voltguy
02-02-2011, 3:38 PM
Okay, I tried search and, well, you know... I tried searching CA laws online and, uh, yeah...
I'm on an iPad and, well, if you don't know, this site is difficult on an iPad...

SO, I'm just gonna ask. I have recently moved, so my drivers license has an old address (actually two addresses old) - I don't have any gubment utilities in my name AND my vehicle reg is in my old address.

What is the easiest (money isn't really an object) way I can get legit to buy a handgun by this weekend? I'm a little frustrated that I have multiple safes full of guns, but can't find the correct combination of documents to buy a new one.

I would really appreciate any help - thanks!

Not sure you know, we have a 10 day wait after you buy...look at this thread, not sure you will get to buy without a CDL or state ID card
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=369126

Wherryj
02-02-2011, 3:48 PM

Because one more is never too many? I don't think that this is the issue at hand, it is what is required for a DROS.

Unfortunately I believe that you'll need to get your addresses up to date.

CHS
02-02-2011, 4:27 PM
Because one more is never too many? I don't think that this is the issue at hand, it is what is required for a DROS.

Unfortunately I believe that you'll need to get your addresses up to date.

I believe the smiley was an indicator of sarcasm...