PDA

View Full Version : Reply from an e-mail to CA Assemblymen etc.

jerryg1776
09-01-2006, 4:22 PM
From Assemblyman Ray haynes

I have always been a staunch supporter of gun rights, and so I always oppose laws which are basically created to restrict our 2nd Amendment Rights. For that reason, I have voted against all three of the following bills.

AB 352, Micro-stamping. This bill is in the Assembly for concurrence in Senate Amendments, and will likely come up for a vote tomorrow.

AB 2714, Purchasing ammunition over the internet. This bill is on the Senate floor, and could be voted on any time.

SB 59, reporting theft or loss of a firearm. This bill is in the Senate for concurrence in Assembly Amendments and could come up for a vote any time.

All of these bills require only a majority vote, so they could easily pass with the Democrat majorities in both houses. I would suggest that you start contacting the Governorís office and ask him to veto them should they reach his desk.

Assemblyman Ray Haynes

Wow a reply - not exactly on the subject I originally sent but it beats nothing at all.

tpliquid1
09-01-2006, 4:32 PM
i got similiar one

McClintock, Tom
<> to me
More options Aug 30 (2 days ago)

Thank you for your e-mail. I oppose all bills that harm our Second Amendment rights.

Take care,

Tom

ja391
09-01-2006, 5:00 PM
I got the message from Ray Haynes. I also got this.

From Senator Dave Cox:
Thank you for contacting my office regarding gun control legislation. I appreciate hearing from you.

My stance on additional gun control legislation has been clear. I have consistently opposed efforts to restrict the ability of law-abiding citizens to be able to purchase and legally use firearms.

Again this legislative session, numerous bills aimed at curtailing Second Amendment rights have been proposed. I have included below a summary of legislation that may be of interest to you:

Senate Bill 48 criminalizes the act of selling ammunition to an underage person whether or not the seller knew the person was underage. SB 48 passed the Senate on April 25, 2005 by a vote of 21 to 15. I voted against SB 48. The Governor signed the bill into law on October 7, 2005.

Senate Bill 59 (Lowenthal) makes it a crime for a person to not report their gun being stolen or lost to a law enforcement agency. SB 59 passed the Senate on May 31, 2005 by a vote of 22 to 15. It then passed from the Assembly on August 22, 2006 by a vote of 44 to 34. The bill is now back in the Senate where Assembly amendments must be voted on before it could advance to the Governor.

Senate Bill 357 (Dunn) and Assembly Bill 352 (Koretz) seek to implement a gun ammunition serialization program which would require every piece of ammunition sold, manufactured or possessed in the State of California to contain a unique serial number for identification purposes. The measures would also make it a crime to possess unserialized ammunition in a "public place" after July 1, 2007. SB 357 passed the Senate on June 2, 2005 but did not advance from the Assembly Appropriations Committee. I voted against SB 357 when it came before me in the Senate. AB 352 passed from the Senate on August 24, 2006 by a vote of 22 to 18. I again voted against the bill at that time. The bill is now in the Assembly.

Assembly Bill 98 (Cohn) is a very large and confusing measure that sought to extend Californiaís concealed weapons law to include as a crime possessing an unloaded and unconcealed weapon in a public place. AB 98 officially died on January 31, 2006.

Assembly Bill 944 (Ridley-Thomas) would have required firearm dealers to post a dire warning regarding the "dangers" of owning and keeping a firearm in the residence. It would have also required the same warning to be placed in all gun sales contracts. AB 944 passed the Assembly on May 26, 2005, but did not advance from the Senate Public Safety Committee.

Assembly Bill 996 (Ridley-Thomas) seeks to prohibit California retailers from displaying gun ammunition in such a way that would allow customers access to the ammunition without the help of a store employee. AB 996 passed the Senate on August 25, 2005 by a vote of 22 to 15. I voted against the bill at that time. The Governor vetoed this bill on October 7, 2005.

Assembly Bill 1002 (Nava) sought to phase out lead-based gun ammunition in the State of California by the year 2009. This bill officially died on January 31, 2006.

Assembly Bill 2111 (Haynes) resolves a technical loophole that had the potential to unfairly inconvenience California handgun buyers. The bill allows a purchaser of a DOJ-approved handgun to complete the legal transfer of the weapon in the event that the manufacturer of the weapon fails to pay a required annual fee to the federal government. I voted in favor of this measure on June 26, 2006 and the Governor signed it into law on July 12, 2006.

Assembly Bill 2714 (Torrico) requires that all handgun ammunition sales in the State of California be contingent upon verifying the purchasers age in person at the time of sale. This has the effect of banning handgun ammunition sales over the Internet and phone. AB 2714 passed from the Assembly on May 31, 2006 by a vote of 43 to 34. The bill is now in the Senate. I will not vote for this piece of legislation should it come before me.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call my office.

Sincerely,

DAVE COX

Senator, First District